What's new

386.4 breaking 5GHZ wireless network on RT-AX88U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

nighthawke

New Around Here
I had to roll things back to .3_2 because .4 was breaking wireless access on 5GHZ. This is a stock unit, no frills, just a laptop cooling pad drawing power to keep things chilly. I shut down DNSSEC because my phone and tablet refused DNS, only connecting to router and nothing else. I'm going to reenable DNSSEC with .3_2 and see if my phone and tablet break again.

I had to roll things back to .3_2 because .4 was breaking wireless access on 5GHZ. This is a stock unit, no frills, just a laptop cooling pad drawing power to keep things chilly. I shut down DNSSEC because my phone and tablet refused DNS, only connecting to router and nothing else. I'm going to reenable DNSSEC with .3_2 and see if my phone and tablet break again.
I have no problems with 386.4 and 5GHz wireless. Could you provide more information regarding "breaking wireless access on 5GHz"?

Was it a dirty upgrade or did you do a full reset and manual? My setup was working fine before a dirty upgrade (386.3_2) but, while mostly stable, did have a few idiosyncrasies afterwards. Since doing a full WPS reset / rebuild all has been fine (just over 1 week since the rebuild).

Last edited:
It was a dirty upgrade on mine. It would connect, but there would be no access to internet or LAN assets. It acted like it was not translating DNS. My PC's worked normally, but after a time the ones on wireless would stall, the network symbol would shift to no network access, but the connection would remain. On my tablet and phone it would not do anything at all. I would be forced to refresh the connection on the PC's, but I could not revive the connection on my tablet and phone. I shut off DNSSEC with some success with restoring service to the portables, but the 5GHZ issue would remain.

Hence why I was forced to rollback.

My main router (AX88U) is running like a charm after dirty upgrade from 386.3 - maybe your setup turned something on/off bcs. of the update.
Did you read the change log in detail? Maybe it gives you a hint what changed and harmed your setup.
I suspect also something like WPA3, DFS or some topics on professional tab...? :rolleyes:

Oh I forgot, I DID shut off WPA3 during my diagnostics with no change. Of course, I had to run around and reset everything that used WPA3, whcih was two lappys and 3 smart devices. argh.

I'm functioning but also having some 5g anomalies. Believe I'm a "dirty upgrade" as well.

- Able to ping across guest net to main net. But no other access:
- I used Wifi analyzer (android) and it can not see/find devices on the main net from guest - but can ping them (?)
- There's a wired device with web services on the main net which those services cannot be accessed from guest
- WPA 2 / 3 devices find their way to the right level on the main net; but WPA3 devices connect as WPA/WPA2 on 5ghz guest... but the WPA3 devices wifi 6 devices connect and throttle at their correct higher AX speeds / 80-160mhz.

I'm also having this problem. It worked fine for a few days after updating then suddenly devices connected to the 5hz band said "connected without internet" rebooting the router fixes this for a seemingly random amount of time between 30 minutes and 12 hours then the internet is lost again.

Is it safe for me to manually downgrade the firmware without losing all my settings?

I had a similar issue with one of the 386 releases a few months back on multiple AC68Us, not my AX88U tho and the only way I ended up resolving the issue was by changing the 5GHz channel. I could then change it back to whatever I was using and had no issues going forward,

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!