What's new

AB-Solution 2.0 is out! (v2.0.1)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

looking sharp, can't wait

small, but for el, wouldn't you want "edit white and/or black list". Instead of "white- and blacklist".

potAto poTAo, of course

Yes, much better :) I think it looks and reads cleaner. Again small fry (hehe another one), but makes a difference in the end.

In American English there is a saying potato patato (or tomato tamato) that represents when two people are effectively trying to communicate the same thing (or are talking about the same thing), but express it in a slightly different way.

It's hard to write out, but it's a play on the pronunciation of the word. Same word but pronounced differently.
Terrible example (and not representative of my viewing habits :) ) but here is a "friends" clip where you can hear it used "sad men's club" vs "divorced men's club". Basically same thing :) or Janitor vs Maintenance Technician, or Garbage man (or woman) vs Sanitation Worker:

Last edited:
OK, menu selection will be:
[EditWhiteOrBlackList] <-- edit
No typos allowed.

Speaking of typos: AB-Solution 2.1 will have 100% type error proof menu selections throughout.
Since the backspace, the up and down arrows are a hard to implement feature at an input selection, I've made the decision to reconstruct every single select dialogue.
If you find you entered a wrong selection, just type some more and hit enter.

Example:
[f] follow the logfile
[ac] update ads counter
My wrong entry: d
Now you just type some more, like: ddd and hit enter.
ddd is an invalid option and it will ask you to enter your selection again.

Okay, waaay off topic. But potato potahto is also a whole song in Shall We Dance with Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers :)

Following the thread very, very closely waiting to see 2.1! I've noticed TLC doesn't seem to ever sleep!

That's because him and Merlin are actually robots. They are the beta versions of siri/cortana, and we are just used for enhancing text to speech recognition for AI in a real world scenario.

Following the thread very, very closely waiting to see 2.1! I've noticed TLC doesn't seem to ever sleep!
...to the detriment of others around my place and my other real life acquaintances.
Not sure I got that detriment right, but you sure get what I mean.

That's because him and Merlin are actually robots. They are the beta versions of siri/cortana
(Siri sound) Did you mean HIM or MERLIN?

AFAIK AP mode does not allow the device to resolve it's own DNS.
It's an access point, not a router.

still, after installing ab-solution, i manually started dnsmasq, and after adding
1.2.3.4 google-analytics.com
to /etc/ hosts

my AP running dnsmasq is doing what it should:

# nslookup google-analytics.com 192.168.25.100

Server:192.168.25.100
Address:192.168.25.100#53
Name:google-analytics.com
Address: 1.2.3.4

so, if i can make it work, why cant ab-solution do it too?

still, after installing ab-solution, i manually started dnsmasq, and after adding
to /etc/ hosts

my AP running dnsmasq is doing what it should:

# nslookup google-analytics.com 192.168.25.100

Server:192.168.25.100
Address:192.168.25.100#53
Name:google-analytics.com
Address: 1.2.3.4

so, if i can make it work, why cant ab-solution do it too?
Check 1: Does /jffs/scripts/dnsmasq.postconf exist and does it have content similar to this
Code:
if [ -d "/tmp/mnt/sixteen" ];then
    source /tmp/mnt/sixteen/adblocking/scripts/ab_dnsmasq_postconf.sh
    logger "AB-Solution linked dnsmasq.postconf to ab_dnsmasq_postconf.sh"
fi

Check 2: Does /etc/dnsmasq.conf contain AB entries like these:
addn-hosts=/tmp/mnt/sixteen/adblocking/hosts-adblock
addn-hosts=/tmp/mnt/sixteen/adblocking/blacklist.txt
If not, then maybe an AP does not allow /jffs/scripts/dnsmasq.postconf to be processed.

Am I able to set Ab Solution to update automatically several times per week?
No, and I highly advise not to do so.
These lists are maybe updated once a week, some have a monthly schedule.

to /etc/ hosts
That would make sense if dnsmasq is NOT started when in AP mode.
Even if you start it manually, the scripts in /jffs/scripts would not be run automatically as these are probably not called in AP mode.
Maybe @john9527 or @RMerlin can answer that.

An AP has no need for dnsmasq, since it runs no DHCP server and no name resolver.

That would make sense if dnsmasq is NOT started when in AP mode.
Even if you start it manually, the scripts in /jffs/scripts would not be run automatically as these are probably not called in AP mode.
Maybe @john9527 or @RMerlin can answer that.

yes, i tried that more as a proof of concept, meaning, dnsmasq can work when in AP mode.

i would really like to make it work with ab-solution, but if not possible, at least i know that i can populate my hosts file and set up a script to keep dnsmasq alive and running...

Last edited:
An AP has no need for dnsmasq, since it runs no DHCP server and no name resolver.

right, but that doesnt mean it can't run it.
i see my router just like my debian pc.
it doesnt have to run a mail fetcher, but i do it anyway.

its a linux box, so, given enough time [to configure], it can do anything.

right, but that doesnt mean it can't run it.
i see my router just like my debian pc.
it doesnt have to run a mail fetcher, but i do it anyway.

its a linux box, so, given enough time [to configure], it can do anything.
I'm fully with you but what you are trying to do completely defeats the purpose of an AP.
If your AP is meant to resolve DNS within your LAN, then why not use it as such?
As a router.

I'm fully with you but what you are trying to do completely defeats the purpose of an AP.
If your AP is meant to resolve DNS within your LAN, then why not use it as such?
As a router.

i like the simplicity of the AP mode. :)
and then i just enable/install the services that i really want running (like ad blocking and antivirus).

i like the simplicity of the AP mode. :)
and then i just enable/install the services that i really want running (like ad blocking and antivirus).
You bought a Mercedes and degraded it to a VW, only to pimp it up to be an Audi with a Mercedes badge?
Good luck.