What's new

AB-Solution 1.0 release

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Thanks so much for your work @thelonelycoder. This is fantastic, I thought the advanced method was worth it for amount of set up versus amount of return, but, wow! this one has brought the amount of effort to essential zero. lol Fantastic work mate.

Going to play with this tonight or tomorrow.

Does anyone know if this will block ads from being injected into a Slingbox?

This is something I want to check during the install as well, but just had not the time to do it.

Can you post a screenshot of what settings you made so I can recreate it for my tests with my VPN provider?
I can then implement the findings in one of the next versions.

DNS.jpg

Going to play with this tonight or tomorrow.

Does anyone know if this will block ads from being injected into a Slingbox?

It appears that it does!

Is there a way to add a private persistent blacklist, too ?

I didn't follow the old AD Block thread because of complexity but with this script it's looks great.
Many thanks for this awesome work.

Is there a way to add a private persistent blacklist, too ?

I didn't follow the old AD Block thread because of complexity but with this script it's looks great.
Many thanks for this awesome work.

Yes. After installation, simply add the hosts to adblocking/blacklist.txt file and reload the blacklist via the menu.

@RoutNew36 The blacklist and whitelist txt files in the adblocking directory are meant just for that.
Add the domains just as the examples say at the top of the files.
They are persistent and won't be touched by my script unless there are empty lines found in them. These get deleted when you reload them, as otherwise they would create havoc with the hosts-adblock file.

can this use blocklists from ublock origin? since ad block allows some to pay to get their ads thru.

can this use blocklists from ublock origin? since ad block allows some to pay to get their ads thru.
Yes and No.
It cannot use uBlocks own generated lists as they are not compatible with dnsmasq.
There is no way to filter ads for all connected devices on a granular level such as uBlock does with with the limited resources the router provides.

However, AB-Solution uses the same hosts files uBlock does (and more if you select the Large hosts file).
Peter Lowe's https://pgl.yoyo.org as well as the malwaredomainlist.com list is ready for you to chose from.

Hi, does the script work with dnscrypt, I have the combined ad block the manual one, just teaked a bit the block lists, and it really works well and I set it up quickly , but I never coul make the dnsmasq.postconf work , so my config es on the dnsmasq.addconf and I include the dnscrypt part there and works really well, do you still have planes to do the AB-solution with the pixel serve type of block and if this works with dnscrypt are my main questions, thanks.

Hi, does the script work with dnscrypt, I have the combined ad block the manual one, just teaked a bit the block lists, and it really works well and I set it up quickly , but I never coul make the dnsmasq.postconf work , so my config es on the dnsmasq.addconf and I include the dnscrypt part there and works really well, do you still have planes to do the AB-solution with the pixel serve type of block and if this works with dnscrypt are my main questions, thanks.

just show me what you have done in the dnsmasq.add and what the file format looks like you use. I'll see what I can do then.
I am sure I can get that working with dnsmasq.postconf.

I am working on a variant of pixelserve to be a default part of AB-Solution, it's still in the early stages though.
Don't know when it will be ready, but it will be awesome with the the other stuff that comes with it!

Hi there, well I´ll be patient then :D, here my config
For the log rotating I dont use that, I just made a script that blanks out the file every week, I just have them there to troubleshoot is something is not working.
Thanks a lot.

Code:
address=/0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0
ptr-record=0.0.0.0.in-addr.arpa,0.0.0.0
addn-hosts=/tmp/mnt/sda1/hosts/hosts.blocked
#addn-hosts=/tmp/mnt/sda1/hosts/blacklist.txt
#Dnscrypt
no-resolv
server=127.0.0.1#65053
#Logs
log-facility=/tmp/mnt/sda1/logs/dnsmasq.log
log-async
log-queries

server=127.0.0.1#65053
Is it chocking on that then?
I'll give it a shot. But from what I've read, your N66U is not easily pleased.
Would you be willing to test that for me when I have it ready?

Same settings as @visortgw in the screenshot a few posts above?
did you men this screenshot? with this settings i solved ads if i connect over openvpn outside my local network...dnscrypt and your ab-solution script work together also....
f9ee247afe3ea584bfb34888d0c0c88d.jpg

sent from Kodi 17 Krypton

did you men this screenshot? with this settings i solved ads if i connect over openvpn outside my local network...dnscrypt and your ab-solution script work together also...
That is what I meant, yes. Thanks for confirming it works. I can make good use of such info's.

well this prevent any websites from working?

Also can someone tell me how to SSH into my router, I have only used telenet

Last edited:
well this prevent any websites from working?
Like with any other ad blocker that is used, some sites will refuse to serve you.

Also can someone tell me how to SSH into my router, I have only used telenet
Install a ssh client. I use Xshell by NetSarang, perpetually free for Home/Students. PuTTy is also used widely but cumbersome with settings.

Edit: Use your router credentials to login.
You probably have to enable ssh login first: Administration/System:
Enable SSH and best set SSH service port to something else than the standard 22, especially if you also enable Allow SSH access from WAN.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!