What's new

386.1 Alpha?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

other than ai mesh being overhauled what other major changes does this firmware bring?

That link to the changelog will be your best chance of knowing what is 'new'. Still in development, of course. :)

Wasn’t the 56U already dropped (by ASUS) long time ago?
That depends. Johns fork still supports it by porting over fixes for it and keeping updates similar to merlins. The only down side going that route is johns fork does not support the more advanced trend micro and adaptive qos, but some users would contend that those are not necessarily deal breakers. Asus has end of life their support though. The problem is the 56u,87u,and ac 3200 are on 382 code base so it is no longer realistic or feasible for Rmerlin to bandage the code base just to carry on making firmware for those models.

Last edited:
Haven't been seeing much talk about 386.1 Alpha having issues - can a beta or even release be far off at this point?
Every piece of equipment reaches end-of-support eventually; 3-5 yrs is actually quite a good run, considering "they" want most of us to upgrade our phones every 2 years or faster...

Haven't been seeing much talk about 386.1 Alpha having issues

That's because there are no alpha releases yet, and also because only four models are currently compilable on the new code base.

can a beta or even release be far off at this point?

Not anytime soon. Until Asus's own firmware code comes out of beta (which won't happen for weeks), mine won't even reach beta stage.

Nothing wrong with 384.19 ;)

Haven't been seeing much talk about 386.1 Alpha having issues - can a beta or even release be far off at this point?
Every piece of equipment reaches end-of-support eventually; 3-5 yrs is actually quite a good run, considering "they" want most of us to upgrad
That's because there are no alpha releases yet, and also because only four models are currently compilable on the new code base.

Not anytime soon. Until Asus's own firmware code comes out of beta (which won't happen for weeks), mine won't even reach beta stage.
The plus side, since asus moves at the speed of snail, it ensures you have time to take care of small details you have been wanting to get out of the way. The down side is testing and production is on the back burner. I think the pro's out weight the con's. We patiently await the future of Asuswrt-Merlin.:D

Every piece of equipment reaches end-of-support eventually; 3-5 yrs is actually quite a good run, considering "they" want most of us to upgrade our phones every 2 years or faster...

It would be nice if Broadcom actually upgraded their SDKs for the manufactures. The kernel is very old. What a nightmare to patch...

Linux RT-AC86U-F210 4.1.27 #2 SMP PREEMPT Sat Oct 3 18:56:21 EDT 2020 aarch64 ASUSWRT-Merlin
admin@RT-AC86U-F210:/tmp/home/root#

Merlin would properly cry each time a new SDK came out though...

Just the device list is empty on my AC86U. Everything else is working. VPN Client running great.

I do about 3-4TB of traffic a day since I work at home. No issue with the latest build from github.

It's an LTS kernel.

I just checked I think LTS is over for the 4.1.27 kernel. I jump to 4.19.x Super Longterm Support if I were Broadcom. Or suck it up and go to the latest LTS 5.4 It's still better than the 2.6.18 kernel. When I go to bed at night, I still see "2.6.18" burnt into my eyes. Maintenance is the hardest part and SDKs are very stale in the industry.

They could setup docker images of their SDKs and then share it with monthly releases.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!