What's new

AB-Solution 2.0 is out! (v2.0.1)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hi!

Sorry for my n00bness, but I don't understand how I can add an entry in the whitelist. I'm using W10 with putty. AB-Solution 2.0.1 updated and running (and working) with standard hosts. I understand that I have to change to custom so I did that, but couldn't figure out how to add entries to the whitelist.

Sorry if this been asked/explained before, tried searching but nothing useful appeared...

Thanks for help =)

Hi!

Sorry for my n00bness, but I don't understand how I can add an entry in the whitelist. I'm using W10 with putty. AB-Solution 2.0.1 updated and running (and working) with standard hosts. I understand that I have to change to custom so I did that, but couldn't figure out how to add entries to the whitelist.

Sorry if this been asked/explained before, tried searching but nothing useful appeared...

Thanks for help =)
No need to change to "Custom". Simply add entries to adblocking/whitelist.txt using text editor of choice. Run ab-solution script. Select menu option [p] process white- and blacklist and follow prompts to process new whitelist.

So far, I have never made two teaser posts before I release a new version.
But this here is an exception.
No ETA for version 2.1 yet, but testing for a small group begins soon.

It's 3:50 in the morning and last night I had an idea.
It came to fruition only moments ago.
And here is the outcome:

Zj2iG1l.png

This is the check that's done before pixelserve installation begins.
Would I like to continue?

OlPHxv0.png

I had existing certificates, no need to create them again.

YEl4V5U.png

Done! You may have noticed the new messaging system.

o57VvcP.png

The color theme was born out of a real need. Having it running
on three routers makes it boring to look at the same old colors.
Four themes are built in:
standard (red as above), green, blue and blank (no colors at all).

So far, I have never made two teaser posts before I release a new version.
But this here is an exception.
No ETA for version 2.1 yet, but testing for a small group begins soon.

It's 3:50 in the morning and last night I had an idea.
It came to fruition only moments ago.
And here is the outcome:

Zj2iG1l.png

This is the check that's done before pixelserve installation begins.
Would I like to continue?

OlPHxv0.png

I had existing certificates, no need to create them again.

YEl4V5U.png

Done! You may have noticed the new messaging system.

o57VvcP.png

The color theme was born out of a real need. Having it running
on three routers makes it boring to look at the same old colors.
Four themes are built in:
standard (red as above), green, blue and blank (no colors at all).
This is absolutely amazing! Please let me know if you are looking for additional testers.

This looks very slick and obviously a lot of work went into it. Will ab-solution be able to manage pixelserv-tls version changes too?.... for example, when kvic sorts out the version Ki issues , I'm sure there will ultimately be an entware version of it with features that may impact or be able to be leveraged by ab-solution.
I echo visortgw sentiments about testing.... I have entware and ab-solution set up on two different partitions in the same USB stick. if you want any aspect of the install or checking process tested I'm happy to give you feedback.

Small question, just trying to understand how all of this works:

When exactly is the host file used? Currently, I'm using my own DNS server, which is running on my nas.

afaik, a dns request should currently work like this:

Client sends request -> router -> my NAS. NAS either already has the adress, then it goes NAS -> Router -> client.
If the NAS does not have the address already, it forwards it to googles dns servers. NAS -> Router -> Internet -> Router -> NAS. Then NAS -> Router -> Client.

My questions is: When exactly does ab-solution step in here? Where exactly does it block a request to an ad server? Does ab-solution even work if you're running your own DNS on a NAS like I do?

Ab-solution won't work with your own DNS as it is checking the DNS requests to dnsmasq on the router to its host files

This looks very slick and obviously a lot of work went into it. Will ab-solution be able to manage pixelserv-tls version changes too?.... for example, when kvic sorts out the version Ki issues , I'm sure there will ultimately be an entware version of it with features that may impact or be able to be leveraged by ab-solution.
Sure, it's an already built in feature...
The pixelserv install and manage code is in the addon file 'pixelserv-tls.add' and can easily be updated if new features are added to pixelserv-tls by @kvic .

By the way, addon files have the extension .add from AB-Solution v2.1 on-wards (update-hosts.add, log-stats.add).

But I'll let a screenshot speak what's possible ATM, introducing the 'blue' theme at the same time.
And '3. add other pixelserv switches' does what it says, it lets you add your own switches to pixelserv through AB-Solution.
The switch -l for logging (option 2) is part of the on/off features strategy of AB-Solution.

(sorry, a third teaser image for the upcoming v2.1)
SCVQBRs.png

My questions is: When exactly does ab-solution step in here? Where exactly does it block a request to an ad server? Does ab-solution even work if you're running your own DNS on a NAS like I do?
As @tomsk already answered: AB-Solution needs to be the main Gateway for all DNS queries to be able to work and do it's magic.

But your NAS DNS Server can still be leveraged by adding it to the /jffs/configs/dnsmasq.conf.add file for requests to local resources.
I have some CentOS Servers running locally, they manage their own DNS. I do this with entries such as these:
Code:
address=/dev/192.168.2.160
address=/aus/192.168.2.170
This lets all .dev and .aus Domains be resolved by the respective CentOS servers, like ab-solution.dev would be resolved by 192.168.2.160.

Love the colors :) How about adding a "theme" option (we do live in the age of RGB these days). Maybe a small logic to let users pick their color theme of choice. Once they pick, AB will save a little reference file with there color code. Then on subsequent launches, AB will do a small first check to see if a "reference color" exists, if not, then to the default theme it goes, else it loads their custom color if it does.

And I assume adding .add will fix the previous anomaly found when truncating .abc to .ab etc, easy and smooth :)

And I assume adding .add will fix the previous anomaly found when truncating .abc to .ab etc, easy and smooth :)
This more resolves a design fault I made long ago. I think it was in AB-Solution 1.05 I started coding for addons and abandoned it.
It came back in 2.0 but I realised too late it's a mess having AB-Solution generated scripts in the /scripts/ folder mixed with addon files.
Now it neatly solves that by having a /addon/ folder and the downloaded scripts named *.add. Keeping the locally generated scripts in it's own folder.
AB-Solution 2.1 changes A LOT, hence the version increase and the long time it takes me to get it ready for external testing.
It looks very good so far: Fresh installs run absolutely stable; updating versions back from the 1.0 days as well.
I am at the stage of testing and finishing coding of the automated (cu) version updater. I have a few things to solve in that area first.

Love the colors :) How about adding a "theme" option (we do live in the age of RGB these days). Maybe a small logic to let users pick their color theme of choice. Once they pick, AB will save a little reference file with there color code. Then on subsequent launches, AB will do a small first check to see if a "reference color" exists, if not, then to the default theme it goes, else it loads their custom color if it does.
I'm not sure I understand what you mean by adding theme colors, and maybe you did not fully understand what I meant in a previous post.
2.1 Introduces 4 built in color themes.
I do my best to use 'shell save' colors. Especially the built in Ash shell that comes with the routers BusyBox binary.
Here are screenshots from my iPad, me changing the themes on it:

fEp9558.png

Wq4r2u1.png

BDywUIB.png

Ahhhhh super cool, you already did it :)

I had noticed in your examples you had some different colors. Did not realize you already embedded this in the "Sub menu". Haha, forget I said anything then, you are already ahead of me :)

Is there a guide to install entware, pixelserv, then ab-solutions? Like each command in a row that I would need to run.

Is there a guide to install entware, pixelserv, then ab-solutions? Like each command in a row that I would need to run.
v2.1 will take care of all of that for you! It will be well worth the wait!

@tomsk
Thank you for the explanation, I just killed my own DNS server xD

Different question: Does the adblock survive the installation of a newer firmware?

@tomsk

Different question: Does the adblock survive the installation of a newer firmware?
Yes, as long as the newer firmware still meets the criteria:

"Asuswrt-Merlin firmware installed on a supported router"​

@tomsk

Most of the files are on the external device, so you only have to worry about the jffs partition.... i believe the MIPS routers in particular can sometimes have the jffs partition affected so its worth backing that up.
I have upgraded my firmware twice already on my AC68 (Arm Router) and everything survived.

If you have the patience to wait a little while, just install AB-Solution 2.0.1. It does a great job of blocking ads on it's own. Entware and pixelserve-tls add the icing to the cake.
Version 2.1 will add these for you and integrate them seamlessly without the hassle of config file conflicts. All within about a couple of minutes.