What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Natiya

New Around Here
I'd like to capture 802.11ax packets using wireshark in an Ubuntu system, so I guess I need a USB adapter that I can set up in monitor mode and supports 802.11ax. Do you guys know any? Thanks!

The only AX adapter that can be added to a computer is the Intel AX200. It's an M.2 card and supports monitor mode.

You can use any adapter that supports monitor mode to capture HE management packets. The only thing you need an AX adapter for is to capture HE_MU data packets to explore OFDMA.

The only AX adapter that can be added to a computer is the Intel AX200. It's an M.2 card and supports monitor mode.

You can use any adapter that supports monitor mode to capture HE management packets. The only thing you need an AX adapter for is to capture HE_MU data packets to explore OFDMA.

Thank you!! It looks good!

I want to check the HE PPDU, the BSRP TF , the BSS color information in the Beacon, the Broadcast TWT Support, TWT Request and Response...so I think better to use a 802.11ax hardware for sniffing that, right?

I guess that card you suggested should work provided that my server has a slot for it, right? Do you know if there is anything else to check for compatibility? Also, maybe there is any sort of adapter and I can use it externally?

Last edited:
If all the parameters you are interested in are in the Beacon, you don't need an AX card. Have you tried sniffing with the adapter you have?
I've attached the Wireshark filter buttons I use, to save you time. Remove the .txt from the filename and put it in your account .config/Wireshark folder.

I don't know of any external M.2 adapters, only PCIe to M.2. You should not have to worry about adapter whitelists if you're running Ubuntu. But if drivers are required for the M.2 adapter, you'll need to see if those are available on Linux. Make sure you get a PCIe to M.2 adapter that supports a wireless card. Many just support SSDs.

Attachments

• dfilter_buttons.txt
    3.6 KB · Views: 361
If all the parameters you are interested in are in the Beacon, you don't need an AX card. Have you tried sniffing with the adapter you have?
I've attached the Wireshark filter buttons I use, to save you time. Remove the .txt from the filename and put it in your account .config/Wireshark folder.

I don't know of any external M.2 adapters, only PCIe to M.2. You should not have to worry about adapter whitelists if you're running Ubuntu. But if drivers are required for the M.2 adapter, you'll need to see if those are available on Linux. Make sure you get a PCIe to M.2 adapter that supports a wireless card. Many just support SSDs.

This is really useful, thank you very much! I'll try the adapter I've got with that configuration! Anyway, for the future, the adapter you mentioned looks good. I'm using an Ubuntu system, so I'll save the idea :)

Sad truth. AX is here to speed up our... phones. o_O
I would think there is still enough of a notebook/laptop market to support more than one card vendor. Apparently not. Broadcom has said it will not produce an M.2 format AX card. Qualcomm has one, but I haven't seen it in the wild. You'd think Mediatek would go after this, but haven't seen them yet.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!