What's new

8 port, small, managed switch suggestions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Tamarin

Regular Contributor
I'm looking for suggestions on an 8 port managed switch that is as small as possible. 10/100 is fine, the situation doesn't really allow gig-e. I own a SLM2008, and it's a fine sucker, but I'm wondering if anyone has anything even smaller. It's got to fit into a telco box that doesn't have a lot of depth.

Tam

Bytecc BT-555 or D-Link DGS-2208

Update: Ooops - didnt notice the managed switch requirement. The ones I mentioned below are unmanaged...

If 5 ports is enough then the Bytecc BT-555 5-Port 10/100 Ethernet Switch is tiny and is USB powered so there is no power pack required. I use mine all the time for hooking multiple laptops up and its fine for ssh and web surfing.

Throughput is however dreadful - dont expect 100mbits (or 10 for that matter) and I suspect there will be significant packet loss under heavy use - but most protocols (TCP/IP or whatever) will compensate as they do on modem based lines.

The D-Link DGS-2208 (can be found for ~$40) is a great all purpose 8-port gigE switch and while the case is 3+ times the size of the Bytecc unit the actual circuit board is smaller than the case ...

[Link to image]

... you might consider taking the board out and mounting it directly in your telco box.

PG.

Last edited:
There aren't many choices in managed switches. The Netgear GS108T is a very interesting one in terms of feature set. It's not as deep as some, but is wider than many.

It will probably be difficult to find something smaller in an 8 port switch. The SLM2008 is probably as small as they get, especially for a "smart" switch.

Vlan support is the biggest. Gigabit will provide more than enough bandwidth to eliminate any need for QoS in the current situation. I will probably go with the Netgear 8port one, as it's depth is actually shallow enough to fit. If only it could be powered over PoE the way the new SLM2005 and 2008s can be. Life would be perfect.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Tam

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!