What's new

RT-AC66U - Disappointing so far...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Maybe you should install Inssider on your wireless PC to get an analysis of the WiFi environment.

Maybe you should install Inssider on your wireless PC to get an analysis of the WiFi environment.

I believe I mention much earlier in this thread that I did in fact install inSSIDer. My RSSI is about -40 db for 2.4 ghz and about -52 db for 5.0 Ghz.

I live in a building that was previously owned by DuPont and used for manufacturing. It has 14" thick reinforced slabs that used to support heavy machinery, I live on the 3rd floor. I get RSSI just as good as my router from people who live on the 6th floor (signal penetrating multiple walls and extremely thick, dense floors).

I'm going to RMA the unit through Amazon and hope the next one is as good as the first.

I compared tour settings on the 5 GHz with mine and the differences are :

Wireless Mode : I have N only
Channel bandwidth : I have 40 MHz
Control Channel : I have a fixed channel
Network Key Rotation : I have 0

The 5 GHz Professional settings :
Preamble Type : I have Short
Enable Tx BurstinG : I have Disabled
Wireless Multicast Forwarding : I have Disabled

As a have the 5 GHz Wireless Mode N only I have the 2.4 GHz Wireless mode set to Auto and b/g protection on.

Test if the changes above makes any improvement for you.

I believe I mention much earlier in this thread that I did in fact install inSSIDer. My RSSI is about -40 db for 2.4 ghz and about -52 db for 5.0 Ghz.

I live in a building that was previously owned by DuPont and used for manufacturing. It has 14" thick reinforced slabs that used to support heavy machinery, I live on the 3rd floor. I get RSSI just as good as my router from people who live on the 6th floor (signal penetrating multiple walls and extremely thick, dense floors).

I'm going to RMA the unit through Amazon and hope the next one is as good as the first.

Test if the changes above makes any improvement for you.

I'll give it a try tonight, but I already have a replacement coming from Amazon. If I have the same issues with the next router I'm simply going to get a refund and buy something else.

I am going to test a Asus RT-N66U to see how the wireless is compared with the AC66U on my pc:s.

I'll give it a try tonight, but I already have a replacement coming from Amazon. If I have the same issues with the next router I'm simply going to get a refund and buy something else.

I have been away for a while... Vacation...
I came home to find that my system has seemed to stabilize out.:D
I was having the issues with the 5Ghz band on both .260 and .266 F/W.
I am currently on .266
I think ill wait for the new official release of the broadcom driver F/W and bypass .270
Here is my config.

Attachments

• 2-10-2013 6-59-40 PM.jpg
    2-10-2013 6-59-40 PM.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 477
  • 2-10-2013 7-00-30 PM.jpg
    2-10-2013 7-00-30 PM.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 361
  • 2-10-2013 7-01-04 PM.jpg
    2-10-2013 7-01-04 PM.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 355
  • 2-10-2013 7-01-39 PM.jpg
    2-10-2013 7-01-39 PM.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 315
I just wanted to update everyone on how things are going with my new AC66U (I RMA'd the previous one).

The RSSI is about 5-6 points better typically, and I don't seem to have the incredibly sporadic dropoff's that I did with the previous unit. I'm running FM 266 and 100% stock settings for everything else.

I'll update more often as time goes on.

I just wanted to update everyone on how things are going with my new AC66U (I RMA'd the previous one).

The RSSI is about 5-6 points better typically, and I don't seem to have the incredibly sporadic dropoff's that I did with the previous unit. I'm running FM 266 and 100% stock settings for everything else.

I'll update more often as time goes on.

I'm having virtually the same issue as you (I think). nevigating in the router UI is painstakingly slow. It's fine after a reboot, but after a few minutes of being back up it slows down again, same goes for testing my up/down speed via speedtest.net. :(

I'm having virtually the same issue as you (I think). nevigating in the router UI is painstakingly slow. It's fine after a reboot, but after a few minutes of being back up it slows down again, same goes for testing my up/down speed via speedtest.net. :(

What firmware are you running? I'm convinced 270 is not a performer.

I've tried 4 different FW versions... .260, .266, .270, and Merlin's .270.24. when I connect my desktop PC (every other device is turned off, no wireless connections) directly to the modem/router from my ISP (CenturyLink - Actiontec PK5000) speeds are consistent and there's no discernible dropoff. It's when I connect the RT-AC66R to the modem then test speeds that I notice it significantly slower.

Not sure if there's a setting somewhere that I should've/shouldn't have changed or what. I'm pulling my hair out. :/

Last edited:
I've tried 4 different FW versions... .260, .266, .270, and Merlin's .270.24. when I connect my desktop PC (every other device is turned off, no wireless connections) directly to the modem/router from my ISP (CenturyLink - Actiontec PK5000) speeds are consistent and there's no discernible dropoff. It's when I connect the RT-AC66R to the modem then test speeds that I notice it significantly slower.

Not sure if there's a setting somewhere that I should've/shouldn't have changed or what. I'm pulling my hair out. :/

Your ISP might require you to clone the MAC address of your previous router (or your modem in some case).

Also try leaving the modem powered off for 5-10 mins to ensure the ISP fully closes the existing connection at their end before switching to the router.

Also make sure you are using a Cat5e or Cat6 Ethernet cable between the modem and the router - older Cat5 cables will be unreliable.

Your ISP might require you to clone the MAC address of your previous router (or your modem in some case).

Also try leaving the modem powered off for 5-10 mins to ensure the ISP fully closes the existing connection at their end before switching to the router.

Also make sure you are using a Cat5e or Cat6 Ethernet cable between the modem and the router - older Cat5 cables will be unreliable.

I am using a Cat6 cable. and I will try clonging the MAC of my router. I appreciate your help. :)

Hey guys!

I'm having a problem with my AC66U.
My signal strength suddenly drops on my 5GHz network while the 2.4 is going strong.
After i go in and apply something in the UI, doesn't matter what it is, it goes back to full strength for a copule of hours...

Extremely annoying.

Hey guys!

I'm having a problem with my AC66U.
My signal strength suddenly drops on my 5GHz network while the 2.4 is going strong.
After i go in and apply something in the UI, doesn't matter what it is, it goes back to full strength for a copule of hours...

Extremely annoying.

This is a known issue yet to be resolved.

This is a known issue yet to be resolved.

So I'm not the only one?

Because I've actually been scanning the web and only found people with other problems such as not being able to connect or something.

But this problem, is it firmware or hardware-related?

My guess would be FW, since every time i change something in the UI it bounce back up to better signal strength...

So I'm not the only one?

Because I've actually been scanning the web and only found people with other problems such as not being able to connect or something.

But this problem, is it firmware or hardware-related?

My guess would be FW, since every time i change something in the UI it bounce back up to better signal strength...

You are definitely not the only one, there are threads here specifically dedicated to questioning the 5 ghz drop off after days or hours.

It probably is FW related, but in the mean time resetting the router or changing the settings seems to temporarily fix the issue.

You are definitely not the only one, there are threads here specifically dedicated to questioning the 5 ghz drop off after days or hours.

It probably is FW related, but in the mean time resetting the router or changing the settings seems to temporarily fix the issue.

Do you have any idea whether or not ASUS is aware of the issue and if they're going to do anything about it?

Because I'm seriously thinking about getting mine replaced but I'm not sure if it's worth it since it might be, as you say, a FW-problem.

What's your routers problem?

I hope they fix it ASAP. this router isn't just affecting wireless devices that connect to it, but wired connections too. :(

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!