What's new

[384.18_Alpha Builds] Testing all variants

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Maybe, they're distributing the EU version to us now.

My previous Asus routers, had channels 149-161.

I'm not sure if Netgear's newer routers have the same restrictions.

Luckily, It has DFS channels, so that's fine for now.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

you may be write take it up with Asus I was on ADSL+2 I had an asus dsl ac3100 it had channels 12& 13 for asus / NZ

I would like to know if anyone has ever been successful with Smart connect though. If it worked it would be perfect in my case. The upper part of my house is barely strong enough for 5GHz, so I need 2GHz when sleeping, but would be nice to be on 5GHz the rest of the time when not in the upper level. I tried this about a year ago and has nothing but problems with it trying to be "smart".
I've been wrestling with Smart Connect recently on both the latest stock firmware and also this alpha. It doesn't seem to play nicely with the WiFi channels changing even though the GUI let's you fix them, and with my RT-AX88U radios stopping transmitting. I've turned it off for now and will try again once there is a newer firmware release from Asus that finds its way to a later Merlin release as it would be very useful for me too if it worked properly.

Yes, I read this as well, but I noticed a huge difference in signal strength on my RT-AX88U between 36 and 149. 149 is much stronger.
Known thing, and that is how it is supposed to work.
Higher channels (so higher frequency) need more strength because they penetrate less, so do not measure near source but try trough a couple of walls and you'll see what I mean...

is this implemented in recent models from Asus?
thanks

Good question. Your best option for understanding this, at least for US-based routers, is to review the router manufacturer testing data that they are required to provide to the FCC. Detailed data are provided.

Yes, I read this as well, but I noticed a huge difference in signal strength on my RT-AX88U between 36 and 149. 149 is much stronger.

This is my experience as well for the AC86U. The UNII-3 range definitely gives better signal strength at the station (phone, laptop, etc.). Even within the UNII-1 or UNII-3 ranges, there are differences in signal strength vs channel in my experience.

Higher channels (so higher frequency) need more strength because they penetrate less, so do not measure near source but try trough a couple of walls and you'll see what I mean...
Hmmm...are you sure? If you were talking about the difference in wall crossing ability (penetration) between 2.4Ghz and 5.0Ghz, I would agree; however, I doubt that the relatively small frequency range covered by all of the 5.0Ghz wifi spectrum is enough to account for power level adjustments within that range. Which would also explain why the FCC power levels were adjusted/leveled in 2015 to more uniform standards.
Not positive, just checking. ;)

I doubt that the relatively small frequency range covered by all of the 5.0Ghz wifi spectrum is enough to account for power level adjustments

Yep 100% agree there is not enough difference in spread to be seen in the real world. Although higher RF power output would be noticed.

I would like to know if anyone has ever been successful with Smart connect though. If it worked it would be perfect in my case. The upper part of my house is barely strong enough for 5GHz, so I need 2GHz when sleeping, but would be nice to be on 5GHz the rest of the time when not in the upper level. I tried this about a year ago and has nothing but problems with it trying to be "smart".

Since I bought my 3100 I've only used Smart Connect cause I'm lazy, and it works fine in my house. Mix of Android and Apple devices. Consoles, Shield, PC and NAS are all hard wired. The only devices I regularly see on the 2.4 are my two Wyze cameras because they are 2.4 only. Honestly if I didn't have them, I'd probably just turn that band off.

So, I don't know what's up with these Asus routers having 149-161 locked.
yep
36-173.jpg

Hmmm...are you sure? If you were talking about the difference in wall crossing ability (penetration) between 2.4Ghz and 5.0Ghz, I would agree; however, I doubt that the relatively small frequency range covered by all of the 5.0Ghz wifi spectrum is enough to account for power level adjustments within that range. Which would also explain why the FCC power levels were adjusted/leveled in 2015 to more uniform standards.
Not positive, just checking. ;)
As far as I know that is how it was designed; and there is quite a bigger range for 5GHz than in 2.4GHz...
So the higher channels should have a higher power output (up to 4dB).

So the higher channels should have a higher power output (up to 4dB).

Simply not the case any longer at least in the US. All one has to do is google the new rules both high and low band 5 GHz are allowed the same output. 1w

Simply not the case any longer at least in the US. All one has to do is google the new rules both high and low band 5 GHz are allowed the same output. 1w
I am in Europe... :)
Good for you; I don't think it is yet the case here, same with available channels.

The router's channels are governed by the radio laws of the country where that router is being sold. Merlin wouldn't change this even if he could, as why would he want to risk breaking the law and the consequences that go along with it.

Or, you bought a router manufactured for a different region, hence the difference in available channels.

IIRC about the time asus locked the ability to change regions down, my australian purchased router became locked to US channels only.
I can't recall all the commands to test this now but a wl country returns US (US/0) UNITED STATES

In Canada it seems that since 2017 the lower 5ghz was allowed the same power as 149+
https://www.semfionetworks.com/blog...7, ISED published,outdoor with a higher power.

I have many times tested between 36 and 149, and in all cases (with my RT-AX88U), the penetration of wifi through walls and at max distance I would want it to work, 149 shows considerable more signal strength than 36 did.

I was wondering at the time if perhaps Asus firmware still had the older Canada rules, which restricted lower channels power.

That being said, what is the max power for these routers? 250? or 1000?

"wl country" returns
E0 (E0/741) <unknown>
for me on my rt-ax56u (UK sourced and located)

"wl country list" has
GB UNITED KINGDOM

as a valid country so the E0 (E0/741) return seems a bit strange

Channel's available depend on the Channel bandwidth you choose 20,40,80MHz...

I don't know if this law applies to Asus router only, as I have a D-link DIR-882 that has access to channels 149-165.

Moreover my older 2016 Netgear R7800 lets me choose any wireless region I want to.

So, I don't know what's up with these Asus routers having 149-161 locked.

So either Asus is screwing it's customers deliberately or it might be under the pressure of the governed body.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

Careful. I believe the issue is that many legacy devices won't work on the higher devices. I seem to recall having issues with this when I first got the AX88U, and could not get a variety of IoT devices to work until I lowered the channel

For "wl country" on my AX58U
E0 (E0/742) <unknown>
but on the AX88U
DE (DE/963) GERMANY

Both sourced and used in the UK.

The AX88 offers 36-64 & 100-140 and the as the AX58U is running as an AiMesh node, it seems happy to tag along
- is there a way to check what channels are available on the AX58U via the command line, rather than disconnect the node, reset and login directly?
- as the AX58U is silent on country, is there a way to check its DFS/EIRP restrictions or should I just assume standard ETSI, with the same power criteria as GB/DE?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!