What's new

AC1900P pptp vs l2tp

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

houmi

Regular Contributor
Hi VPN Gurus,

So I got mixed results with OpenVPN (speed wise) and am trying some pptp/l2tp setup and speed tests.

The odd thing is that I can't connect to the server using the pptp configuration, but if I use the same server/login/password on l2tp, it does connect. The weird part is that the l2tp box does not have any option for the shared key, so I am totally confused.

I am using the latest Merlin firmware.

VPN noob here... ;)

what speeds are you getting? I'm still fighting with n66u and OpenVPN, the best I could get is 5mb/sec. I was going to setup my main AC1900P router to try OpenVPN, so I'm very courious what you are getting. BTW... I had no problems with trying
PPTP protocol on n66u (running latest Merlin fw) maxing its speed at 25mb/sec.

VPN noob here... ;)

what speeds are you getting? I'm still fighting with n66u and OpenVPN, the best I could get is 5mb/sec. I was going to setup my main AC1900P router to try OpenVPN, so I'm very courious what you are getting. BTW... I had no problems with trying
PPTP protocol on n66u (running latest Merlin fw) maxing its speed at 25mb/sec.

pptp/l2tp I get around 35Mbps
openvpn to PIA I get about 40Mbps, but I think the encryption is 128bit maybe less.

my other VPN provider which provides 256bit is around 5Mbps as well. I doubt you'll get much higher than 5 with these routers, if the encryption is high and distance is far.

I think best speeds are at lower encryption bits or going pptp/l2tp