What's new

Stealth Mode N66u

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

asusrocks

Occasional Visitor
I just started using Merlin's firmware on my n66u a few weeks ago and love it. I am curious to know how I can turn my n66u into stealth mode (no leds flashing). I saw Merlin post on twitter about this functionality but I am not sure how to do this. Thanks for you time and information.

The feature isn't available yet, it will be part of the next release. No ETA yet, as it will depend on other things I want to look into before the next release.

Sounds good, thanks for the fast reply. This would be a great feature as my router sits mid living room and during a movie at night all I see are like 8 flickering bright blue leds. :)

For those wondering: we're referring to a new option I'm implementing which will let you turn off ALL the LEDs on the router. The part that was stomping me so far (I actually started looking at this months ago) was the switch led control. Fortunately I recently found a script in another firmware that showed the register values to write to the Ethernet switch to completely disable its LEDs. Power and USB were easy, and the wifi LED control where in a non-documented option of the "wl" tool :)

So yeah: next version should allow the Dark Knight to go into full Stealth Mode :D I just need to do additional tests to ensure there's no corner case that might force one of the LEDs back on.

The RT-N66U is proving more problematic. While it works perfectly on the RT-AC66U, the RT-N66U 5G LED doesn't seem to be controllable so far - only the 2G LED.

EDIT: Actually after lots of poking at it, I might have located it :)

Last edited:
green mode

It would be nice to have a "invert_leds.sh".

Because my router is inside a closet it saves energy, but if you want to check the router you see it's LEDs flash now and then. :)

It would be nice to have a "invert_leds.sh".

Because my router is inside a closet it saves energy, but if you want to check the router you see it's LEDs flash now and then. :)

I removed both scripts, as they were now pretty useless. The actual logic was moved into the binary code, with a "Stealth Mode" option on the webui.

Turning one led on or off will be quite simple to do over telnet. For example, this will turn the Power LED on:

led_ctrl 0 1

You would have to temporarily disable the Stealth Mode override first however if it was enabled, to be allowed to toggle a LED on:

nvram set led_disable=0
led_ctrl 0 1
nvram set led_disable=1

Inverting would be tricky, because it's not always possible to know what's the current state of a LED.

Manually fully enabling (or disabling) will be pretty similar:

nvram set led_disable=1
nvram commit
service restart_leds

If you still wanted a toggle script and never manually change the LED states (so they aren't in a half-disabled or half-enabled state), you could easily write a script that would check the led_disable value, reverse it, and re-start the leds service.

Last edited:
Hello RMerlin, thanks so much for this info on the N66U,

So is each and every led light a different number?

led_ctrl 0, 1, 2, 3 etc??

If so, is there any thread you can provide, or info on which numbers match which lights? I would like to have one script that would turn all led's off at say 9pm, then at 9am turn them back on again. I know I can toggle that setting for all, but would like to figure this out with a script and schedule it.

Thanks, housej55

Hello RMerlin, thanks so much for this info on the N66U,

So is each and every led light a different number?

led_ctrl 0, 1, 2, 3 etc??

If so, is there any thread you can provide, or info on which numbers match which lights? I would like to have one script that would turn all led's off at say 9pm, then at 9am turn them back on again. I know I can toggle that setting for all, but would like to figure this out with a script and schedule it.

Thanks, housej55

See post #8 in this thread - the last block of commands will show you how to enable/disable all LEDs through scripting. Manually turning one LED on/off at a time isn't efficient.

Boo .. unfortunately my firmware (Shibby AIO 104) doesn't support the led_ctrl command, shows not found. I did have yours in but couldn't find a "Bandwidth Limitation" setting like what I see in Tomato :(

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!