What's new

386.1 Alpha?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I used Adamm's amcfwm update to compile 386.1_a2 for the Rt-ac86u. Works pretty well. Router is running this firmware now.

And you don't have issue with clients lists being null? It shows me 0 clients connected but everything works fine.
Been like this since alpha 1. Maybe clean install will work

can i pick your brains over getting pihole used for what settings i need on the router as jumping in to that soon with a rpi4??

Start off by going to https://pi-hole.net/ and follow instructions. If you want pihole to become a router, you have to disable dhcp on the router first. Make your rpi4 address fixed. Use this as a router address. You learn as you go over time to experiment with github and pihole blocklists, whitelists and regexs. It's really simple if you use google to help you figure out your pihole setup. I also use unbound as my dns server. Lots of possibilities to toy with and learn. Have fun. I used rpi3 with pihole but was stuck with the limited memory. Used a Dell server with Ubuntu with a lot of memory and lots of hard drive space. Nice. Less work for the router to do dns and dhcp.

And you don't have issue with clients lists being null? It shows me 0 clients connected but everything works fine.
Been like this since alpha 1. Maybe clean install will work

I noticed this. Not sure I needed to do a clean install if the 386 code is different from the 384 code. Unless @RMerlin recommends it.

So far no issues with the alpha 2 on my AC86U. The only issue I have seen is the blank client list. Other than that. It's running great.

I noticed this. Not sure I needed to do a clean install if the 386 code is different from the 384 code. Unless @RMerlin recommends it.
I install on top of 384.19 and working just fine.

Just wondering if those with RT-ac86u are seeing empty client status? No data. But router works...

Attachments

• 386.1_a2.png
    386.1_a2.png
    334.7 KB · Views: 360
Howdy Folks,

How long on average it take to compile firmware, on my vm it is taking about 40 minutes for RT-AX88U. Are other folks seeing similar results?

Howdy Folks,

How long on average it take to compile firmware, on my vm it is taking about 40 minutes for RT-AX88U. Are other folks seeing similar results?
About 25 minutes for me for AC86U. Compiled on a VirtualBox VM on a i7-8700K host running 4.7 GHz. VM configed for 4 Virtual CPUs and 6 GB Ram.

Update - I did a new AC86 Build today. Actually it was 6 minutes to create the build trees, and 37 minutes to compile and build.

Attachments

• AC86U_Build.JPG
    AC86U_Build.JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 265
Last edited:
Howdy Folks,

It took about 35 min on WSL2 running Ubuntu 18.04 LTS (68U).

Howdy Folks,

On my Ubuntu VM, it takes 1.5 to 2 hours to compile. That is the average compile time for over 3 years that I had the RT-AC86U. I should increase the vm memory from 2 gb to 4 gb to help with compile time.

I should increase the vm memory from 2 gb to 4 gb to help with compile time.

From my experience anything over 1.5GB isn't necessary, the compile time is mostly CPU bound.

Looking forward to when 386 based builds can be compiled for the world's best router, the RT-AX58U.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!