What's new

Smart Sync "upload to Cloud" not working (FTP)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

lamp159

Occasional Visitor
Hi,
I'm running Firmware:376.47 (Merlin build) in a RT-AC66U.
In AICloud > Smart Sync, I see something awesome: in addition to Asus WebStorage now it also supports DropBox, FTP, and Samba. This is great!!!

I've configured FTP, with rule "upload to Cloud".
The problem is, it shows like it is all done, and "Finished" but the truth is that in the FTP location there are just a few files and some root folder without any content (content that is present in the local drive).
How can I tell it that it is NOT done?
Is there a log somewhere?
The 'Log' tab is empty, and the 'System Log' says nothing about this.
Is this a known issue? (i.e. AiCloud 2.0 - Smart Sync FTP is not working)
How can I troubleshoot this problem?
I've already tried to stop and restart "Smart Sync", and it ends in the same way: green arrow, green check-mark and Connection status = "Finish".
Hovering over "Finish" says "There is no record."
Thanks!

No comments?

GH

In my case, it's about Router to Router sync...

Either it doesn't work at all (not just for FTP), either we are at least 3 persons not understanding how it works.

Maybe nobody uses it. If it is the case, why are these features proposed ?

GH

I tried router to router sync, for me also its not working. i am also getting same problem. Some times it shows sync completed but nothing is done and sometimes its keep showing sync for hours but still nothing got sync.

Firmware:376.48_1

So far we have 4 "testimonies", and none of them is a description of something working well.

• Does somebody had ever any success using this feature ?
  • What can be done (other than a IQ test) to decide if I am just "too stupid" to make it working, or if it is just a bug ?
  • If it is just a bug, what can be done ?
  • If I'm just "too stupid", what can be... Well, forget it!

Thanks,

GH

Last edited:
I can confirm that the feature was working in RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_374.43

Had been using it for the past year with great success.

It only broke for me when I updated to the recent firmware after reading your thread to test.

So it seems to have been broken in a version after RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_374.43

Hope this helps.

I plan on downgrading my firmware this weekend to restore functionality.

I can confirm that the feature was working in RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_374.43
Had been using it for the past year with great success.
It only broke for me when I updated to the recent firmware after reading your thread to test.
So it seems to have been broken in a version after RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_374.43
Hope this helps.
I plan on downgrading my firmware this weekend to restore functionality.
I'm looking forward to see the results of your next weekend experiment.

If you are right, there could be a lot of people using it with a false sense of confidence (because they start using it at version ~43 and it was working well) for backup purpose ? No alarm, no error, but the backup is no longer working...

Will see,

GH

Absolutely

I would leave the office and get home and continue working with my files already synced and available on the USB drive attached to the second RT-N66U

As soon as I updated to the latest firmware, the sync stopped.

Just saw a new firmware released by merlin,

376.48_3 (20-Nov-2014)
- FIXED: NAT loopback was broken on MIPS devices
(backported Asus fix from 376_3626)

Going to try that now and will report back again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huotg01 View Post
IMerlin,
Is this fix [376.48_3 ]related by any means to the "cloud sync" (or router to router sync) problem discussed in the thread http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/sh...ad.php?t=19704 ?
GH
No. The NAT loopback is what allows you to access a forwarded port from within your LAN.
A large portion of AiCloud is closed-source, so not much I can do about it.

Am'I ok to say that I have to go back to the last official Asus firmware before calling Asus for this problem ? Other suggestions ?

You are right. I updated to this firmware, did factory resets on both routers and the sync still isn't working.

Looks like I will have no choice but to go back to the old firmware.

Bummer

Perhaps the best course of action is to contact Asus support and report the AIcloud ftp sync problem.

Downgraded one router this morning to 374.43 and the sync began working immediately

Note, the second router (at my office) is still running the latest version firmware...RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_376.48_3

Ideally I would prefer to have both on the same firmware but will leave it like this for now and monitor.

WorkingSync.jpg

Perhaps the best course of action is to contact Asus support and report the AIcloud ftp sync problem.
Just for clarification: this problem is not specific to AIcloud ftp sync, it also affects Router to Router (as used by opheliagrimm and I)
Downgraded one router this morning to 374.43 and the sync began working immediately
Note, the second router (at my office) is still running the latest version firmware...RT-N66U_3.0.0.4_376.48_3
Ideally I would prefer to have both on the same firmware but will leave it like this for now and monitor.
Great job opheliagrimm
What is your sign to "decide" if it is working or not ?

You know that either nobody is using this feature, or a lot of people could be in big trouble without even knowing it ?

Please keep us posted about what you will find out (I will do the same).

GH

Router to Router sync

I also downgraded (both sides) to 376.43
Will see what happens.

@opheliagrimm
You noticed that it was working on 376.43
Obviously it doesn't work on 376.48
Have you tried in between versions ?

Also, just to make sure, let's say that I want to "back-up" one way the folder "Backup" on my side towards my partner side. I'm supposed to find the copy of my folder on the shared (Backup-GH) predefined on my partner Router for that purpose ? If not, what should I look at ?

Thanks

You know that either nobody is using this feature, or a lot of people could be in big trouble without even knowing it ?

GH

hahah, yes I am beginning to think it is the former.

Router to Router sync is a fantastic feature but there is a lot of competition in this space from dropbox, google drive, microsoft onedrive, NAS devices and more. Many consumers will opt for one of these "easy" options rather than jump through all the hoops to use the Asus solution.

A real shame.

I am going to stick with it as long as we can get it working reliably. No limits on space and bandwidth, for free. Can't argue with that!

The sync worked through many versions. Been on Merlin from day one of my RT N66U purchase. So yes, tested across several different firmware.

The most recent being 374.43

When I got to work, I noticed only new files (created since the firmware downgrade) were being synced.

Later today I downgraded the second router at the office as well in a hope to get a full sync completed. As mentioned before, both routers are normally kept on the same version to eliminate any incompatibility issues.

So now both home and the office are back to running firmware 374.43

Hopefully tomorrow I will see that all files are fully synced.

Let me know if you are having success with this version of the firmware as well.

The way mine is setup, On the Office Router, I create the sync invite (You have to select a folder off the external drive for the sync...in my case it is called "Data")

On the home router, when I "accept" the invite by clicking on the link generated in step 1, the Home Router prompts me to select a folder on its external drive to sync with "Data"

For consistency sake, I also use a folder called "Data" on the home router.

Both of these folders are mapped as drive Z: for easy access by users.

So my office machines are mapped to \\asusrouter-office\data
and home machines are mapped to \\asusrouter-home\data

Router to Router sync keeps both mirrored.

In your case...you would choose the one way sync instead but the process remains the same.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
@opheliagrimm
In he AiCloud menu, there is tab named "Log".
Have you ever seen something in this tab ?

Thanks.

Absolutely, see below...(note, the log only displays data on the "host" router, where you first created the sync...the client router's log remains blank perpetually)

Also, pleased to report that since placing both routers back on the old firmware, the router-to-router sync is working again.

Full sync completed this morning!

asuscloudsync.jpg

Absolutely, see below...(note, the log only displays data on the "host" router, where you first created the sync...the client router's log remains blank perpetually)

Thanks. My log is empty...
I will start over this morning et see what happens.

I will keep you posted.

Last edited:
Posted 23 June 2014 - 05:30 AM
I'm having the exact same problem, but got to this thread only trying look up why I was seeing these error logs in my Asus AC68 router:

miniupnpd[643]: sendto(udp): Operation not permitted

After reading this thread, I'm amazed to also learn this is why my wifi is also dropping out periodically. I've always thought that it was something wonky with the router itself, and unrelated to the udp error messages in the logs.

So in short, yes, add me to the list of people with Asus routers, and PMS causing massive issues.

#16 Plex taking down my router?: post #16 john9527

Posted 30 July 2014 - 06:30 PM
Just an update for everyone....I was able to isolate a timing issue in the miniupnpd code and test a fix for it. The fix is now committed in the miniupnpd code.

If your router is an Asus RT-AC68U/AC68R the fix has been picked up in the latest Merlin release (376.44).
- FIXED: Miniupnpd error flood in Syslog when using a Plex server on your LAN (fix from upstream)

When going back to 374.43, just take the above into account...

GH