What's new

380.59 (Router goes to recovery mode while bridged accessing it from same LAN Segment)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

R1-Limited

Regular Contributor
Ok let me explain

I was having serious issues with 380.58 reported in the available thread. Now that I have had some time to figure it out I do believe I have isolated this or it is something funky with my connection (I doubt that nothing has changed)

The initial issue I though was occurring. The 66u was bricking or so I thought, I had to reset, default rebuild countless times since updating to the latest.

The actual issue
If I attempt to connect direct to my 66u from the PC (See Setup Below) the 66u bricks and goes to recovery mode. "This Never Happened Prior to 380.58) nothing has changed but the firmware.

The 66u as example is 192.168.1.2, the 68u is 192.168.1.1

I can reach both routers from any other point on the network "ACCEPT" if I am on the segment being hosted by the 66u. Laptop WiFi connects to 68u I reach both routers no issues. Connect that same laptop on the Netgear feeding to the 66 along with the PC. I turn off WiFi and try to go to 1.2 and boom bricks into recovery mode.

Odd part is all items on the 66 after the recovery screen appears still has Inet access and surfable.

(Setup)
The two routers are but 1 floor away on top of each other. The 66 is media bridged to the 68u, the netgear uses the WAN port and I have a printer, two PCs and an occasional VoIP phone setup on the netgear.

PC Hardware
  • Windows 7 Ultimate
  • AMD 64 6 core
LAN Segment on media bridged RT-ac66u to RT-ac68u
  • Netgear GS108e latest firmware
  • RT-ac66u (Media Bridged to RT-ac68u) 380.59

I do not have time to repeat and get logs and all that rot today, finally got the creeping crud that has been plaguing the PNW

Last edited:
The 380.59 codebase was still a pre-alpha release, and will change a lot before it reaches beta status. It's still relying on some hacking to get the pre-380 models to work with the 380 codebase.

The GPL 2697 will be merged in, however things are being delayed as the recent 2695/2697 GPL drops are missing a lot of essential closed source components. I'll reach out to Asus this week to try to obtain those updated blobs.

My typo I am using 380.58 from your site not .59, I assume same applies. I cannot edit the title to reflect .58

So if this still applies then 380.58 is not actually "GA" for all models?

A few things don't make sense to me here. For instance, the router cannot be in recovery mode AND still have networking capabilities, unless it only has Ethernet clients on it (in which case, it's just the switch switching the traffic). What makes you think it's in recovery mode specifically? Recovery mode would imply a flashing power LED.

One thing I remember from a long time ago was a few users having this particular issue where their RT-AC66U would end up in recovery mode after a reboot, for some reason. I don't remember the final resolution, might have been defective routers, or the need for clearing nvram and reconfiguring it - it's been a few years since I've seen this mentioned. So it's possible the real issue is just the router crashing and rebooting, and this bug is causing it to reboot in recovery mode instead of rebooting normally. Two separate issues.

The media bridge support is part closed-source, part complex and undocumented Broadcom code, so I can't work on it. Media bridge mode seem to have always been an hit-or-miss affair, even with the stock firmware.

380.58 for the N66/AC66 is a hack job, to get those models still using GPL 378_xxxx closed source bits within the GPL 380_xxxx code. It's possible that this creates some compatibility issues. In that case, we'll have to wait for Asus to release complete GPL code based on the 380 codebase as well for these models. They only just released the first GPL code based on the 380 codebase for these models, unfortunately all the closed source components are missing from their tarballs.

When the attempt is made to access the 66u the router crashes and boots up to a small recovery screen. It has only a browse and upload option for which it never can recover. Eventually the modem recovers somewhat but has to be rebooted or factory defaulted.

No big deal, I will wait it out and I know accessing the dang thing is not from the PC that is on the lan.

When the attempt is made to access the 66u the router crashes and boots up to a small recovery screen. It has only a browse and upload option for which it never can recover. Eventually the modem recovers somewhat but has to be rebooted or factory defaulted.

No big deal, I will wait it out and I know accessing the dang thing is not from the PC that is on the lan.

Can you try Asus's recent 380_2695 beta to see if it works better for you?

I'm experiencing the same thing. On both .58 and .59 revision. Router crashes when trying to connect with PC on LAN. Every single time. Going in by WiFi it never crashes. Is there some sort of loop? I'm on AC66U in bridge mode also.

Last edited: