What's new

Warranty with Asuswrt-Merlin installed.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

oshia86

Occasional Visitor
Just a quick question before I try to get an RMA setup with my AC66U. I had previously had the router repaired/replaced but had ASUS's stock firmware on it at the time. Now, the router died with a recent version of Asuswrt-Merlin installed. My question, will ASUS throw a flag at this? I can't get logged into the router anymore to flash it back, as it just completely died this time.

Just a quick question before I try to get an RMA setup with my AC66U. I had previously had the router repaired/replaced but had ASUS's stock firmware on it at the time. Now, the router died with a recent version of Asuswrt-Merlin installed. My question, will ASUS throw a flag at this? I can't get logged into the router anymore to flash it back, as it just completely died this time.

So far, nobody ever came up with an official answer for this. Personally, I *think* it shouldn't be a problem (Asus having even advertised DD-WRT compatibility on their own website in the past for the RT-N16 and previous models), but I could be wrong.

I doubt if anybody would be bothered to find out what firmware there is on a dead router, even Asus themselves.

Here in the UK, the dealer is responsible for the first year's warranty and they do not have any more expertise whan to plug in the router and confirm that it is dead.

dead router they cannot even power up. They would never know what firmware and I don't think they care.
--bill

Hardware failures are always covered regardless of software on it unless that firmware was made to overclock the device.

Nothing in merlins firmwares does this so you good to go.

I seriously doubt asus would check or care what firmware version you have installed. They don't seem like that type of company.

I seriously doubt asus would check or care what firmware version you have installed. They don't seem like that type of company.

Most companies do spot checking now and then but its rarely got to do with finding what firmware is on a device.
Checks are done mainly to check departments and workers extra and so on.

In a router case they get it they plug it in to the equipment and often know very quickly.

Also most countries require a mandatory warranty period on hardware (not software on it).

Just an FYI, the product was repaired and it now shows as being ready to ship back to me. It took them 6 working days to do it. They received it on the 17th.

well. they could check the firmware. but in this case probabley the power board is broken. they might check it afterwards. but i assume they dont care.

well. they could check the firmware. but in this case probabley the power board is broken. they might check it afterwards. but i assume they dont care.

Beside, I bet many people at Asus wouldn't see the difference between my FW and the stock one ;)

Using third party firmware doesn't void the warranty. Though, to be safe, if you can flash back to stock firmware, I would. But if you can't do it, I wouldn't worry about it.

Edit: Ooh, just saw the OP's update.

Just got the router back last night. I have a nice little collection of extra antennas/boxes/power cords now since they would only have me ship off the router itself then return me a whole new (to me) unit. I gotta say, the one I got back yesterday seems to be working just fine. If it keeps this up I may just have to take back all of the harsh words I've had for the RT-AC66U lately.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!