What's new

Release [ 384.19_Alpha Build(s) ] Testing available build(s)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Are you satisfied with title?

• Yes

Votes: 75 93.8%
  • No

Votes: 5 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Once again, to all of those who obsess over "high" RAM usage on their router: please don't, just ignore that number entirely.
Don't believe me? Read more here:
https://www.linuxatemyram.com/

Just updated ax58u to newest alpha and AiProtection is definitely doing something now, awesome. I've never seen the malicious site block warning, didn't even know what it looked like until now, and I tried over and over to trigger it. Found a decent trendmicro article for testing protection and parental controls.

Now to see what QOS looks like :)

I tried the two sites and got the block pages. Checked the ax88 gui and there was still zero events shown. Checked back an hour or two later and the gui showed two blocks. It takes time. Does not matter to me as long as block page comes up.:)

Running alpha 2 on my ax88u.

Ditto, except log pages still empty.:(

Everything seems to work fine on RT-AX58U, wired devices, wireless devices, IPTV is fine, but the AiProtection block log is still at zero even though I had 2 blocking events testing the URL's above.

I even installed NextDNS on it again and that works too. It was whining about JJFS being read-only even though I've enabled it, but I think I only had to do router reboot for it to be registered correctly after enabling it.

Running latest alpha on my new RT-AX88U - RT-AX88U_384.19_alpha1-g2546f95291_cferom_ubi.w
so far no issues..

I installed unbound with add blocker and Skynet.. Ram at and sitting at 94% running for 24 hours now.. Seems high..
You mean similar to this?
SWAP File Creation RAMUsage (2).png

I just think it's the cache. Rebooting the router fixes this.

Today I had a little bit of extra time so I tried the new firmware.. First I made a backup of the settings for 384.18 in case of problems....

I started with a 'dirty' firmware upgrade from Merlin release 384.18 to the latest 384.19 alpha and after upgrading it, everything seemed to work fine.. However, CPU usage appeared to be erratic.. The bars of all 4 cores (RT-AX88U) went from 0 up to 70-90%, all the time, which I didn't like..

So I did a factory reset, configured everything again (arghh, a lot work) and now it seems to work fine. Now the CPU usage shows normal behavior.

The 'out-of-the-box' QoS still has strange behavior.. Usenet traffic is prioritized using the wrong group. I installed the FreshQoS script and that gives some control... At least it appears to be working correctly now with this script. Usenet traffic is prioritized in 'File Transferring' now.

Now everything works more or less like it did before. I am happy with it so I leave it installed on the router :)

Thank you for this firmware update! if something strange happens, I'll let you all know!

Does the standard QoS in the Merlin firmware now works as it should without the need of extra plug-ins?? Does QoS for uploading work correctly now?

Edit: Or does the fix is just a GUI fix??

I have 384.18 installed with FlexQoS and I am considering to update the firmware to the latest alpha version. But I am not sure whether that is a good idea...

You mean similar to this?
View attachment 24566

I just think it's the cache. Rebooting the router fixes this.

I was planning to reboot today after work if ram stays high.. I was hoping it would lower after some time..

I'll update later today with the outcome.

I have a pressing matter... looks like my WAN speed is continuing to drop since I first updated the router to A2... (2nd dip in the chart on the very right). Not sure why it's doing that. Talked to Spectrum and no outage in my area.
upload_2020-7-7_10-56-51.png

I have a pressing matter... looks like my WAN speed is continuing to drop since I first updated the router to A2... (2nd dip in the chart on the very right). Not sure why it's doing that. Talked to Spectrum and no outage in my area.
View attachment 24570
Compare the drop with the logs on the cable modem. Does the modem reboot or drop out during that time?

Compare the drop with the logs on the cable modem. Does the modem reboot or drop out during that time?
cable modem shows no error during the time of the drop. MAtter a fact, after a reboot of the aX88U it went back up to my normal 400-450mbps range...

I am going to keep an eye on this if it keeps dropping after awhile

[QUOTE="... after upgrading it, everything seemed to work fine.. However, CPU usage appeared to be erratic.. The bars of all 4 cores (RT-AX88U) went from 0 up to 70-90%, all the time, which I didn't like.."[/QUOTE]

This is right why I moved back to 384.18 as I had no time to do a full reconfig after upgrade - the last nuke reset with manual reconfig was after moving to 384.17

[QUOTE="... after upgrading it, everything seemed to work fine.. However, CPU usage appeared to be erratic.. The bars of all 4 cores (RT-AX88U) went from 0 up to 70-90%, all the time, which I didn't like.."

This is right why I moved back to 384.18 as I had no time to do a full reconfig after upgrade - the last nuke reset with manual reconfig was after moving to 384.17
hm in my case no issues with CPUs and i am running unbound, suricata, flexqos, netdata, transmission, ntp server, connmonitor, spdmerlin ....

hm in my case no issues with CPUs and i am running unbound, suricata, flexqos, netdata, transmission, ntp server, connmonitor, spdmerlin ....

Maybe the issue is not running any additional modules or specialties :) ... will try at another time again but no time right now

Running 384.19_alpha1-g2546f95291 on RT-AX88U with no issues.
Happy to see UL/DL OFDMA is available again. :D

I have a silly piece of feedback, but is it possible to adjust the web GUI so that horizontal scroll bars don't appear in the QoS device list/table?
upload_2020-7-7_17-17-29.png

Also to extend the background for the Network Map "Status" tab, like it is for the other options in the Network Map area?
upload_2020-7-7_17-19-52.png

I know it's dumb to ask, but one of the things I love about Merlin firmware is professional quality of life changes even in small things like the GUI. :oops:

Otherwise, the build is running great, haven't had any issues for over 14 hours.
Thanks again for all your hard work!

Updated both RT-AX88U Router and AiMesh device from Merlin 3.0.0.4.384.18 firmware with RT-AX88U_384.19_alpha1-g9ca4b67bb0_cferom_ubi.w

Updated both RT-AX88U devices to firmware RT-AX88U_384.19_alpha1-g2546f95291_cferom_ubi.w
Issue remains

RT-AX88U Router seems fine. Also for 160 MHz bandwidth.

AiMesh device went from 160 MHz to 80 MHz bandwidth.
Reinstalled Merlin 3.0.0.4.384.18 firmware on the RT-AX88U AiMesh device.
AiMesh device now works on 160 MHz bandwidth again.

Last edited:
looks like it's doing it again.... after a few hours the WAN Bandwidth just drops for no reason... at least not from the cable modem side of things
upload_2020-7-8_9-53-47.png

funny thing happened with the AX88 alpha: overnight all the 2.4GHz clients were disconnected. 5GHz clients were fine. after a reboot the 2.4 clients reconnected. not sure if alpha related, but it never happened before

cable modem shows no error during the time of the drop. MAtter a fact, after a reboot of the aX88U it went back up to my normal 400-450mbps range...

I am going to keep an eye on this if it keeps dropping after awhile

I had a similar WAN decay issue (AX88U) back in the 384.16 Alpha era. For me, it was WAN uploads decaying over time. WAN download was fine. I would start at 10Mbit then over the course of a day or two, it would start to reduce down to 1Mbit or less.
I changed cable, Factory reset, etc. A reboot was the only way to get the WAN upload back to normal for a period of time.
Drove me crazy. As a result, I stayed on 384.14. By the time 384.16 was released, the issue went away.
Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Fours days on the Alpha2 on the RT-AX88U, in a word 'marvelous'. Noticed that WPA3 was enabled (again), and works well with my iPhone8. QoS/FlexQoS piecharts & panels now meaningful on this Alpha release. The Auto channel selection on 2.4Ghz & 5GHz seems to be now working with some intelligence of channel selection, relative to the WiFi surroundings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!