What's new

RT-N56U upgrade to 3.0?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

5element

New Around Here
Hello,
I have a very old firmware on my RT-N56U, i.e. 1.0.0.1f or something.
Does anybody know how I can upgrade to the 3.0 firmware?
Last time I downloaded the latest 3.0 firmware and use web interface to upgrade, it rebooted and wouldn't come online. I had to use the f/w restoration tool to go back to 1.0
Do I have to do special steps to upgrade? or go to an intermediate version?
Thanks!!

You can, but you will need to do a factory default reset and reconfigure everything from scratch. Try powering it up while pressing the WPS button.

Thanks for the reply.
Let me give it a try. After it was stuck in booting up, I did a reset and restored the firmware using the utility.
I guess I should also try to access the default web page to see if I can configure it.
Thanks, will post back after I try it.

Thanks for the reply.
Let me give it a try. After it was stuck in booting up, I did a reset and restored the firmware using the utility.
I guess I should also try to access the default web page to see if I can configure it.
Thanks, will post back after I try it.

I can confirm that the old n56u I bought on eBay with the original factory firmware (old user interface) upgraded to the latest AsusWRT very nicely...no problems. Merlin's advise is well founded. Be sure to reset after the upgrade.

I tried. I upgraded using GUI to the latest 3.0.0.4.378.4850
then i pressed RESET button while powering up.
I can't even connect to the 192.168.1.1 using wire, by setting my own computer 192.168.1.2/255.255.255.0 and direct wire connection.
I have to restore it back to the older firmware.
Did I miss anything?
Thanks!

Try the WPS button, not the RESET button.

First remove the power from the router, then press and hold the WPS button, keep pressing the WPS button while plugging in the power, then keep holding the WPS button pressed for about ten seconds, then release the WPS button. This will clear the NVRAM and reset it back to factory defaults. The router should then boot up successfully after awhile.

First remove the power from the router, then press and hold the WPS button, keep pressing the WPS button while plugging in the power, then keep holding the WPS button pressed for about ten seconds, then release the WPS button. This will clear the NVRAM and reset it back to factory defaults. The router should then boot up successfully after awhile.
Thanks for the instruction! I will give it a try later.

I tried pressing the WPS button while plugging in the power. But that doesn't seem to do anything. All the lights are off. Even the LAN ports are all down.
Only after I hold reset and power up, then the lights are up. But i can't access the router by going to 192.168.1.1
Finally, i had to restore it back to the old firmware , which works again and the configuration is still there. That means the WPS button didn't erase the config..
Any other suggestion?
Thanks!

N56U have reset button...
did you try pressing reset button for 30secs instead WPS button ?

i think WPS reset is for newer model, i am not really sure though

How to go back to Previous firmware? my RT-N56U older firmware was 3.0.0.4.376 which had VPN client tab, upgraded to 3.0.0.4.378 which doesnt have VPN client tab, I need to configure VPN on router.
Which firmware best for VPN use ?
How to get and flash old firmware ?

How to go back to Previous firmware? my RT-N56U older firmware was 3.0.0.4.376 which had VPN client tab, upgraded to 3.0.0.4.378 which doesnt have VPN client tab, I need to configure VPN on router.
Which firmware best for VPN use ?
How to get and flash old firmware ?

You can go to Asus website and download the Firmware Restoration tool. It allows you to upload an older version of firmware. And of course, you have to have a copy of the older firmware.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!