What's new

[384.8_Alpha - builds] Testing all variants.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The exclamation point at the top that indicates a new firmware, does not stop flashing, even after reboot. To stop this, should I do a Reset?
I'm not too keen for reset because everything works very well with a dirty flash coming from 384.7_2

P.S: i dont have this exclamation point when i compile this alpha myself

Last edited:
The exclamation point at the top that indicates a new firmware, does not stop flashing, even after reboot. To stop this, should I do a Reset?
I'm not too keen for reset because everything works very well with a dirty flash coming from 384.7_2

P.S: i dont have this exclamation point when i compile this alpha myself ( my last build was the commits d48699b)
Did you try turning new version firmware check off and then on again? Might be worth a try. I would do it for beta firmware check as well.

I've posted this info elsewhere, but since it also applies to alpha1, I am repeating it here.

I am now trying to configure an 86U with 384.8alpha1. I started with a reset to factory defaults, then loaded 8alpha1. Then another reboot.

The reset to factory defaults needs to be done AFTER you load the new firmware.

I've posted this info elsewhere, but since it also applies to alpha1, I am repeating it here.

I am now trying to configure an 86U with 384.8alpha1. I started with a reset to factory defaults, then loaded 8alpha1. Then another reboot. Then I put the dhcp_staticlist.txt file in \jffs\configs. I also did that for vpn_client1_clientlist.txt. After a reboot, I expected those files to be used. But neither range is being updated. This technique worked for me on 380.70 but is not working on 8alpha1. Do I need to put those files in a different location for 8alpha1 to use them? Or, can I load those files another way?

Neither of these two files you are trying to use have ever existed in any firmware version. Not sure what you are trying to do here, nvram values can only be manipulated through the nvram userspace tool.

Just updated my 68U to RT-AC68U_384.8_alpha1-g9ac9c80d7.

Had a small installation quirk: Upon rebooting after installation I was able to connect to wifi and access the LAN just fine, but was unable to connect to the WAN/internet on any of my router connected devices. Had to reboot the router twice (on top of the post-installation reboot) to regain connectivity. This was the first time in the past year in a half of Merlin upgrades that this occurred. It was a minor issue, but wanted to put it out there in case anyone else experienced the same.

Will update as my uptime ticks on. Thanks again @RMerlin.

I was hoping that even though it has the ac86u binaries that the wifi stability fix was in GPL 32799.
Unfortunately, this firmware also causes random dropout with google home devices and mibox3 during streaming.
I know this is not a bug with Merlin's excellent work, I just wish Asus would use Merlin's affinity update to boost SMB performance too.

Whatever problem you have, always good to do an Initialise factory reset to test and report back.

I was hoping that even though it has the ac86u binaries that the wifi stability fix was in GPL 32799.
Unfortunately, this firmware also causes random dropout with google home devices and mibox3 during streaming.
I know this is not a bug with Merlin's excellent work, I just wish Asus would use Merlin's affinity update to boost SMB performance too.
Check this out, I also had issues both on Merlin and official, after a day wifi clients were unavailable, sometimes still connected to internet , but not reachable, verry strange , those 2 settings solved it...

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/wirless-not-able-to-ping-devices-in-other-wifi-band.49478/

I have been getting this error kernel: TCP: time wait bucket table overflow happening over and over and it must have started within the last 12 hours.
It looks like I might have to initialize and see if that clears it.

Last edited:
Check this out, I also had issues both on Merlin and official, after a day wifi clients were unavailable, sometimes still connected to internet , but not reachable, verry strange , those 2 settings solved it...

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/wirless-not-able-to-ping-devices-in-other-wifi-band.49478/

I have those set already, i also disable TX bursting and universal beamforming. And I always re-initialize when I jump from Rmerlin to official. the random breaks in the audio stream is one thing but when liveTV stop its very obvious. so my clients don't go unavailable, they randomly drop wifi temporarily for a short period then reconnects

edit: By the way the official 32797 for the ac86u also had the wifi drop issue, but they fixed it 32799.

Last edited:
Ahh I bet it could be a browser causing it! I vaguely remember having the issue before and it was Chrome and it disappeared when I restarted the browser!
I’ll check when I get home, thanks guys :)
It appears to have been Microsoft Edge causing the issue.
This alpha 1 has been going 1 day 4 hours and 11 mins and no other issues than I’ve already mentioned previously.

Took the plunge and dirty upgraded AC3100 from V384.7_2 to V384.8_alpha1-g9ac9c80d7 firmware, everything working great so far.

I have those set already, i also disable TX bursting and universal beamforming. And I always re-initialize when I jump from Rmerlin to official. the random breaks in the audio stream is one thing but when liveTV stop its very obvious. so my clients don't go unavailable, they randomly drop wifi temporarily for a short period then reconnects

edit: By the way the official 32797 for the ac86u also had the wifi drop issue, but they fixed it 32799.

ok, indeed today the same issue here , on 32799 official firmware, chromecast , google home , tablets unable to connect to 2.4 , 5 ghz still fine
all got "authentication error"

i was just about to reboot the router, then suddenly they were all able to connect verry strange
are there logs of anykind that i can look into? the system logbook on router is quite basic

Im assuming the new (alpha1-g9ac) 384.8 has the fix included from the 384.7_2 correct?

It appears to have been Microsoft Edge causing the issue.
This alpha 1 has been going 1 day 4 hours and 11 mins and no other issues than I’ve already mentioned previously.
Uptime 1 day 7 hours here on my vanilla setup. I’ve been testing WiFi speeds and they’ve been very consistent. I’m on 400/20. I’m consistently getting the over provisioned speeds of 470+/23 and no disconnects. Very pleased. :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!