What's new

386.1 Possible upload issue?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I have similar challenges. I have an RT-AC68P, running in bridge mode. I connect to an RT-AC3200 running the 384.10.0 firmware as my network host router on one of the 5Ghz bands. I have been running this setup for over a year, through various firmware updates on all of my hardware.

I have used both the 386.1.0 and 386.1.2 releases, and with both my measured upload speed using Speedtest is sub-1Mbps. My download speeds remain as expected, in the 200-ish range. My service is 200/10 ... When I downgrade back to 384.19.0, my upload speeds return to the expected levels of 10-ish Mbps.

Additionally, I noticed my link rate on the v384.19.0 firmware is over 1100 Mbps, while on the v386.x firmware it dropped to the 700-range Mbps. My equipment positioning has not changed.

Lastly, when downgrading the firmware from 386 to 384, I have to perform a factory reset because the admin account credentials are somehow corrupted and I cannot log in. I power cycled the unit, and that didn't resolve this particular issue after the downgrade. Since I upgraded to 386.1.0, downgraded to 384.19.0, and then upgraded again to 386.1.2, and downgraded again to 384.19.0, I needed to factory reset both times. Once my RT-AC68 was running the 384.19.0 firmware version, everything went back to expected performance and behavior.

Unfortunately, I didn't think to perform any screen captures ... but ... I would be willing to go through the entire exercise again to capture screenshots to share if anyone needed them for support research into the firmware.
I upgraded to 386.2.6 ... same issue. Upgraded to 386.3 ... same issue. Performed factory reset and reconfigured unit in media bridge mode with a "clean slate" and still no change. Reverting back to 384.19 resolves the issue ... still. I did think to perform a screen capture AND saved a debug version of the settings while 386.3 firmware was installed. I did notice that the upload / download activity meter on the main UI page shows no activity under 386.3 when the speedtest was being performed, however, with 384.19 firmware in place, it does.

YES ... I did read @RMerlin commenting on WiFi and AiMesh being "closed source" ... sharing these details here regardless as continuity for my original observation that the issue persists with the 386.x firmware.

NOTE: I reverted to the Asus factory 3.0.0.4.386_43129 firmware, and all works as expected. Additionally, I installed the ASUS stock firmware 385.x and all works as expected with that, as well. Upon installing the ASUS stock firmware 386.x, I confirmed that the defect is in the base firmware code. I will open a ticket with Asus (and suggest all others with similar issues to do the same) and see what they can do about this.

**UPDATE 20210726** Ticket has been opened with ASUS regarding this issue in their stock firmware.

Last edited:
I upgraded to 386.2.6 ... same issue. Upgraded to 386.3 ... same issue. Performed factory reset and reconfigured unit in media bridge mode with a "clean slate" and still no change. Reverting back to 384.19 resolves the issue ... still. I did think to perform a screen capture AND saved a debug version of the settings while 386.3 firmware was installed. I did notice that the upload / download activity meter on the main UI page shows no activity under 386.3 when the speedtest was being performed, however, with 384.19 firmware in place, it does.

YES ... I did read @RMerlin commenting on WiFi and AiMesh being "closed source" ... sharing these details here regardless as continuity for my original observation that the issue persists with the 386.x firmware.

NOTE: I reverted to the Asus factory 3.0.0.4.386_43129 firmware, and all works as expected. Additionally, I installed the ASUS stock firmware 385.x and all works as expected with that, as well. Upon installing the ASUS stock firmware 386.x, I confirmed that the defect is in the base firmware code. I will open a ticket with Asus (and suggest all others with similar issues to do the same) and see what they can do about this.

**UPDATE 20210726** Ticket has been opened with ASUS regarding this issue in their stock firmware.
I strongly URGE/REQUEST that everyone on this forum that have experienced slow/poor upload speed/throughput with the 386 based firmware to open an incident ticket with ASUS tech support. Feel free to even include a reference to my own ticket in your initial discussion; N2107037015. After 1 chat session, 1 phone call, and 8 (yes 8) rounds of email with their tech support team (never the same person twice), they have, and I quote,

"Unfortunately, according to the symptoms you have described with the router, we have to assume that you are dealing with a hardware issue that will require repair to resolve.

Even with the high importance, ASUS places on quality, at the end of the day our units are very complex technical products, which can sometimes malfunction on the hardware side. We are sorry that this appears to be the case with your unit, but will gladly complete the repair.
"

I own two RT-AC68P routers, and both exhibit the same issue for upload speed drop off with the 386 based firmware FROM ASUS but perform as expected with their 385 and 384 versions as well as the Merlin-ASUS 384 version firmware.

ASUS kindly offered to allow me to RMA, pay them a diagnostic fee, and then pay them more based upon those results to repair my devices.

I believe that with additional people reporting issues to them with their 386-version firmware, they will become more inclined to look into their AI Mesh 2.0 code based as it pertains to the AC68 series hardware.

Thank you for reading my rant and thank you in advance for your taking the time to create a support incident with ASUS directly.

David

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!