What's new

3 Stream 450Mbs 5Ghz bridge - when?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

trek_520

Regular Contributor
Well, now that I have my Linksys E4200 setup and running well, I am wondering when I can take advantage of three stream 450Mbs capability for my HTPC. I am really hoping this will provide me with glitch free wireless 1080p streaming.

I did not see any released at CES this year which is surprising. Will we see these at some point, or is the demand so low that manufacturers will ignore it?

I asked at my CES meetings about this. Manufacturers don't seem in any hurry to produce dual-band three-stream bridges, or three-stream bridges in general.

What about a mini pcie to pcie adapter

Has anyone tried to find an adapter for mini pcie to pci or pcie so that you could get one of the notebook three stream cards and use it in a desktop or htpc? Does an adapter exist?

we use notebooks with PCI Express to miniPCIe adapters to test 3T3R.

http://www.allion.com/TestTool/ExpressCard to mini PCIe Fixture Datasheet-ENG.pdf

We see about 270~295Mbps over air in a shielded chamber.

Intel's 6300 and Broadcom's BCM4331 are 3T3R, however they do not support Beamforming that is on the Atheros solution (see whitepaper).

http://63.111.106.61/pt/whitepapers/11nNetworksSustainingSignals_whitepaper.pdf

We'll see whether Beamforming works as stated when routers/bridges based on the AR9380 start appearing.

we use notebooks with PCI Express to miniPCIe adapters to test 3T3R.
Thanks for the link. Now I just need to buy a notebook with a PCIExpress slot!

At any rate, my discussions at CES indicated that three-stream adapters have trouble staying in three-stream in 2.4 GHz. So once you get out of the same room, you'll probably be back to two stream.

My initial tests also showed worse throughput variation than I typically see from two-stream N.

Three-stream N is orders of magnitude harder than two-stream, which isn't exactly easy either. This is going to take awhile to mature.