What's new

AC-68 QoS System

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Lazz

Occasional Visitor
I feel like I must be missing something.. Are the only QoS rules available in the AC68 listed in the dropdown menu? I have many games that aren't listed, and so far the QoS has not been able to deal with concurrent media streams and online gaming well at all.

Is there a way to specify a certain program if not listed? I've tried dividing up the bandwidth by device (So the media systems and portable devices are lower priority than my main rig) however it doesn't seem to matter at all. With a 100Mbps WAN connection, a Netflix stream (not even highest quality!) on the 360 will bring my ping in-game (no matter what game - Titanfall, L4D2, etc. etc.) way up, well over 500ms.

I've searched the web (and these forums) and tried to tweak the user-defined rules, but Netflix isn't listed as a service (or even streaming video - not surprising since the router probably sees it all as basic UDP packets) and neither are most of the games I play; So, as I said I''m simply trying to divide available bandwidth by device but it doesn't seem to be working.

Is there any better way to configure the QoS rules so that my wife can watch Netflix and I can game at the same time?

Thanks in advance, experts!

The listed games are merely presets. You can manually create your own rules below, by checking which ports or server IPs are used by the game you wish to add.

might as well point out that QOS will most likely not affect gaming at all. Gaming is good or bad almost always based on your upload "speed" which qos doesn't touch from what I have read.

I only have experience with halo gaming but that game only uses at most 40KB/s of upload and download. So the real problem is your router handling lots of traffic and your ping latency to your DNS server (and your servers reliability) as well as local internet traffic if say you are in an apartment.

All that to say that QOS doesn't really do much if at all to your gaming experience (for games like halo at least). I have no idea if other games actually use a substantial amount of up and download bandwidth (i mean 40KB/s is so low for a game like halo that i can't imagine other online games using so much more that QOS would help anything.)

Never used QoS in this router and I had no issues when gaming. I would simply limit the torrent bandwidth to 75% of my max download rate. With Netflix or anything that consumes far less bandwidth was never an issue.

The WiFi on 360 is an ugly beast of its own as i recently learned from Merlin, the 360 WiFi has issues of its own do to poor design.

You could get a much older Netgear router that has a better QoS system that will prioritize the traffic on different levels and use it as a middle man on your network. I think wndr3700 has good QoS and with 3rd party firmware from Gargoyle makes it even better.

Or you can wait till Asus sorts out all the issues and brings out solid firmware with proper working QoS.