What's new

Release [ 384.19_Alpha Build(s) ] Testing available build(s)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Are you satisfied with title?

• Yes

Votes: 75 93.8%
  • No

Votes: 5 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Experienced spike on "Traffic Monitor" chart running 384.18. The problem gone on "RT-AX88U_384.19_alpha1-g9ca4b67bb0". But it's back again on 2nd alpha (g2546f95291).
Don't use this QoS stuff.

Attachments

• 2020-07-01_14.20.17.958_chrome_ASUS_Wireless_Router_RT-AX88U_-_Traffic_Monitor__.png
    2020-07-01_14.20.17.958_chrome_ASUS_Wireless_Router_RT-AX88U_-_Traffic_Monitor__.png
    256.4 KB · Views: 195
Is a build for ax58u model with these fixes planned?

Those builds are development builds. Nothing is "planned", I just make them when I happen to need to.

Thanks to @RMerlin for developing the build. The RT-AX58U is a really amazing router and runs great on this firmware + lots of options and choices. I am really curious though why folks are using AIProtection as this is provided by Trend Micro and seems to be very intrusive and a real privacy neuralyzer. There are many comments about AIProtection and I am wondering if the opensource options aren't a safer option.

Thanks to @RMerlin for developing the build. The RT-AX58U is a really amazing router and runs great on this firmware + lots of options and choices. I am really curious though why folks are using AIProtection as this is provided by Trend Micro and seems to be very intrusive and a real privacy neuralyzer. There are many comments about AIProtection and I am wondering if the opensource options aren't a safer option.
It's similar with many (most?) internet services. Google don't provide you searching, email or any of their other services truly for free - it's a trade where they get your data. Everyone should way up the benefits against the costs.

In my case I gain by getting good traffic classification and security protection - my conclusion for me is that it's worth the trade as I have nothing too sensitive in my life and I generally trust Trend Micro as reputable. But that has to be an individual decision.

If people want to get into a lengthy discussion over the pros and cons of Trend Micro I think it's worth starting a new thread rather than taking this one off at a tangent.

The second beta worked for me even qos is working now, but had to withdraw first for it to work. Thanks Merlin.

If people want to get into a lengthy discussion over the pros and cons of Trend Micro I think it's worth starting a new thread rather than taking this one off at a tangent.
Or simply search the forum for the numerous discussions that already cover this Trend Micro topic at great length :eek:;).
Frankly, IMO, this has been discussed to death, so please refrain from continuing it here.

AiProtrction is now blocking sites but is not logging them in the webui. I’ve tried the following and got the block page.

wrs49.winshipway.com
spys.one

edit: should have added I’m on an ax88u with the second alpha build.

Nice catch!
Yup, Trendmicro blocks those for me, but nothing logged.
(My logs are still in pristine condition, after some hours. Back in the day, the logs were always full of ‘stuff’.)

Last edited:
Nice catch!
Yup, Trendmicro blocks those for me, but nothing logged.
(My logs are still in pristine, condition, after some hours. Back in the day, the logs were always full of ‘stuff’.)

Can confirm with RT-AX58U with latest official firmware 3.0.0.4.384.9354 too. Links were blocked by Trend Micro, but router panels show 0 (zero) incidents. It's broken. I don't know how they can screw up so many things with these AX routers when everything worked fine on AC models...

Tried dirty upgrade from 384.18 om my AX88 - no AImesh, no QoS, no additional tools or modules. Had to go back to 384.18 as my cores were intermittently jumping up and down, 5Ghz was completely gone. Power cycle in various ways did not resolve the issues and as I had to go into a concall I went back. May try another attempt at a later point in time ...

Gave it a try on RT-AX58U. So far it seems to work fine on my wired desktop PC. I'll have to check my wireless laptops and IPTV. And yeah, Ai Protection is still dead as far as stats go. The links are still blocked, but shows nothing in AiProtection statistics.

AiProtrction is now blocking sites but is not logging them in the webui. I’ve tried the following and got the block page.

wrs49.winshipway.com
spys.one

edit: should have added I’m on an ax88u with the second alpha build.

I tried the two sites and got the block pages. Checked the ax88 gui and there was still zero events shown. Checked back an hour or two later and the gui showed two blocks. It takes time. Does not matter to me as long as block page comes up.:)

Running alpha 2 on my ax88u.

The second beta worked for me even qos is working now
I have solved my QOS problems.
1. Turn QOS off
2. Buy twice as much network capacity as needed for my two person household. If it handles two UHD 4k TV shows at the same time. everyone is happy. :rolleyes:

On a serious note my RT-AX88U running Merlin Alpha 2 is spectacular.
Now for a serious question. After the router first boots up, the memory usage is 90+ %. After several hours it will stabilize at around 65%. I know that Linux memory management is quite different than Windows. It does allocate large amounts of the 1meg main memory to cache and buffers. Is this the norm?. I know that my AC3100 seldom got to 50% utilization when idle.

In my RT-AX88U I have only skynet installed with aiprotect ative and until now the memory showed about 50% now has 93%, is normal?

Running latest alpha on my new RT-AX88U - RT-AX88U_384.19_alpha1-g2546f95291_cferom_ubi.w
so far no issues..

I installed unbound with add blocker and Skynet.. Ram at and sitting at 94% running for 24 hours now.. Seems high..

Just want to add here, unused memory is wasted. The kernel should use all available memory for something. If a ton of memory is available, then it should be used for caches etc, when a process needs it then it should be given to it.

I am curious anyone running the latest alpha build from yesterday on the AX88U. Who's also using AdaptiveQoS with FlexQoS. If any of you are willing, can you try running a speedtest on a wireless device connected to the AX88U. As previously I have noticed it doesn't properly limit upstream data on wifi devices. Wanna see if any changes have happened with the newer build.

Gave it a try on RT-AX58U. So far it seems to work fine on my wired desktop PC. I'll have to check my wireless laptops and IPTV. And yeah, Ai Protection is still dead as far as stats go. The links are still blocked, but shows nothing in AiProtection statistics.

A2 working here as well on AX58U. The stats are working as well but takes a little while to show up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!