What's new

Release [ 384.19_Alpha Build(s) ] Testing available build(s)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Are you satisfied with title?

• Yes

Votes: 75 93.8%
  • No

Votes: 5 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
it's 384.19 alfa2
No such item "Alfa", unless you are referring to the automobile manufacturer Alfa Romeo. There do exist however Alpha ( α ) meaning very early stage firmware builds, which is the correct Greek letter preceding Beta ( β ) builds, for more general public testing, which sometime precede RC (Release Candidate) builds in some environments.

@jsbeddow you idiot? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha
al.jpg

384.19-alpha2 compiled (thanks adamm) and dirty flash over 384.18. Nothing unusual noticed. Will run through the menus later tonight.

Last edited:
My RT-AC86U along with add ons per my signature did not fare well with this Alpha - and yes ... I had to factory reset to revert to 384.18 ... but could restore settings and JFFS folder from 384.18 backup. OpenVPN seemed fine - but several other issues not open for comment in this thread were broken.

Best to await Beta unless you don't use similar add-ons to me [including Skynet which broke badly and could not be uninstalled or reinstalled - which is why I bailed and went back to 384.18].

Similar experience here on my RT-AC86U. Upgraded from a fresh 384.18 to 384.19 Alpha 2 and run into the following issues:
  • SkyNet complained about a syntax error (row 544?!) and couldn't be started at all.
  • NextDNS CLI didn't work at all and showed fatal errors all over the place when trying any command.
  • All my custom client-names in the network map were gone.
Could JFFS be the common issue?!

I managed to uninstall/re-install SkyNet & NextDNS after some manual work, so I'm still on 384.19 but a bumpy ride so far ;-) First time in years I had some upgrade issues...

My RT-AC86U along with add ons per my signature did not fare well with this Alpha - and yes ... I had to factory reset to revert to 384.18 ... but could restore settings and JFFS folder from 384.18 backup. OpenVPN seemed fine - but several other issues not open for comment in this thread were broken.

Best to await Beta unless you don't use similar add-ons to me [including Skynet which broke badly and could not be uninstalled or reinstalled - which is why I bailed and went back to 384.18].
Similar experience here on my RT-AC86U. Upgraded from a fresh 384.18 to 384.19 Alpha 2 and run into the following issues:
  • SkyNet complained about a syntax error (row 544?!) and couldn't be started at all.
  • NextDNS CLI didn't work at all and showed fatal errors all over the place when trying any command.
  • All my custom client-names in the network map were gone.
Could JFFS be the common issue?!

I managed to uninstall/re-install SkyNet & NextDNS after some manual work, so I'm still on 384.19 but a bumpy ride so far ;-) First time in years I had some upgrade issues...

There are very few situations where a firmware update could cause Skynet to stop working, this most likely indicates a USB related issue, although exact output would be required to accurately diagnose the issue.

Probably unrelated to this specific release, but I noticed there are finally entries under the OUTPUT_IP chain;

Code:
Chain OUTPUT_IP (1 references)
target     prot opt source               destination
logdrop_ip  all  --  anywhere             193.201.224.0/24
logdrop_ip  all  --  anywhere             245-120-15-51.instances.scw.cloud
logdrop_ip  all  --  anywhere             li1019-134.members.linode.com
logdrop_ip  all  --  anywhere             190.115.18.28
logdrop_ip  all  --  anywhere             51-159-52-250.rev.poneytelecom.eu
logdrop_ip  all  --  anywhere             190.115.18.86

@RMerlin Any idea of where (or why) these entries and the stuff in OUTPUT_DNS is generated? Searching the repo came up with no results and I couldn't find any references in firewall.c either.

@RMerlin Any idea of where (or why) these entries and the stuff in OUTPUT_DNS is generated? Searching the repo came up with no results and I couldn't find any references in firewall.c either.

These are malicious C&C servers, which Asus automatically blocks when generating the firewall config, out of rc/private.o. I don't remember the name of the function that builds these chains.

There are very few situations where a firmware update could cause Skynet to stop working, this most likely indicates a USB related issue, although exact output would be required to accurately diagnose the issue.

Was not a USB related issue - and was tied in with amtm somehow ... which was also "unhappy" [clash between firmware version?].
Attempt to enter Skynet from amtm [option 2] showed that Skynet had failed to start - attempt to restart under option 8 failed with script error - attempt to uninstall Skynet with option 15 - failed with script error. Was not time issue either - ntp was in sync.

Really sorry - I did not take more careful note of logged errors etc - but my post which you quoted was in a thread inviting comments ONLY on OpenVPN issues. I had no issues with OpenVPN server or Clients x 2.

As stated in that thread - I reverted to 384.18 after factory reset - restored 384.18 backup settings as well as jffs folder backup. Same USB ran all add-ons per my signature without any updates / re-installs or other fixes.

Will gladly try 384.19 again ... but only after it is released by Merlin in an Alpha or Beta version for wider testing and comment on the RT-AC86U.

im having issues with alpha 3 .... says openvpn connected but only shows local ip and not public, i cant used the internet . on 384.18 same settings everything works and shows public ip , i have already cleared jffs and all what is going on and even the log doesnt show errors i have tried 5 different vpns and all same result .... just wont show public ip address for openvpns

UPDATED
works if u set it to policy rules instead of the yes option .... and add the devices u want to use vpn

VPN so slow speeds after 10 to 15 mins of being connected i usually get 150 to 300mpbs and then after 10 to 15 mins it goes to 30 to 50mpbs huge drop in speeds

Last edited:
Alpha 3 seems to have fixed the issue I was experiencing with DNS leaks using a VPN client set to "Exclusive." I no longer have to toggle the VPN to prevent leaks.

My RT-AX58U is using the 384.18 Merlin firmware. I'm thinking of trying the 384.19 Alpha Merlin firmware. Is the alpha firmware stable or is it recommended to stay on 384.18 firmware and wait for 384.19 Beta. I read two sides of this firmware. If I do try out it, and decide to wait for the beta or official release, does it use the same method to flash back to a previous firmware?

@kage the Alpha's have all been stable for me except for a single RT-AC86U that I upgraded.

Nothing changes between stable/alpha/beta. You can flash firmware back and forth as desired (save your current settings and firmware first, for the easiest way to get back to where you are now. If the Alpha doesn't work as well for you).

sorry for the stupid question , but is it the end for AC routers and Merlin ? Seeing how the 384-18 thread has been closed and i cannot find anything definitive about AC routers and Merlin .
Thanks

sorry for the stupid question , but is it the end for AC routers and Merlin ? Seeing how the 384-18 thread has been closed and i cannot find anything definitive about AC routers and Merlin .
Thanks
Not at all the end of the line: closing the 384.18 final thread just means that RMerlin thinks that discussion has run its course and any additional posts would only stray further off topic (to meandering, random topics). Development is actively under way on 384.19: this thread started with a focus on the AX builds, but there is also a separate thread covering more models but with an emphasis on some changes being made to the OpenVPN components. Ultimately, these will likely all merge into a unified Beta thread, just give it a bit more time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!