What's new

Traffic Limiter / Bandwidth Cap -- Is It Possible?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thanks for the input guys. I saw where Merlin mentioned the Traffic Limiter was turned off, but those quotes were pulled from the BETA testing thread I originally linked. I was hopeful that maybe it had been further developed and turned on since the beta and I was missing it.

Merlin, any idea when Traffic Limiter might be released for actual use?

In regards to the other issue about HDD speeds. I also have an external drive setup for use on the network and not ecstatic with the results. It feels very slow to R&W. I haven't done any testing yet to determine actual speeds. What tools are you using to test?

In regards to the other issue about HDD speeds. I also have an external drive setup for use on the network and not ecstatic with the results. It feels very slow to R&W. I haven't done any testing yet to determine actual speeds. What tools are you using to test?
I also have the N66U. If you're sharing your HDD with Samba then it's never going to be quick even with a fast HDD. The bottleneck is the weak CPU and lack of RAM (which Samba relies on for performance) in the N66U.
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wire...wireless-n900-gigabit-router-reviewed?start=2

What else we can use instead of samba? I currently have checked with samba. AC68U
That depends mostly on your clients. If you want "Windows" sharing it's Samba. If your clients are predominantly Unix then NFS could be a good choice. If you want to go "old-school" you could use FTP. Heck, you could even try SCP! But for 99% of users it's going to be Samba.

That depends mostly on your clients. If you want "Windows" sharing it's Samba. If your clients are predominantly Unix then NFS could be a good choice. If you want to go "old-school" you could use FTP. Heck, you could even try SCP! But for 99% of users it's going to be Samba.

Ok i shall try different ways you mentioned, should i expect speed changes

Ok i shall try different ways you mentioned, should i expect speed changes
I would expect some speed differences, but whether they will be significant or not is impossible to predict because there are too many variables. All you can do is try it and see.

I would expect some speed differences, but whether they will be significant or not is impossible to predict because there are too many variables. All you can do is try it and see.
I was quite glad to see 20s and 30s megabit speeds.

AC68U | 1Ghz | 380.59

This test results are:

SAMBA:
Wired: upto 15MB/s(R) and 8MB/s(W)
Wireless: upto 10MB/s(R) and 7MB(W)

FTP:
Wired: upto 37-39MB/s(R/W)
Wireless: upto 17MB/s(R/W)

I was very happy to see this FTP speeds! atleast getting half of other people.

@L&LD

Last edited:

Can you elaborate more on how to configure as NFS or FTP? Or point me in the right direction?

Currently the 2 computers that need to access the shared drive are both Macs pushing OS X. Being based on Unix, I assume I could use the NFS method for these Macs. This is a private home network and I don't foresee needing (or wanting) any Windows users to have access. Looking forward, I could see myself eventually transitioning over to a Linux machine at some point in the future. Once I have learned and sufficient in that environment (currently in self-teaching mode).

@nolimits76 Sorry I don't use OS X so can't offer any advice on that. I understand Macs are quite popular ;) so I'm sure there are plenty of how-to's on the web.

Can you elaborate more on how to configure as NFS or FTP? Or point me in the right direction?

Currently the 2 computers that need to access the shared drive are both Macs pushing OS X. Being based on Unix, I assume I could use the NFS method for these Macs. This is a private home network and I don't foresee needing (or wanting) any Windows users to have access. Looking forward, I could see myself eventually transitioning over to a Linux machine at some point in the future. Once I have learned and sufficient in that environment (currently in self-teaching mode).
Configure?
Just turn on the FTP mode on router if not , and go to the file manager(I don't know what it is said in mac), and enter the ftp address as ftp://192.168.X.X/

X= ur router's ip.