What's new

[384.18_Alpha Builds] Testing all variants

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

No go on the RT-AC88U either. Most recent GPL I have is not compatible with other models - at least two binary blobs are missing new function calls.

""No need to buy a new router. Just let the router boot, and once it's booted and you can reach the login page, press the reset button for about 5 seconds, then release it.""
tried that same thing stays on the login page and cannot log in , nothing works
thanks

Well, @jerry6 at times, even against popular beliefs, things will fail. No need for hammers or hard feelings - after all, a friend or neighbor will find some useful application for it. So, long life to you and your new router :)

There are enough people around from what I can tell who have the coding chops, so why not fight workgroups with workgroups?

If only it was as simple as that.

IIUC what @RMerlin said is the largest effort is involved in merging new GPL releases (as well as getting hold of GPL releases).

That's a very different skill set to writing scripts or even programs although that experience is needed too and not a lot of people have those skills. And those that do generally know the implications of taking on support or development responsibilities so they think very carefully before going ahead with it.

For example, as a project matures it usually becomes more complex.

As @RMerlin says ASUSWRT Merlin is no exception, the complexity has become very high so anyone starting out is up for a difficult journey even if they do have plenty of project merging experience because this type of merging is directly related to historic project knowledge.

Ian

Thanks for your input, Ian.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How can ASUS just decide not to release or severely delay GPL code for certain models. Doesn’t it violate the license to release a firmware, but then not release the associated GPL code?

How can ASUS just decide not to release or severely delay GPL code for certain models. Doesn’t it violate the license to release a firmware, but then not release the associated GPL code?
I don't care what Asus thinks and decides from now on. Explaining.
Merlin's firmware flow is severely disrupted because of Asus inconsistency in firmware GPL releasing and models source code mismatching.
Merlin's firmware over the years (and we are all at least grateful for this) was a serious reason to obtain and plan an network around an Asus-Merlin router.
This, as of now, has became problematic.
I already re-planing my home network around an Edgrouter (EdgeOS) exempted from Asus's wills and inner thoughts.
Sorry for the off topic. Just writing down my thoughts...

Preparing and releasing these GPL require time. Asus currently maintains about 40+ different models. What they told me is their build system couldn't keep up with the high number of firmware releases they've made lately, so they have fallen behind.

Preparing and releasing these GPL require time. Asus currently maintains about 40+ different models. What they told me is their build system couldn't keep up with the high number of firmware releases they've made lately, so they have fallen behind.

While I can understand that, based on their web site, the RT-AC88U model hasn’t had a source code release since October 2019 and there have been 2 firmware releases this year: one in March and one in April. It’s now June, so they are over 2 months behind on the AC88U.

For comparison the similar RT-AC3100 had one release this year (April) and the source code was uploaded 2 weeks later.

It's not just releasing the GPL code that Asus have fallen behind on; the RT-AX56U does not even have a user guide available more than 6 months after launch, just a quick start guide.

As for Default, it's not assigned to a specific category, it's assigned to priority 4. So, whatever is the category you assign as the fourth priority will also inherit default traffic, so it gets more or less an average priority (out of 8 possible priorities).
I took the alpha plunge and the one thing I notice is that default traffic is going to class 1:13 (the fourth) which for me is "Work-from-Home". But the pie chart is showing "Learn-from-Home (Default)" which is the fifth class (1:14). I'm thinking this is just an off-by-one bug for the label itself (maybe qos_default should be 3, counting up from 0). The pie chart shows the Untracked packets in Work-From-Home just fine. Fortunately, Xfinity's speedtest is Untracked so I can test it easily. https://speedtest.xfinity.com/

Last edited:
Maybe your router has a little red ‘reset’ button?
really ? i 'd like to know where it is hidden i can't find it ac5300

really ? i 'd like to know where it is hidden i can't find it ac5300
Are you serious? 1 second search in Google! :D
reset-79293.jpg

reset button was broken , forgot that it's been years since i last used it opened the router and reset it , now it is working i got the mini web server reset and it works , sory for the trouble , the doctors are surprisedi stillknow my name so many brain injuries through the years , i forget things often , like the broken reset button .
thanks guys all is working again . still might buy that ax92u

reset button was broken , forgot that it's been years since i last used it opened the router and reset it , now it is working i got the mini web server reset and it works , sory for the trouble , the doctors are surprisedi stillknow my name so many brain injuries through the years , i forget things often , like the broken reset button .
thanks guys all is working again . still might buy that ax92u
No problems, then take it easy men and safeguard your brain!

Installed Friday's alpha code without issue on RT-AX88U + 2x RT-AC86U's in AiMesh backhaul mode. Got cheeky and left in the 8GB USB on the RT-AX88U, all went well. A message on this firmware revision (I install all released changes) to manually reboot the RT-AX88U.
What I have learnt with the RT-AX88U (has the USB with Diversion, Skynet, Unbound etc..) if you power off (the RT-AC86U no issues here), leave it powered off for say 10 mins minimum. Otherwise if your too quick on the off/on the WiFi may not come up correctly, to extent the 5GHz LED is out on the router case.

I took the alpha plunge and the one thing I notice is that default traffic is going to class 1:13 (the fourth) which for me is "Work-from-Home". But the pie chart is showing "Learn-from-Home (Default)" which is the fifth class (1:14). I'm thinking this is just an off-by-one bug for the label itself (maybe qos_default should be 3, counting up from 0). The pie chart shows the Untracked packets in Work-From-Home just fine. Fortunately, Xfinity's speedtest is Untracked so I can test it easily. https://speedtest.xfinity.com/
I think what's happening is that unmarked traffic is getting picked up by the rule for category 0 in Work-From-Home.
Code:
# tc filter show dev br0 | grep 1:12 -A1
filter parent 1: protocol all pref 3 u32 fh 806::800 order 2048 key ht 806 bkt 0 flowid 1:12
  mark 0x80000000 0xc03f0000 (success 973331)
In 384.17, the "default" rule had a different mask and pointed to 1:17:
Code:
filter parent 1: protocol all pref 2 u32 fh 827::800 order 2048 key ht 827 bkt 0 flowid 1:17
  mark 0x80000000 0xc000ffff (success 8143)
That filter is now gone and everything is wonky (and/or I am confused). But I can't see any evidence that the fourth category is really the new Default. So I'm not sure how the Merlin QoS Classification page is able to mark a Default category in the pie chart.

ASUS IS STill the best keeping old models updated , i've had other brands that stop getting updated after 6 months .

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!