What's new

[384.8_Alpha - builds] Testing all variants.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

When running Site Survey my 5Ghz goes down. Comes up after a while.
Have other have same issues with it?

I’ve seen that happen many times. A reboot usually fixes it. Also turning all guest networks off is important.

Anyone else notice when you reboot from the webui that the counter stops (in my case always at 6). The wheel keeps spinning, then all of a sudden the log in page appears. This is not slowing anything down. It's just consistent in my case.

Working great here on 384.8 with clean install / AC86U. But a strange notice i cant place: Kernel: [tdts_shell_ioctl_stat:256] Recv ioctl req with op 2 ?? It returns every 30 mins. Maybe its nothing. Anyone can give a hint?

Working great here on 384.8 with clean install / AC86U. But a strange notice i cant place: Kernel: [tdts_shell_ioctl_stat:256] Recv ioctl req with op 2 ?? It returns every 30 mins. Maybe its nothing. Anyone can give a hint?
I’ve been getting the same error every 30 mins, I’ve had it on other releases to. I don’t believe it’s anything to worry about.

Just loaded new "alpha build" and so far woking. :D:p
Uptime 0 days 0 hours 17 minute(s) 48 seconds

-- Site Survey still crashing 5Ghz wifi network (Guest is off)
-- Roaming Block list is there
-- FTP folder permission issues, not working

Merged with GPL + binary blobs from 384_32799
for AC68U/AC88U/AC3100/AC5300.

Last edited:
Just loaded new "alpha build" and so far woking. :D:p
Uptime 0 days 0 hours 17 minute(s) 48 seconds

Merged with GPL + binary blobs from 384_32799
for AC68U/AC88U/AC3100/AC5300.
Awesome, I’ll have my ac68u updated as soon as I get home :)

I’ll be interested in your feedback. :)
Running 1 hour 35 mins without a problem!
I’ve not tried my upside down android box yet but I will do later.
I’m also going to uninstall FreshJR’s QOS script at some point and see whether there is any improvement.
To be fair, the first alpha was very very stable and I only had the one issue that may not even be a router issue so I’m hoping this alpha is just as good :)

Running 1 hour 35 mins without a problem!
I’ve not tried my upside down android box yet but I will do later.
I’m also going to uninstall FreshJR’s QOS script at some point and see whether there is any improvement.
To be fair, the first alpha was very very stable and I only had the one issue that may not even be a router issue so I’m hoping this alpha is just as good :)
That’s great news, my friend. Let me how the android box goes. I settled back on .7 again. My WiFi has been stable as can be, but the testing junkie in me may try new merged GPL. Still debating. :D

That’s great news, my friend. Let me how the android box goes. I settled back on .7 again. My WiFi has been stable as can be, but the testing junkie in me may try new merged GPL. Still debating. :D
I just love trying to get the best out of my hardware and the kids want smooth web so any alpha and beta I’ll have a go at :)
This is definitely a smooth alpha, all my WiFi devices are connected and running smoothly but the kids will let me know if there is anything wrong when they get home from school as they will be firing up the consoles, phones, iPads and tablets.
I’ve still got the 30mins error but I really don’t think it’s anything to worry about :)

I just love trying to get the best out of my hardware and the kids want smooth web so any alpha and beta I’ll have a go at :)
This is definitely a smooth alpha, all my WiFi devices are connected and running smoothly but the kids will let me know if there is anything wrong when they get home from school as they will be firing up the consoles, phones, iPads and tablets.
I’ve still got the 30mins error but I really don’t think it’s anything to worry about :)
Upgrade over 384.7_2. About 4 hours and everything running real well. :)

Upgrade over 384.7_2. About 4 hours and everything running real well. :)
Fab news!
Mine has been going 8 hours and 9 mins and no problems whatsoever and no complaints from the kids either :)
I’ll be cranking up my upside down android box within the next hour to see if it will work the right way up but I’m not getting my hopes because I have a feeling it might on it’s way out. I’m gutted because it’s only 4 months old.

Fab news!
Mine has been going 8 hours and 9 mins and no problems whatsoever and no complaints from the kids either :)
I’ll be cranking up my upside down android box within the next hour to see if it will work the right way up but I’m not getting my hopes because I have a feeling it might on it’s way out. I’m gutted because it’s only 4 months old.

The RT-AC68U is unlikely to be dropped anytime soon, as it remains one of Asus's most popular models.

The RT-AC68U is unlikely to be dropped anytime soon, as it remains one of Asus's most popular models.
Sorry, I didn’t make myself clear oops
It’s my android box that I believe is on its way out and I only purchased it 4 months ago.

Sorry, I didn’t make myself clear oops
It’s my android box that I believe is on its way out and I only purchased it 4 months ago.

These rarely get more than a few months of support unfortunately. That was one of the reasons why I went with the Shield TV. More expensive, but in addition to having pretty good hardware specs (and not having to guess which audio codecs would probably get passthrough support), it's still very actively updated by nVidia.

Latest Alpha running slick on my 5300 (RT-AC5300_384.8_alpha1-g9ac9c80d7)...
I did warm install with all usb devices and config info left in place.

As i remember correctly, Wifi radar will show the control channel number, now im looking at the center channels for 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz. For instance i will pick control channel 36 and will look for interference in the neighborhood, when i select channel 36 in the drop-down, i wont see it. when i drop down to Ch 42 it will show up. I can be mistaken.?

Last edited:
These rarely get more than a few months of support unfortunately. That was one of the reasons why I went with the Shield TV. More expensive, but in addition to having pretty good hardware specs (and not having to guess which audio codecs would probably get passthrough support), it's still very actively updated by nVidia.
I’ve been looking at the nVidia shield but it’s out of my price range at the moment. It looks like a great product!
All is good though because my android box is still going for now and this alpha is running very well with all of my devices so big thumbs up from me RMerlin :)

I've posted this info elsewhere, but since it also applies to alpha1, I am repeating it here.

I am now trying to configure an 86U with 384.8alpha1. I started with a reset to factory defaults, then loaded 8alpha1. Then another reboot. Then I put the dhcp_staticlist.txt file in \jffs\configs. I also did that for vpn_client1_clientlist.txt. After a reboot, I expected those files to be used. But neither range is being updated. This technique worked for me on 380.70 but is not working on 8alpha1. Do I need to put those files in a different location for 8alpha1 to use them? Or, can I load those files another way?

Also, is there a similar technique for saving and restoring the WiFi settings for the main and guest accounts for both the 2.4 and 5?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!