What's new

Should I Change From Router Mode to Something Else?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mykdrocks

Occasional Visitor
In doing some research, I've read confilcitng reports as to what is the best mode to run my VPN router in (using Merlin on a seconardry VPN router). By default, it sets itself to Wireless Router Mode. I've heard some say Gateway mode is preferred, but don't see that as an option. The other three are Repeater Mode, Access Point and Media Bridge.

My setup is device > VPN router (with Merlin and VPN service) > home wi-fi router (with cable modem from ISP).

I also should note I'm ONLY connecting via ethernet cables, and have disabled any wi-fi functionality (as that's not needed, and don't want the radio button broadcasting any wi-fi from my VPN router). What's the best, most secure method to ensure my VPN router (with kill switch) does its job most reliably? Is the default router mode the best option for that?

Router mode is the only mode in which the VPN client will run. The option is not present in the other modes. There is no such thing as "Gateway mode" on Asus routers.

By default, it sets itself to Wireless Router Mode. I've heard some say Gateway mode is preferred, but don't see that as an option. The other three are Repeater Mode, Access Point and Media Bridge.
What Asus router do you have? What firmware version is it running? Never heard of "Gateway Mode" as an Administration - Operation Mode. Like already indicated VPN client is, as far as I understand it, only available in router.

Operation Mode.jpg

So you've disabled WiFi on both the ISP-supplied hardware and the Asus router (btw, which model are we talking about here)?

Are you able to put your ISP-supplied hardware in Bridge (bypass) mode?

Is your VPN working correctly now? The Asus router has a public IP?

you have to put the isp modem router in bridge mode plug an ethernet cable fromwan port on Asus router to lan port on isp router then set up Asus router to handle wifi and set up the VPN SECTION on ROUTER