What's new

[Test build] Asuswrt-Merlin 380.65 alpha builds

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Compiled last night Alpha 4 with the last commit Wed Jan 4 01:00:58 UTC 2017 root@46b6ac2)
Flashed.Testing
Here what i found with the ($%?&$/) FireFox with the gui:
Guest Network = Upper left corner
TooLs -other settings = i think the "Auto check for new firmware" is missing
Admin-Firmware upgrade= lack of space between the "Check button " and "Upload button" and checkbox for beta is missing too
Tried with IE: Everything look ok with the GUI except for :
"Auto check for new firmware" is still missing in the tools -other settings and the "Checkbox for Beta" in Admin-Fw upgrade is missing too

There is 2 new lines apparairing in syslog when exiting the Adaptive QoS tab:

Jan 4 13:53:08 start_nat_rules: apply the nat_rules(/tmp/nat_rules_vlan2_vlan2)!
Jan 4 13:53:08 miniupnpd[1627]: HTTP listening on port 45481
Jan 4 13:53:08 miniupnpd[1627]: Listening for NAT-PMP/PCP traffic on port 5351
The check for new firmware is disabled by default in self compiled firmwares, it's intentional.

The check for new firmware is disabled by default in self compiled firmwares, it's intentional.

Exactly. I did that largely so people creating forks won't be hitting my update server if they failed to properly update the target.mak build profiles to disable it.

There is 2 new lines apparairing in syslog when exiting the Adaptive QoS tab:

Nothing new there, these two lines will appear whenever miniupnpd is restarted.

Just for fun... work free day and I tested a compile. (using the assarbad script)

Alpha 4 works just fine for my needs.

About: (latest of the latest)
http://imgur.com/a/r0lFK

I tried The alpha 3 build on my 3100 and when my OpenVPN client is active it cuts off internet access to all my wifi devices, I setup all the same settings i had on my router was on .64 so far everything else seems to work ok ...

Heads up to anyone with lots of custom scripts. The shell in the new Busybox version doesn't allow the "local" keyword to be used outside of a function anymore. This keyword is used to restrict the scope of a variable.

Just compiled and flashed Asuswrt-Merlin-380.65-alpha4, and I've been correcting my scripts for the past couple hours.

alpha 4 builds are currently being uploaded (give it a few minutes).

Code:
f6624a8 samba36: add a few minor optimizations based on the BRT-AC828's GPL
ea0cbe6 rc: new update-notification user script that gets run if a new firmware is available for download
3761d25 openvpn: implement tls-crypt support
e91db69 webui: Display warning if you enable a setting on the OpenVPN server page that will generate a .ovpn client file that will require clients to be running 2.4.0 or newer
9183ca4 openvpn: make legacy "lzo" and "no" compression modes use legacy config keywords in the generated ovpn client file
8871721 httpd: replace a few sprintf() calls with snprintf() where the input might be larger than expected
8a26f54 openvpn: default port for server 2 changed to 1195, so both servers on default settings can be started at the same time
ad2c5fc webui: fix the formatting for the openvpn server reset to default warning
8c387c9 httpd: Fix size detection (char * = 4, versus the actual buffer being 64)
002c2a5 Updated documentation
b084cd6 Updated documentation
8aa1424 dropbear: fix commit 085ce27e319e0fa6b23192e812aba4cf9243a5f9
b9fcc74 httpd: protect against potential buffer overrun in case of hostname > 63 characters
8056c9c httpd: prevent buffer overrun/crash
085ce27 dropbear: remove hardcoded -a option from the daemon launch
f72183c dropbear: initialize variable and protect against NULL dereferencement
e22e753 dropbear: initialize variable
46b6ac2 cloudcheck: updated SDK7 exe (missed in 4180 GPL merge)
e3652ac Updated documentation
fbd9c7e Bumped revision to alpha 4
263a40c openvpn: remove webui support for the RC ciphers.  DES is kept for now, for legacy reasons.
e2e83cf nano: updated to 2.7.3 (closes #1172)
38ba303 openvpn: Replace obsoleted "client-cert-not-required" with "verify-client-cert none"
bd291a8 webui: revert f12db7dcd2dd93cde9759d4d5be8a1295655d066 to fix hitbox position on the checkbox (closes #1167); fix installed version display
3f0224c webui: fix index position of the Tools menu

alpha 4 added a new update-notification user script. Here is an example update-notification script that will email you when a new firmware is available. This script is designed for GMail, shouldn't be too hard to adapt to your own ISP's SMTP.

Code:
#!/bin/sh

# SMTP parameters
SMTP="smtp.gmail.com"
PORT="465"
USERNAME="you@gmail.com"
PASSWORD="gmail-password"

# Mail Enveloppe
FROM_NAME="Router"
FROM_ADDRESS="you@gmail.com"
TO_NAME="Your Name"
TO_ADDRESS="you@gmail.com"

### Do not change below

# Retrieve version
TMPVERS=$(nvram get webs_state_info)
VERS=${TMPVERS:5:3}.${TMPVERS:8:10}
ROUTER_IP=$(nvram get lan_ipaddr)

echo "From: \"$FROM_NAME\" <$FROM_ADDRESS>" > /tmp/mail.txt
echo "To: \"$TO_NAME\" <$TO_ADDRESS>" >> /tmp/mail.txt
echo "Subject: New router firmware notification" >> /tmp/mail.txt
echo "" >> /tmp/mail.txt
echo "New firmware version $VERS is now available for your router at $ROUTER_IP." >> /tmp/mail.txt

curl --url smtps://$SMTP:$PORT \
  --mail-from "$FROM_ADDRESS" --mail-rcpt "$TO_ADDRESS" \
  --upload-file /tmp/mail.txt \
  --ssl-reqd \
  --user "$USERNAME:$PASSWORD" --insecure

rm /tmp/mail.txt

Might be a good idea to define an application password to use here, since your GMail password would end up stored in the clear in that script.

Enabling tls-crypt (Encrypt channel), I am no longer able to connect.
I do not know if there is something wrong.

s.1483954939.jpg

alpha 4 added a new update-notification user script. Here is an example update-notification script that will email you when a new firmware is available. This script is designed for GMail, shouldn't be too hard to adapt to your own ISP's SMTP.

Code:
#!/bin/sh

# SMTP parameters
SMTP="smtp.gmail.com"
PORT="465"
USERNAME="you@gmail.com"
PASSWORD="gmail-password"

# Mail Enveloppe
FROM_NAME="Router"
FROM_ADDRESS="you@gmail.com"
TO_NAME="Your Name"
TO_ADDRESS="you@gmail.com"

### Do not change below

# Retrieve version
TMPVERS=$(nvram get webs_state_info)
VERS=${TMPVERS:5:3}.${TMPVERS:8:10}
ROUTER_IP=$(nvram get lan_ipaddr)

echo "From: \"$FROM_NAME\" <$FROM_ADDRESS>" > /tmp/mail.txt
echo "To: \"$TO_NAME\" <$TO_ADDRESS>" >> /tmp/mail.txt
echo "Subject: New router firmware notification" >> /tmp/mail.txt
echo "" >> /tmp/mail.txt
echo "New firmware version $VERS is now available for your router at $ROUTER_IP." >> /tmp/mail.txt

curl --url smtps://$SMTP:$PORT \
  --mail-from "$FROM_ADDRESS" --mail-rcpt "$TO_ADDRESS" \
  --upload-file /tmp/mail.txt \
  --ssl-reqd \
  --user "$USERNAME:$PASSWORD" --insecure

rm /tmp/mail.txt

Might be a good idea to define an application password to use here, since your GMail password would end up stored in the clear in that script.
How is this script triggered?
Also, I see no longer a setting to enable/disable notification option for new firmware, it used to be in Tools/Other settings I believe.

for the Open 2.4.0 requirement, do you know how this will this affect OpenVpn for iOS? 1.0.7 is the latest version for iOS...

Every 48 hours the watchdog checks for the availability of a new firmware. If there's one, then the script is executed.

Also, I see no longer a setting to enable/disable notification option for new firmware, it used to be in Tools/Other settings I believe.

That's because the alpha 4 builds were compiled without the firmware check update (forgot to update the build targets to enable it, and since it takes over 90 minutes to recompile all builds, it will have to wait)

for the Open 2.4.0 requirement, do you know how this will this affect OpenVpn for iOS? 1.0.7 is the latest version for iOS...

1.0.7 is definitely not the version of the OpenVPN client used by that applications, it has to be 2.something. Check its documentation/about to determine which version it uses.

Enabling tls-crypt (Encrypt channel), I am no longer able to connect.
I do not know if there is something wrong.

View attachment 8216

Did you re-export the ovpn file to apply the same changes on your client?

tls-crypt was working fine when I tested it.

Also, check beta firmware button in the admin/firmware upgrade page is missing.

NVM It's already answered above.

Last edited:
Every 48 hours the watchdog checks for the availability of a new firmware. If there's one, then the script is executed.
I feel stupid, where is the script located? It's name?
Can't see anything on my AC1900.

With Alpha 4 the router queries dns.msftncsi.com, every couple of seconds or so:
Code:
Jan  9 18:02:11 dnsmasq[12226]: query[A] dns.msftncsi.com from 127.0.0.1
Jan  9 18:02:11 dnsmasq[12226]: cached dns.msftncsi.com is 131.107.255.255
Jan  9 18:02:16 dnsmasq[12226]: query[AAAA] dns.msftncsi.com from 127.0.0.1
Jan  9 18:02:16 dnsmasq[12226]: cached dns.msftncsi.com is fd3e:4f5a:5b81::1
As this is from localhost, I checked your source, in defaults.c it probes the host and expects Microsofts answer that the internet is alive and well:
Code:
    { "dns_probe_host", "dns.msftncsi.com" },    // host to resolve
#ifdef RTCONFIG_IPV6
    { "dns_probe_content", "131.107.255.255 fd3e:4f5a:5b81::1" },    // resolve target addr or wildcard *
#else
    { "dns_probe_content", "131.107.255.255" },    // resolve target addr or wildcard *

It's actually been there since 380.61. Any windows clients also probes the same address for internet connectivity.
I have disabled these queries in all my Windows boxes. Hence my surprise when I checked the log.
Every 2 secs seems excessive to me though.

Status
Not open for further replies.