What's new

2nd 5Ghz and AiMesh

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Laxarus

Regular Contributor
Hello,
I have Aimesh setup with 3 lyra units and 1 main AC-5300 using wired backhaul.
After updating Merlin 384.15, I've noticed the second 5ghz wi-fi band cannot be clicked on the main router page.
Clicking 5Ghz-2 under system status gives below notice:
"5 GHz-2 is now used as dedicated WiFi backhaul under AiMesh mode.

If you want to change wireless settings, please go to here."

However, I am using wired backhaul so this band is accessible by all the devices.
Previous merlin built didn't have this.
It is not affecting anything but I just wanted to point out.
Is it some minor oversight or some tiny bug?

Well known stupidity baked in by Asus for almost a year now. Guessing you upgraded from a pretty old version.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It would definitely have been the same in that version.
I resisted upgrading for a while as I wanted my tri-band I’d paid for, but in the end caved.
Asus claimed they were looking into it, but no word for a few months now.

I don't know when this happened. What I observed was that both Merlin pre-384-16 and OE Asus firmware, the second 5Ghz was forced to be dedicated backhaul even though I was using Ethernet backhaul. Now that I am on 384-16, I noticed my client started to connect to the second 5Ghz AP. Then, I found in the Asus mobile app, under settings, network, that I can untick "use second 5Ghz as backhaul". Note that my devices were connecting to the second 5Ghz before I unticked this. Go figure.

I don't know when this happened. What I observed was that both Merlin pre-384-16 and OE Asus firmware, the second 5Ghz was forced to be dedicated backhaul even though I was using Ethernet backhaul. Now that I am on 384-16, I noticed my client started to connect to the second 5Ghz AP. Then, I found in the Asus mobile app, under settings, network, that I can untick "use second 5Ghz as backhaul". Note that my devices were connecting to the second 5Ghz before I unticked this. Go figure.

This option must be very new!?

Where in the app is it?

I have an 86U as my primary router so I bet the option doesn’t exist even though I have 3x 5300 nodes!

For clarity there is no “network” option in the settings...

This option must be very new!?

Where in the app is it?

I have an 86U as my primary router so I bet the option doesn’t exist even though I have 3x 5300 nodes!

Settings > Wi-Fi > Wireless Settings > Network Settings
Scroll down to 5Ghz-2 Wi-Fi network

I looked again, and it's ticked on even though I ticked it off earlier, so I don't know if it sticks. I do know that I can connect to the second 5Ghz regardless.

Edit: "Apply" is grayed out when I untick, but when I also tick "hide SSID", then I can apply.

Yea ok, as suspected, the dumbasses have not shown that option on Dual Band routers despite the possibility of there being Tri Band nodes!

So to do this I need an (anonymised) nvram dump from someone with a tri band router with the setting on and off so we can diff them and then I can set the nvram parameter manually myself. Yay!

Edit: "Apply" is grayed out when I untick, but when I also tick "hide SSID", then I can apply.

That’s kinda funky! So you can disable backhaul but must hide your SSID to do so?
Sounds like they got the logic backwards on that one.

Backhaul requires hidden SSID, so can understand the link but suspect they meant to have greying our logic the other way around so as to force a hidden SSID when backhaul is enabled.

That’s kinda funky! So you can disable backhaul but must hide your SSID to do so?
Sounds like they got the logic backwards on that one.

Backhaul requires hidden SSID, so can understand the link but suspect they meant to have greying our logic the other way around so as to force a hidden SSID when backhaul is enabled.

I was suggesting that by ticking hide, the setting can be applied. It can then be unhid later. When my 5300 was forcing the 2nd 5Ghz as the backhaul, the SSID was not hidden.

I was suggesting that by ticking hide, the setting can be applied. It can then be unhid later. When my 5300 was forcing the 2nd 5Ghz as the backhaul, the SSID was not hidden.

Ah ok, that’s the right way round then.