What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone getting "checking installation state" and just nothing happening when trying to access AB Solution to update?
I'm typing sh /tmp/mnt/sda1/ab-solution.sh

My install didn’t survive the updat. Just had to completely reinstall AB-solution (amtm made it a breeze though) because though AB-solution said it was running, it no longer blocked any ads. Even stranger, pixelserv webpage was available but all starts were zero, only the uptime clock was running.

Removing and completely reinstalling pixelserv and ab solved it. This install generated a new RSA key. Is this one the same as created previously? Or do I need to replace it on all client devices?

Anyone getting "checking installation state" and just nothing happening when trying to access AB Solution to update?
I'm typing sh /tmp/mnt/sda1/ab-solution.sh
I had that after updating followed by chmod right errors (sudden read only rights) a reboot solved it, only to crash again to this state after a bit of time.

AB-Solution 3.11.1 is now available
Use cu to update to this latest version.

What's new in version 3.11.1
Changed
: pixelserv-tls check completely rewritten to not solely rely on wget.

If you are stuck on 'checking installation state' you best kill the process by either entering CTRL + c or close and reopen the SSH terminal.
Then use the install command on the website. This will download this latest version with the new check function and start up normally.

I think I found a bug, below is a screendump from a telnet session

The following happened: chmod ownership errors again. Now I realized this happened after consolidating the whitelists (option 8 and +)

this wrecks ownership and breaks the amtm shortcut as a concequence
lookin at below, I got the issue and need to uninstall and reinstall AB-solution, AMTM no longer worked after that so had to delete and reinstall AMTM, then both worked, I can open and close without the chmod errors. Then I ran 8+ and the CHMOD errors are back and amtm shortcut is again broken.

EDIT: updated to 11.1 and now it seems to be ok after running 8+ again.
exiting AB-Solution
checking installation state
chmod: /tmp/mnt/AB-Solution/adblocking: Read-only file system
chmod: /tmp/mnt/AB-Solution/adblocking/scripts/ab_dnsmasq_postconf.sh: Read-only file system
chmod: /tmp/mnt/AB-Solution/adblocking/addon/functions.add: Read-only file system
chmod: /tmp/mnt/AB-Solution/adblocking/addon/pixelserv-tls.add: Read-only file system
chmod: /tmp/mnt/AB-Solution/adblocking/addon/rotate-logs.add: Read-only file system
chmod: /tmp/mnt/AB-Solution/adblocking/addon/update-hosts.add: Read-only file system
chmod: /tmp/mnt/AB-Solution/ab-solution.sh: Read-only file system
chmod: /opt/etc/init.d/S80pixelserv-tls: Read-only file system
chmod: /opt/etc/init.d/rc.func: Read-only file system
chmod: /opt/etc/init.d/rc.unslung: Read-only file system
chmod: /opt/bin/ab-solution: Read-only file system
chmod: /tmp/mnt/AB-Solution/adblocking/scripts/ab_dnsmasq_postconf.sh: Read-only file system
chmod: /tmp/mnt/AB-Solution/adblocking/addon/functions.add: Read-only file system
chmod: /tmp/mnt/AB-Solution/adblocking/addon/pixelserv-tls.add: Read-only file system
chmod: /tmp/mnt/AB-Solution/adblocking/addon/rotate-logs.add: Read-only file system
chmod: /tmp/mnt/AB-Solution/adblocking/addon/update-hosts.add: Read-only file system
chmod: /tmp/mnt/AB-Solution/ab-solution.sh: Read-only file system
chmod: /opt/etc/init.d/S80pixelserv-tls: Read-only file system
chmod: /opt/etc/init.d/rc.func: Read-only file system
chmod: /opt/etc/init.d/rc.unslung: Read-only file system
chmod: /opt/bin/ab-solution: Read-only file system

AB-Solution v3.11.1 addresses the problems some of you have had while installing pixelserv-tls or during startup or shutdown of the AB UI when during 'checking installation state' pixelserve-tls did not respond to the wget command.
I now run 'killall -SIGUSR1 pixelserv-tls' and check the syslog.log for the telltale ps output.
If /tmp/syslog.log is not present for some reason or the -SIGUSR1 is not successful, the former wget command is run.

Now, to make this clear: There is only one way to be 100% sure pixelserv-tls is really running:
By having it output the servstats and see if that is not empty.
The new -SIGUSR1 test may return successful but this does not prove pixelserv-tls is actually in working order.
But one of these tests will at least return something to work with if they both fail.

Last edited:
as long as there is current activity on the status page it should be ok?
pixelserv-tls: v2.0.1-rc3 compiled: Dec 10 2017 15:45:45 options: 192.168.1.2
837 uts, 1 log, 9 kcc, 12 kmx, 1.54 kvg, 9 krq, 137 req, 1187 avg, 7073 rmx, 38 tav, 705 tmx, 86 slh, 2 slm, 0 sle, 17 slc, 4 slu, 16 nfe, 0 gif, 0 ico, 21 txt, 0 jpg, 0 png, 0 swf, 1 sta, 2 stt, 0 ufe, 1 opt, 4 pst, 0 hed, 11 rdr, 0 nou, 0 pth, 0 204, 0 bad, 2 tmo, 15 cls, 35 cly, 0 clt, 0 err

The following happened: chmod ownership errors again. Now I realized this happened after consolidating the whitelists (option 8 and +)

this wrecks ownership and breaks the amtm shortcut as a concequence
AB-Solution is incapable to set the complete device as read-only.
You have a lot of these errors and encourage you to check your USB device or whatever other scripts you have running.
Maybe you overdo it with some of your own check scripts, I don't know.

The 'killall -SIGUSR1 pixelserv-tls' will return something even if it is in non-working state. That's why I added this remark.

I've got nothing else running? I also don't tinker anything myself, I only copy and paste (and now amtm ;) ) the scripts made available here in this subforum
a clean 2GB USB formatted to EXT2 with EAUS partition tool
AMTM
Skynet
AB-solution
Pixelserv beta

that's all, accessed via PUTTY, running on latest RT-AC5300 merlin FW (updated yesterday to 380.69 beta 1)

pixelserv-tls: v2.0.1-rc3 compiled: Dec 10 2017 15:45:45 options: 192.168.1.2
837 uts, 1 log, 9 kcc, 12 kmx, 1.54 kvg, 9 krq, 137 req, 1187 avg, 7073 rmx, 38 tav, 705 tmx, 86 slh, 2 slm, 0 sle, 17 slc, 4 slu, 16 nfe, 0 gif, 0 ico, 21 txt, 0 jpg, 0 png, 0 swf, 1 sta, 2 stt, 0 ufe, 1 opt, 4 pst, 0 hed, 11 rdr, 0 nou, 0 pth, 0 204, 0 bad, 2 tmo, 15 cls, 35 cly, 0 clt, 0 err
Not necessarily. Pixelserv can still be stuck without any telltale signs, which happened for some users. For this rare case, the service was alive but pixelserv was stuck. Only the servstats page does not respond and no page finishes loading. When this happens, then Ab-Solution gets stuck in the "checking installation state" line. A fix is in the works by @kvic. I'm not sure if that's the case for you. You can install the latest beta of rc3 with the timestamp "compiled: Dec 10 2017 15:45:45" and see if that solves your problem.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Before everyone jumps in and become a blame game. :) I would want to clarify on the "stuck" issue in pixelserv-tls beta's.

The cause of "stuck" issue was well understood in the past weekend. Its occurrence highly depends on clients on your LAN. If you don't have a history of seeing "stuck" before. Its' unlikely caused by the issue. And probably has nothing to do with pixelserv-tls.

I just updated ab-solution and now when updating the blocking file this happens:
Code:
 getting hosts file 5, preprocessing file:
 https://www.malwaredomainlist.com/hostslist/hosts.txt
 file 5 download failed or file is not hosts file, using backup file
EDIT: It was happening before the update.
EDIT: Rebooted router. I tried to update the blocking files again. It paused for a long time but was in the end successful. Sorry another false alarm.

Last edited:
Before everyone jumps in and become a blame game.
This is not a blame game, at least not from me. I've wanted to optimize the AB ps check for a long time.
The way I did it originally required several things to be true for it to work:
- pixelserv-tls running in general
- pixelserv-tls listening on the assigned ps IP address
- no other services listening on the ps IP port 80
- no access restriction enabled in the router UI, although that is checked and an exception is added to that list
- wget working and not a version not supporting the switches I use

If these were all true then the test was successful and with it half the router's software was also checked as a side effect.

Now, I only use some simple killall, sed and grep and get a true or false in milliseconds, with one second delay built in if writing to syslog is slow.

I'm glad I finally made the effort and probably will never hear about it again.
I cross fingers.

I just updated ab-solution and now when updating the blocking file this happens:
Code:
EDIT: It was happening before the update.
EDIT: Rebooted router. I tried to update the blocking files again. It paused for a long time but was in the end successful. Sorry another false alarm.
That server is slow to respond for a while now. And I'm not going to increase the timeout of 12 seconds, three tries, just because of that.
They will sort it out eventually.

@thelonelycoder Hey friend this keeps happening when updating the 10 host files.
Code:

This is in system logs:
Code:
Dec 11 09:26:39 QuincyVomCanisphere: AB-Solution: file 5 download failed or file is not hosts file, using backup file

@thelonelycoder Hey friend this keeps happening when updating the 10 host files.

Its because the server the file is hosted on is down, nothing todo with AB, the maintainers will fix it sooner or later.

Its because the server the file is hosted on is down, nothing todo with AB, the maintainers will fix it sooner or later.
Thanks you guys!!

Status
Not open for further replies.