What's new
  • SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I updated this morning to 3.10.1. Now I can't edit the white- or blacklist. The script just stops working when I try to enter a website. The only way to exit out of the list and the hanging script is with ctrl c. Maybe it's the terminal program I'm using, but it worked just fine until the update this morning. I'll try to switch to PUTTY or something to see if that solve the problem. The app I'm using is Terminal Remote, a Windows 10 store app and the router is a RT-AC87U.

Welcome and thanks for registering, it makes things a lot easier through here than via E-Mail.

First try these commands in your SSH client. They are the ones run right after you start the install process.
Note: Replace "pro?" with "proc" in the command:
Code:
grep -oE 'merlin|OpenWrt|padavan' /pro?/version
This should return "merlin"

Then I check for dos2unix:
Code:
which dos2unix
This will return /usr/bin/dos2unix

Then I check if there are no other processes listening on port 80:
Code:
netstat -tuln | grep ":80 " | grep -q '0\.0\.0\.0:80 '
This should not return anything at all.

Then I check if the internet works but we leave that out for the moment.

Hello sir thx you very much this worked i just install on all my Asus router :)
exiting AB-Solution
checking installation state
all good, shutting down UI
_ ___ ___ _ _ _
/_\ | _ )___/ __| ___| |_ _| |_(_)___ _ _
/ _ \| _ \___\__ \/ _ \ | || | _| / _ \ ' \
/_/ \_\___/ |___/\___/_|\_,_|\__|_\___/_||_|

See you later

admin@RT-AC87U-4238:/tmp/home/root#

thx you one time more g work

I updated this morning to 3.10.1. Now I can't edit the white- or blacklist. The script just stops working when I try to enter a website. The only way to exit out of the list and the hanging script is with ctrl c. Maybe it's the terminal program I'm using, but it worked just fine until the update this morning. I'll try to switch to PUTTY or something to see if that solve the problem. The app I'm using is Terminal Remote, a Windows 10 store app and the router is a RT-AC87U.
There are two Apps in the Microsoft Store: Remote Terminal and Remote Terminal 2.
Which one are you using?

Well, I just tried both, the Remote Terminal and Remote Terminal 2 Apps.

I have no words for this crap, stay away from it. I mean it.
I can't even login, both of them ask questions when connecting for the first time:

zaTmzbw.png

These stupid Apps jump back to the beginning of the line when you answer. Evidence is the "Yo you want ..." crap you see above.
The "D" from "Do you want..." is replaced by my answer "Y" or "y".

Use PuTTY, or even better: Xshell 5 from Netsarang.

Well, I just tried both, the Remote Terminal and Remote Terminal 2 Apps.

I have no words for this crap, stay away from it. I mean it.
I can't even login, both of them ask questions when connecting for the first time:

zaTmzbw.png

These stupid Apps jump back to the beginning of the line when you answer. Evidence is the "Yo you want ..." crap you see above.
The "D" from "Do you want..." is replaced by my answer "Y" or "y".

Use PuTTY, or even better: Xshell 5 from Netsarang.

Thanks for the tip on Xshell 5. It works like a charm. I kicked that Remote Terminal to the curb.

Oh wow, you are from Lucerne. I love Switzerland and Lucerne is such a great city. I could only dream of living there with all the landscapes, nature, and Alps.

Oh wow, you are from Lucerne. I love Switzerland and Lucerne is such a great city. I could only dream of living there with all the landscapes, nature, and Alps.
I like it where I live. For holidays I prefer to visit wide open and empty landscapes, like the Australian Outback or the Southwest US.
I need the elbow room every now and then and I'm inexplicably drawn to red rocks.

I like it where I live. For holidays I prefer to visit wide open and empty landscapes, like the Australian Outback or the Southwest US.
I need the elbow room every now and then and I'm inexplicably drawn to red rocks.

I'm form Boston, but I ski alot in Alps and just came from Switzerland in early October and was there in May as well

For those with several popular scripts installed from around here, there's good news:
I have just released amtm, the SNBForums Asuswrt-Merlin Terminal Menu

It's a smart shortcut manager for popular scripts for wireless routers running Asuswrt-Merlin firmware.

Greetings.
I installed v3.10 as my first attempt with ab-solutions and have quad-8 as my WAN DNS with blank LAN DNS entries. I have a RT-AC88U running Merlin 380_68_4.

I see sites like adclick.g.doubleclick.net in the absolutions "blocking_file," but ads pointing to that sub-domain appear in side-bars in yahoo, for example. I've followed [f] the log file and that site does not appear to be blocked on refresh of yahoo. I'm at level 4 in blocking, currently. The overall number of ad-related sites that are caught seems low, as well, compared to pi-hole that I've been running so far on a network server.

Any thoughts about how to kill these ads that show up, but whose domains/sub-domains are in the blocking file? Only 28 sites were blocked in the last couple of hours.

Interesting. On my Win10 desktop running Firefox the (https) ads show up. But if I VPN in to the router using the router's VPN server from a Samsung Tablet using Firefox, the ad is blocked on that same site.
Thanks

Last edited:
Greetings.
I installed v3.10 as my first attempt with ab-solutions and have quad-8 as my WAN DNS with blank LAN DNS entries. I have a RT-AC88U running Merlin 380_68_4.

I see sites like adclick.g.doubleclick.net in the absolutions "blocking_file," but ads pointing to that sub-domain appear in side-bars in yahoo, for example. I've followed [f] the log file and that site does not appear to be blocked on refresh of yahoo. I'm at level 4 in blocking, currently. The overall number of ad-related sites that are caught seems low, as well, compared to pi-hole that I've been running so far on a network server.

Any thoughts about how to kill these ads that show up, but whose domains/sub-domains are in the blocking file? Only 28 sites were blocked in the last couple of hours.

Interesting. On my Win10 desktop running Firefox the (https) ads show up. But if I VPN in to the router using the router's VPN server from a Samsung Tablet using Firefox, the ad is blocked on that same site.
Thanks
Since you used Pi-Hole before, make sure your devices use your routers IP address as the DNS server. Set this and clear browser cache and OS DNS cache.
In Windows this is:
Code:
ipconfig/flushdns

Thanks, I'll keep monitoring the behavior. I'm pleased that VPN clients of the router seem to inherit the ad filters. Nice.

Thanks, I'll keep monitoring the behavior. I'm pleased that VPN clients of the router seem to inherit the ad filters. Nice.
Your VPN is set correctly to use the local DNS server, that's why it worked.
Your devices may still have the Pi-Hole DNS server setting set.
Or the worst case scenario for AB-Solution: They use an upstream DNS Server like 8.8.8.8 provided by Google.

See the FAQ: https://www.ab-solution.info/use/faq.html

Hello there i have new problem after i have install not blocking any ads any where !
i am using nordvpn on my networks
i forget add
AB-Solution 3.10 by thelonelycoder
----------------------------------------------------
RT-AC87U (armv7l) fw-380.68 @ 192.168.1.1
451,188 blocked domains 6 hosts files in use
(logging off, no stats available)

on my asus
WAN DNS Setting
Connect to DNS Server automatically
No
than add
dns 1 and dns 2
192.168.1.1 ?

Last edited:
Hello there i have new problem after i have install not blocking any ads any where !
i am using nordvpn on my networks
i forget add
AB-Solution 3.10 by thelonelycoder
RT-AC87U (armv7l) fw-380.68 @ 192.168.1.1
451,188 blocked domains 6 hosts files in use
(logging off, no stats available)

on my asus
WAN DNS Setting
Connect to DNS Server automatically
No
than add
dns 1 and dns 2
192.168.1.1 ?
Described in the FAQ: https://www.ab-solution.info/use/faq.html

There's a section of your script that whitelists IPs within Skynet. I use a custom filter list within Skynet. Might I suggest running that section of script before downloading the hosts. I had to cancel installing your script twice to set up Skynet to see what IPs were being blocked. They were 107.22.171.143 and 213.230.210.230. After that, the hosts downloaded fine. :)

Your VPN is set correctly to use the local DNS server, that's why it worked.
Your devices may still have the Pi-Hole DNS server setting set.
Or the worst case scenario for AB-Solution: They use an upstream DNS Server like 8.8.8.8 provided by Google.

See the FAQ: https://www.ab-solution.info/use/faq.html
All's working well. One point of confusion that I resolved. It was not clear that one needs in the WAN settings to set the DNS either to "Connect Automatically" and use the ISP's DSN, or to specify another preferred DSN. I got wrapped around the axle and had tried setting the WAN DSN to the router's IP address to "enable" AB-Solution by pointing to it. No go, of course.

May I suggest that the FAQ entry about how to specify an alternate WAN DSN provider could use some clarification along the lines that one either must to specify a DSN explicitly, or set it to default to your ISP's DSN.

There's a section of your script that whitelists IPs within Skynet. I use a custom filter list within Skynet. Might I suggest running that section of script before downloading the hosts. I had to cancel installing your script twice to set up Skynet to see what IPs were being blocked. They were 107.22.171.143 and 213.230.210.230. After that, the hosts downloaded fine. :)
I don't run anything at all in Skynet. We just share lists of hosts to whitelist in each others scripts.
Skynet is IP based while AB is hosts based.
I block hosts resolving to the real world IP.

That said, I don't know how AB can do anything different.
The two IPs are these hosts:
213.230.210.230 hosts-file.net
107.22.171.143 ec2-107-22-171-144.compute-1.amazonaws.com

You definitely should not block the hosts-file.net host. It is the source of four of the hosts files in the blocking file types.
hosts-file.net is erroneously included in the adblock.mahakala.is hosts file which is included in two blocking file types.

But that is not a problem because:
What you need to know is that while the blocking file updates, only a single hosts file is active: Peter Lowe's pgl.yoyo.org/adservers.
This is a VERY conservative and minimal list.

Or maybe I misunderstood your question, it's late here.

May I suggest that the FAQ entry about how to specify an alternate WAN DSN provider could use some clarification along the lines that one either must to specify a DSN explicitly, or set it to default to your ISP's DSN.
DSN? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DSN

You mean DNS Server, right?
I think that the FAQ is pretty clear. It tells you how to set alternate DNS servers.
Whatever you set in the WAN settings is of no consequence to AB-Solution. I'm only worried if you set DNS servers in the LAN settings.
But this is detected by AB-Solution during install.

Status
Not open for further replies.