What's new

RT-N66U, another beta firmware: 3.0.0.3_155

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Poseidon: Install Wifi Analyzer from Google Play and see what your signal looks like on the 5 GHz band. I currently get -30 dB on my Motorola Xoom while in the same room, and -50 dB in the next room.

Already had WiFi Analyzer installed on my phone (terrific app) and here are my results:

Within 2-3 feet away from N66U: fluctuates every few seconds from -35 dB to -45 dB

Same room as N66U (10-15 feet away): -50 dB

Different room (same floor, separated by 2 walls): -65 dB to -70dB

FYI, on the 2.4 Ghz....I'm still connected to my WiFi as far as 150+ feet, outside and down one story. Just the 5Ghz is failing badly.

Also, does the positioning of the 3 external antennas have anything to do with signal strengths (either positive or negative)? If so, what is the best/recommended position that the 3 antennas should be pointed?

Last edited:
Already had WiFi Analyzer installed on my phone (terrific app) and here are my results:

Within 2-3 feet away from N66U: fluctuates every few seconds from -35 dB to -45 dB

It does seem to attenuate a bit faster than me. I'm not sure however if it's due to the fact that my tablet probably has better antennas than a phone. We'd need to see the results from anyone else also using a 5 GHz-capable phone to compare.

Antenna position can definitely make a difference. Their positioning will depend on where your router is located, but in general I'd put them in three different directions and angles to help with coverage. You will have to experiment with it to see what works best for you.

FYI, on the 2.4 Ghz....I'm still connected to my WiFi as far as 150+ feet, outside and down one story. Just the 5Ghz is failing badly.

Also, does the positioning of the 3 external antennas have anything to do with signal strengths (either positive or negative)? If so, what is the best/recommended position that the 3 antennas should be pointed?

You might start where Asus suggests. My router is in the "inclined from vertical" position...I'll always use a more vertical position so that the cooling is better. Asus suggests the middle antenna be vertical, and the two side ones at a 45 degree outward angle from vertical. I find that this works for me. Then I have the body of the router "pointed" in the direction where the longest path is for my router. Since the router is at the back of the house, and my living room where I often use my iPad, iPhone, and laptop is in the front of my house, the router body is angled in that direction, broadside to it.

This orientation works well for me, inSSIDer shows my signal at about -42 to -48 dBm on the 2.4GHz. band at the sofa in my living room *smile*, which is the best I've had for any single router in house...I used to need an AP in the living room, but don't with this router.

Antenna position can definitely make a difference. Their positioning will depend on where your router is located, but in general I'd put them in three different directions and angles to help with coverage. You will have to experiment with it to see what works best for you.

I was also asking myself the same question the other day and experimented a bit with antenna placement. I couldn't believe how much difference it could make! The difference in RSSI between the worst and the most effective position was over 10dBm!
Actually, in my case, putting them in 3 different directions wasn't giving me the best results. However, I am using my computer mainly in one place only so that's where I want the signal to be the strongest. The best way for me is all 3 antennas parallel and 45 degrees forward (router placed upright).

As Merlin pointed out, you should experiment and figure out your best placement.

Last edited:
Once upgrade to beta firmware if I have issue, can I downgrade to original firmware?

Yes, however going back to a firmware version without 64 KB nvram support will wipe out all your settings.

Version 3.0.0.3.162
Description ASUS RT-N66U B1 Firmware Version 3.0.0.3.162
Fix bugs:
1. UI related bugs
2. Network map cannot show device name.
3. QoS control for wired connected devices.
4. Special character name/password issue in VPN server.
5. Download master installing issue in AP mode.
6. PPPoE compatibility issue.
7. L2TP compatibility issue.
8. Sonos audio system and network map compatibility issue. Special thanks to Merlin for his contribution.
9. IPv6 6in4 memory leak
10.IPTV multicast related issues
11.FTP/Samba account change issue

Modified
1. Enable cross night setting in wireless radio on/off setting page.
2. Enable Beceem Wimax support.
3. Change default wireless security to WPA-AES in QIS.
4. Add Spanish language.
5. Modify VPN server UI.
6. Tune IPv6 connection for ComCast
7. Upgrade 3G profile

Download master 3.1.0.59
1. BT cache size changed to 256KB
2. Support crosse night schedule setting
3. Show amulle server connection status
4. Modify the HDD free space detection behavior
5. Fix download master association tool connection issue
6. Fix the torrent file add problem when changed the download directory
7. Modify the downloading task refresh process

Download master association tool 2.0.3.3
1. Support manget link and ed2k on Google Chrome, Firefox, IE
2. Fix the manget link association issue on Win7 64bit IE9
3. Fix the ed2k download issue on IE

http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=11&m=RT-N66U (VER.B1)&os=8

Tried on both 112 and 162, not sure if mine is defect, I have two wifi cam (640x480), when watch them on a PC (2.4Ghz), it's frame per second drops significantly to merely 1, 2 from normal 10 fps, then while watching the wifi cam, HD streaming (on a different PC on 5Ghz) lag become very frequent. It seems though any multiple video data transmission will jam each other, including running inssider at the same. Is this expected from RT-N66U? I don't use ip6. The router perform wonderfully when only one device is streaming, speedtest gives me up to 30mb peak, even at the far end of its 2.4Ghz signal coverage.

I thought this is a high end router. As much as I dislike EA4500's coverage, it doesn't have this problem. Can the chip speed in these two routers make such a drastic difference? Some said linksys got a faster chip.

update: I finally found a setup works with everything to my satisfaction. It is RT-N66U, set 2.4G at 20mhz and 5G at 40mhz, then set all my desktop PC adapter to use 5g only. Android, laptop and wifi cam all on 2.4g, then the asus is rocking. Tried the same setup on EA4500, not even near the throughput and reach of asus.

Last edited: