What's new

$9 Router Cooling (RT-AC68U Example)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

We will have to agree to disagree on this one.

I understand the point you are making hggomes but I also understand Xeonox's.

So which ever point of view suits the individual is fine with me.

This SoC is not a XBOX360, it's designed to work at different / higher temperatures.

You should say that to Broadcom, but you are definitely distort the facts here and putting words in my mouth, no one ever insinuated that is good idea to run the router at 125ºC, in fact there's no router reaching those temperatures at all (including yours), that's the TJMAX value so different things, you should understand it.

The usual temperatures on the routers is around 70-85ºC, in hot days it can go close to 90ºC, in rare situations can go slightly higher, so the room left to reach TJMAX is still ~35ºC, so quite a different scenario from the one you are paiting. :rolleyes:

LoL, i most certainly hope its not the same chip as the xbox 360, lol...i was simply implying it reminded me of heat related issues the 360 had due to heat.

in reference to where i got 125C, its cause you kept bringing up the TJMAX and its listed at 125C, so since u wanted to go by documentation, theoretically the chip should be able to handle 125C, so i gave a "hypothetical" situation that if we ran 50 @125C and 50 60C , the batch running at 60c would have a lower failure rate after 5 years. i think you are failing to realize my point, i really dont care what the TJMAX is documented at or what temp anyones router is running at, im just am saying heat damages electronics and staying cooler is better, regardless of what the hardware can be ran or stressed at, there's no denying that cooler is always better 99% of the time when it comes to electronics.

sarcastically: im sure your router will live a decent life, i just want mines to live longer and it will :p :p :p:p

---peace out... i'm unsubbing to this thread

No problem. :D

I got your point and I agree with it on the shared link posted by me back then replying to a comment similar to yours about this matter:

"No doubts about it" (temperatures the lower the better)

One last thing to think about... I saw in the wireless drivers a 'temperature compensation' component that adjusts the power output depending on temp. How well that works when you move significantly off of the design default temp, I have no idea.

One last thing to think about... I saw in the wireless drivers a 'temperature compensation' component that adjusts the power output depending on temp. How well that works when you move significantly off of the design default temp, I have no idea.

I think folks worry too much about temps - consider that the HW engineers are going to spec a thermal solution that meets needs, they don't want product returns based on thermal events when the device is operating in the original design specification (e.g. stock clocks, voltages, etc)

So the temps might appear to be high, but they're generally within design parameters.

862c63a26a6d4ac55e0f155aae2b5651.jpg
4776962ec83b13e372802702f09917ec.jpg

I took apart the router and cut square cutouts for the fans.
I positioned the fans to blow cooler air right onto the heat sink, this result in a operating temperature of 59 Celsius. The ambient temperature is 27 Celsius.
I made the Fans run off the USB 2.0 port.
The Fans are 60mm and spin at 1,200rpm with no noticeable noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
That's something even worse to do if you buy a new router, I would definitely prefeer XeoNoX solution without a doubt.

If people are worried on router failing because of "high" temperatures it will not help by voiding warranty in the first day by doing it that way, if the router fails in the first 2 years (warranty period) users will wish never have done it, they will see a refused replacement, not the case with XeoNoX solution were he can simply remove the fan and send it to RMA without a problem, even with some pounds of dust inside. :rolleyes:

I know for a fact that some companys refuse replacements on those situations, Sony it's one of them, not sure about ASUS...

I definitely don't recommend users doing it unless they are out of warranty period and insist on lower temperatures.

Last edited:
That's something even worse to do if you buy a new router, I would definitely prefeer XeoNoX solution without a doubt.

If people are worried on router failing because of "high" temperatures it will not help by voiding warranty in the first day by doing it that way, if the router fails in the first 2 years (warranty period) users will wish to never have done it, they will see a refused replacement, not the case with XeoNoX solution were he can simply remove the fan and send it to RMA without a problem.

I definitely don't recommend users doing it unless they are out of warranty period and insist on lower temperatures.

I only posted these photos to share my interpretation of this mod. I prefer not to have zip ties around the routers antennas and base, because the Asus router is in visible sight.
I bought this router Second hand. No warranty included. The reason for the fan mod is to extend the life of the product due to the no warranty.
I would like to assume that we are all adults on the forum and can read the "void warranty" sticker on the screw under the Asus info sticker. It goes without saying that this mod will void warranty.... commonsense.

FYI not all models have it, one of my RT-AC68U's didn't, like I previously stated in your case it's perfectly fine, no warranty there.

My point was only this, I would prefeer "risking high temperatures" for 2 years instead loosing it in the first day by installing those fans.

Last edited:
04a510400d9dec56ceb0e2c4f298a10b.jpg

Regardless, the router was bought in mint condition, and the fans are doing an exceptional job at maintaining temperature.

FYI not all models have it, one of my RT-AC68U's didn't, like I previously stated in your case it's perfectly fine.

[emoji848] I'm not here to argue with you.....but that's hard to believe.

Hard or not it was the case.

Tip: You should definitely also upgrade your FW 2014 year + legions of security flaws on it. :D

Last edited:
Hard or not it was the case.

Tip: You should definitely upgrade your FW. :D

Stop spreading false information.
I just got off the phone with Mario from Asus tech support, ALL AC-68u have the void warranty stickers. Regardless if new or factory refurbished or T-Mobile variant.

Here is my case number N170786967

Please read it again:

... "One of my RT-AC68U's didn't" I had 3, no one is spreading false information, I'm only sharing that I already seen the case and already read the same on this/other forum, obviously that shouldn't be a normal situation at all, I guess the stickers "went out of stock" at some point. :D

Last edited:
Please read it again:

... "One of my RT-AC68U's didn't" I had 3, no one is spreading false information, I'm only sharing that I already seen the case and already read the same on this/other forum, obviously that's shouldn't be a normal situation at all, I guess the stickers went out of stock at some point. :D

Fabulous, you bought a used router that was tampered with.[emoji1303]
Now to clarify "your incorrect statement" ALL Asus routers from the factory, regardless of condition comes with the void warranty sticker. After all, we are talking about voiding your warranty, and which would require an RMA to Asus to address.

/ end of discussion.

hggomes, rubenel. Points made. Move on please.

I appreciate that you're the managing editor, but false info should not be tolerated or encourage in the SNB forum. If someone buys a new or used router without the void warranty sticker, they should be advised to RMA (if possible) the router. Again, call Asus and provide them with my case number to discuss the issue.
abe2dfd5aa1ea36a14c4f2e443f1b15f.jpg

That number only works to US customers, not EU, but I guess people can also complain at the place where they bought it if the case happens.

I would like to assume that we are all adults on the forum and can read the "void warranty" sticker on the screw under the Asus info sticker. It goes without saying that this mod will void warranty.... commonsense.

Those little "warranty void" stickers actually have zero weight in the US - it's more of a tamper seal than anything else - Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act applies here...

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/16/700.10

In California, and a couple of other states, you have additional protections.

That being said - if it's obvious that someone has gone inside, and broke the device, it's pretty much common sense, but it's more than just a missing/tampered sticker - the vendor has to prove that the customer damaged the device...