What's new

Using attached USB drive

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I can't imagine that ASUS expect users to have to get to grips with relatively-complex procedures like logging in with SSH and formatting the USB drive to EXT.. I have always used the GUI in the past and never encountered any problems.
I have managed to discover that for some reason, Bitdefender Total Security was blocking the formatting of the USB drive to FAT, (it works while I don't have it on my system), but I still cannot create any folders to share, either by using my own Windows 10 laptop (wired or wireless) or my employers laptop. I did try formatting to EXT2 using EaseUS Partition Master but it still wouldn't work.

I'm uploading some screenshots from the GUI and here is the log from the successful FAT formatting:-

mkfatfs 3017.7.17.3

Device: "/dev/sda"

Volume Label: "CAMERASDATA"

Sector size: 512 bytes

Volume size: 123174912 sectors (63065554944 bytes)

Cluster size: 32768 bytes

FAT: 32 bits

Writing root directory...

Writing file allocation table...

Writing reserved region...

Writing backup boot region...

Writing FSInfo sector...

Writing boot region...

Syncing device...

Formatted volume "/dev/sda" successfully!

In the picture (Network Map)... see the apostrophe in the drive's name? That will prevent things working correctly.... js

Your USB device doesn't have a partition table (which is quite common for flash drives). That might be confusing the router.

Download amtm and use it's Format Disk (fd) option.

I cannot figure out why my DDNS address https://NAMEOFDRIVE.asuscomm.com:8443 with Let's Encrypt Cert installed & OK pulls the router's GUI login & router menu? Locally & from the internet! I can access the drive fine from notebook by going under network folder, or from android phone by using ftp address & login cred's in ES File Explorer app....
but even getting someone from abroad to try with signin info it just pulls the router's firmware GUI??!!!!
PLEASE, ANY HELP
Same WD Easystore 2GB drive been using on all Asus routers last 5 years.....