What's new

AC-86U and getting WAN IP on restart

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

terminator

Regular Contributor
I have an AC86U and I am on the latest firmware. For the last few firmwares [can't remember exactly when this behavior started], I have noticed that when the router is restarted [from the UI menu, have not tested unplugging it], it does not get a WAN IP on it's own. The router is connected via direct ethernet to Verizon Fios ONT outside (no coax). I have go to the WAN menu, select Enable WAN 'no', then save, then select Enable WAN 'yes', then save and then it gets an IP. WAN connection type is set to 'Automatic IP' and I think other settings there are default too. Any ideas? Am I missing something?

I have an AC86U and I am on the latest firmware. For the last few firmwares [can't remember exactly when this behavior started], I have noticed that when the router is restarted [from the UI menu, have not tested unplugging it], it does not get a WAN IP on it's own. The router is connected via direct ethernet to Verizon Fios ONT outside (no coax). I have go to the WAN menu, select Enable WAN 'no', then save, then select Enable WAN 'yes', then save and then it gets an IP. WAN connection type is set to 'Automatic IP' and I think other settings there are default too. Any ideas? Am I missing something?
If you have IPV6 enabled try disabling it. Then reboot
And what do you mean by latest firmware? Merlin 384.16 or Asus stock? Makes a difference

If wan ip is assigned by DHCP, wait time is expected, next time don't do manually and see if it comes up in say about five minutes. There is setting in wan section which allow to set DHCP frequency might wanna set to aggressive instead of normal.

I have rt-ac86u in office and it does same thing.

Yeah, presumably IP is assigned by DHCP. "Aggressive" was already selected by default. I could have sworn this used to work (getting an IP instantly on restart) a few versions ago.

Yeah, presumably IP is assigned by DHCP. "Aggressive" was already selected by default. I could have sworn this used to work (getting an IP instantly on restart) a few versions ago.
Try 'Normal' mode instead....some ISPs get upset if they get queried too 'aggressively' (maybe an ISP change?).

Tried that with no luck.

I don't think it has much to do with ISP because from router when I manually disable, then enable WAN, it works 100% of the times. Seems like whatever the WAN disable/enable does, needs to happen at the startup.