What's new

AB-Solution 2.0 is out! (v2.0.1)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I'm not good with Linux and I don't want to fail with pixelserv so I'm thinking to redirect to an IP with one pixel page. It will work in this way? I'm asking because I didn't found yet that page.
AB-Solution 2.1 with the automated install and seamless integration of Entware and pixelserv-tls is not released yet.
Wait for it, you won't regret it.

Cool! Thx! I wanted to try pixelserv but as I said I was afraid of failure.
Fingers crossed for v2.1 tests!

I have AC66U with Merlin 380.62_1. With HE.net 6in4 tunnel enabled AB-Solution 2.0.1 doasn't block IPv6 domains from Blacklist.txt. Any solution?

I have AC66U with Merlin 380.62_1. With HE.net 6in4 tunnel enabled AB-Solution 2.0.1 doasn't block IPv6 domains from Blacklist.txt. Any solution?
You will have to add IPv6 entries separately to it.
Like so, substitute the IPv4 blocking IP if it is a different address from 0.0.0.0:
Code:
0.0.0.0 pricegrabber.com
0.0.0.0 www.pricegrabber.com
:: pricegrabber.com
:: www.pricegrabber.com

Edit: Run (p) afterwards.

I'm not good with Linux and I don't want to fail with pixelserv so I'm thinking to redirect to an IP with one pixel page. It will work in this way? I'm asking because I didn't found yet that page.
Just wait on the release of v2.1.
thelonleycoder has made everything automaticly install by just selecting the correct option in the install script.

I have not read all the posts in this thread, so if it is already answered I'm sorry.

But is there any interface directly in the firmware (the web gui) to control the ad blocking? Like turning it on and off, see basic statistics (maybe) and make sure listings etc are updated from there?

Or you have to control it purely through SSH (which is not a problem, I just want to know)?

I have not read all the posts in this thread, so if it is already answered I'm sorry.

But is there any interface directly in the firmware (the web gui) to control the ad blocking? Like turning it on and off, see basic statistics (maybe) and make sure listings etc are updated from there?

Or you have to control it purely through SSH (which is not a problem, I just want to know)?
The very advanced shellUI is all I managed to do so far.

It's very easy in a shell. After the installation. SSH into the router, the script is symlinked, so all you have to do to do is sh ab-solution and you're in the shell UI.

Does AB-Solution work while I am connected through OpenVPN Client?

I have a PIA VPN (OpenVPN client) which i use to connect certain devices, PIA connects to its own DNS server while connected through VPN (To avoid DNS leak).

I was just wondering whether the devices which i route through VPN are also protected by AB-Solution..

I use AC-68U with the latest merlin firmware.

I have a PIA VPN (OpenVPN client) which i use to connect certain devices, PIA connects to its own DNS server while connected through VPN (To avoid DNS leak).

I was just wondering whether the devices which i route through VPN are also protected by AB-Solution..

I use AC-68U with the latest merlin firmware.
AB solution works with dnsmasq to block ad hosts. Merlins openVPN client bypasses dnsmasq when connected. So the short answer is no.... i might be wrong but I believe johns firmware does use dnsmasq for its openVPN client, so that may be an option if you want to block ads while connected to the tunnel

A quick question about the trafic.db.

I am running ab-solution 2.01 (and tls-pixelserv) on a RT-AC87U with HGG Final 380.59.1
In ab-solution I have activated the logging [l] and weekly stats [ws]. I noticed there is a pretty large traffic.db present in jffs memory and I think there are quite a few write operations to this file.

Is it possible to move this file to the usb-drive that is attached to the router, or is there a special reason why it is placed in the jffs partition?
If yes, is symlyncing the trafic.db from the jffs to the usb drive a good idea, or is there a better way?

A quick question about the trafic.db.

I am running ab-solution 2.01 (and tls-pixelserv) on a RT-AC87U with HGG Final 380.59.1
In ab-solution I have activated the logging [l] and weekly stats [ws]. I noticed there is a pretty large traffic.db present in jffs memory and I think there are quite a few write operations to this file.

Is it possible to move this file to the usb-drive that is attached to the router, or is there a special reason why it is placed in the jffs partition?
If yes, is symlyncing the trafic.db from the jffs to the usb drive a good idea, or is there a better way?
AB-Solution has it's files exclusively saved in the /adblocking/ directory on your device.
The dnsmasq log files for the stats/ads counter/logging are in the /logs/ sub-directory.

The traffic.db has nothing to do with my app.
Settings for it's location are in the WebUI > Tools > Other Settings

Last edited:
Absolutely!
Edit: Sorry, my mistake, did not see the Client part.
With an OpenVPN Client this may not work.

AB solution works with dnsmasq to block ad hosts. Merlins openVPN client bypasses dnsmasq when connected. So the short answer is no.... i might be wrong but I believe johns firmware does use dnsmasq for its openVPN client, so that may be an option if you want to block ads while connected to the tunnel
Good news: WebUI > VPN > OpenVPN Servers
VPN Details, select Advanced Settings.
I have these set to:
Push LAN to clients: Yes
Direct clients to redirect Internet traffic: No
Respond to DNS: Yes
Advertise DNS to clients: Yes

Would be a shame for me if I couldn't show off what AB-Solution is capable of when having a beer with friends at the popular local watering hole.

Last edited:
AB-Solution has it's files exclusively saved in the /adblocking/ directory on your device.
The dnsmasq log files for the stats/ads counter/logging are /logs/ sub-directory.

The traffic.db has nothing to do with my app.
Settings for it's location are in the WebUI > Tools > Other Settings

Sorry, my mistake :oops:
Must have activated the statistics in the fw around the same time i installed ab-solution.

With your help got it moved to the usb. Thnx again!

Absolutely!
Edit: Sorry, my mistake, did not see the Client part.
With an OpenVPN Client this may not work.

Good news: WebUI > VPN > OpenVPN Servers
VPN Details, select Advanced Settings.
I have these set to:
Push LAN to clients: Yes
Direct clients to redirect Internet traffic: No
Respond to DNS: Yes
Advertise DNS to clients: Yes

Would be a shame for me if I couldn't show off what AB-Solution is capable of when having a beer with friends at the popular local watering hole.

I would also suggest try adding the custom configuration parameter to the openvpn server config: push "block-outside-dns"
which should stop the dns leaks as well.

Is there any point in even having things like ublock origin installed in my browser when I'm using ab-solution? Which of them would take precedence in case I'm using both at the same time?

I have ab-solution but still I find things getting blocked in my browser by Ublock origin and ABP so I still have them as a second line of defense against ads.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Is there any point in even having things like ublock origin installed in my browser when I'm using ab-solution? Which of them would take precedence in case I'm using both at the same time?
The browser receives the page code and displays the page. While doing that, additional recources and ads are requested to load from servers. Your browser blocker screens these requests and prevents blocked parts to be loaded.
AB-Solution blocks these when they are requested by the browser.
I have no need for additional browser or device specific ad-blocking software.

AB-Solution 2.1 looks to be a reall winner, especially if it installs Entware and Pixelserve alongside it. Cant go wrong now ! Looking forward to its release, Thanks thelonelycoder