What's new

2 VLANS each use a different ISP

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jonathan153

New Around Here
I'm currently trying to design a network for my friend's small company (media production). I had my CCNA 2 years ago but never did jobs closely related to computer networking.

The company already had a small network with a NAS, network printer and a few desktops which connects to the Internet through a cheap 5 port switch and a TP-Link 841N wireless router with a slower broadband.

My friend is planning to expand the company. He wants to add another faster Fibre Optics internet connection for the staff and add a "guest" VLAN for visitors to use the slower internet.
The other reason is to have redundancy in case the Fibre Optics Internet failed.
I plan to use an Extreme Networks X440 24 port switch, (which i can get at a low price), to create 2 VLANs (staff,guest).

Right now, i have 2 solutions in mind.

1st solution
Staff Vlan
Getting another faster wireless router (Buffalo AirStation Extreme AC 1200?) for the FO broadband.
Configure the Wireless router with an SSID which the staff will use with their ipads, andrioids, laptops...

Guest Vlan
reusing the old TP-Link router for the slower connection and configure SSID for guest use.

Things to buy: Buffalo AirStation Extreme AC 1200, Extreme X440 24 switch

2nd Solution
retire the TP-link router
Buy 2 Wireless Accesspoint (Extreme Altitude 4522 AP with Integrated wireless controller)

Staff Vlan
Configure the Extreme switch, Staff Vlan will only use the FO broadband
Configure AP to have a staff SSID, and will only use the FO broadband

Guest VLan
Configure the Extreme switch, Guest Vlan will only use the slow broadband.
Configure AP to have a guest SSID, and will only use the slow broadband

Things to buy: 2x Extreme Altitude 4522 AP, Extreme X440 24 switch

Problem. Since it's been sometime I had my CCNA, if I go with 2nd solution, how would I configure this layer 3 switch?
I Don't have much experience with layer 3 switch and they aren't exactly a Cisco Router.
Each Vlan is like a router interface? Vlans to create: Staff, Guest, FO internet, Slow internet
and then I configure the switch to route, But how? How do i put in auto failover(redundancy) if 1 of the internet fails?
I've put in a hand drawn network diagram here. But I missed out the APs. Private vlan=Staff vlan Public vlan=Guest vlan
[img=http://s15.postimg.org/g4ir0dmhj/WP_20131119_004.jpg]
Any better solutions?

Thanks

Jonathan

Last edited:
Solution 1 is the simpler of the 2 to implement. For solution 2, you'll need a dual-wan, VLAN capable router (or at least a unit that has 2 or more configuration interfaces with separate subnets).

If you get a router with 2 configurable interfaces (but no 802.1Q vlan support), then you simply have 2 'LAN' subnets - one for internal staff and one for guest.

Your switch configuration will have 2 ports setup as trunk ports to connect to the access points.
Further, another 2 ports will be configured as access ports (aka Untagged ports) to connect to the router.

For example,
Router Staff LAN <-> Switch Port 1
Router Guest LAN <-> Switch Port 2
Access Point 1 <-> Switch Port 3
Access Point 2 <-> Switch Port 4

Then you'll configure the switch as such:
Switch Port 1 Default VLAN ID (Staff VLAN ID), Untagged on egress
Switch Port 2 Default VLAN ID (Guest VLAN ID), Untagged on egress
Switch Port 3 Member of Guest & Staff VLAN IDs, Tagged port
Switch Port 4 Member of Guest & Staff VLAN IDs, Tagged port
All other ports used for internal Staff network marked as with Port 1

Let the router handle the load balancing for the 2 WANs if there isn't an option to actually specify the preferred NAT'ed WAN gateway per subnet. Use QoS or bandwidth limiting options to limit the bandwidth allowed to the guest network instead (if your switch is full L3, there should be an option to perform this at the switch level if your router doesn't support it).

You can also do a hybrid solution (mix of the 2) with the same configuration but connecting your FO router LAN to port 1 and the TP-link LAN to Port 2. However, this does not provide redundancy but will work if you're on a tight budget or can't find a router that will fulfil the aforementioned requirements.

Solution 1 is the simpler of the 2 to implement. For solution 2, you'll need a dual-wan, VLAN capable router (or at least a unit that has 2 or more configuration interfaces with separate subnets).

You can also do a hybrid solution (mix of the 2) with the same configuration but connecting your FO router LAN to port 1 and the TP-link LAN to Port 2. However, this does not provide redundancy but will work if you're on a tight budget or can't find a router that will fulfil the aforementioned requirements.

Those are some really good advice on the trunk ports for connecting the Extreme APs.
The dual wan port routers, I never thought of that. The hybrid solution seemed like a good idea as well. Thanks