What's new

1-bay Wireless NAS...?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

loyukfai

Regular Contributor
I would like to get one of such as a home backup solution. Performance will be poor due to the wireless nature I know. But my wireless router has no internal LAN port and I would prefer not to change the setup for the time being.

I've found two models from LevelOne (http://global.level1.com/category2.php?id=6&id2=64#0). Both are self-contained with drive bays and wireless adapters.

Do you have any idea about their performances, or similar models out there...?

Or shall I get a new router with USB ports supporting NAS function...? Can the current models spin-down the external drives automatically...?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: It seems that the LevelOne devices are of "mgb100" and "mgb111" origins... Looks like a rebrand of some OEM designs from Taiwan...

Last edited:
I haven't tested any "wireless" NASes and don't plan to, since their performance is limited to 2 -3 MB/s with an 802.11g connection.

Since all your clients connect wirelessly, it doesn't matter what kind of NAS you use. You'll get the same slow speed. I don't think any of the routers with USB sharing automatically spin down the external drives, but I could be wrong.

Thanks for the comments.

Actually, I was evaluating online backup services like Mozy and Jungle Disk, but figured out that while the monthly fees are modest, they could roll into a sum that could make setting up a local NAS an attractive option despite its high upfront cost.

Cheers.

Or shall I get a new router with USB ports supporting NAS function...? Can the current models spin-down the external drives automatically...?

Why not get get a new router with a built in switch (most everyone of them) and plug any 1-bay NAS directly into it?

Chris

Thanks for the suggestion.

But at the moment, I prefer not to tinker with the current setup much. So the asking.

Cheers.