What's new

AC68 - Hardest Crash Ever

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kenhlan

Regular Contributor
Been running Merlin for a long while. I dont always update to each and every Merlin version, but maybe twice a year.

Recently updated from 386_7_2 to 386_9.

Dirty update without a router clear and reset and seemed to run fine for a few days.

One morning in the middle of talking with Alexa, she lost connection.

Checked all my devices and none could connect wired or wireless.

Rebooted a couple of times. No Joy.

Ran ipconfig on my Windows box and had no IP assigned, even after router reboots.

Gave up and hard reset the router.

Reloaded the 386_7_2 back and did an NVRAM restore from a previous save. (Thanks for that utility! - John?)

Anyway, I am back up and stable again, but have NEVER had that hard of an unrecoverable crash before.

Only two things changed from the previous condition I have ran sinceOct 22: 1) Updated the firmware, 2) Assigned a fixed IP to an updated NAS, which replaced an old one.

Everything was stable for a few days, until the router went wonky with no DHCP or Wireless, and no recovery after reboot.

Going to sit on 386_7_2 for a little longer it appears....

Last edited:
Been running Merlin for a long while. I dont always update to each and every Merlin version, but maybe twice a year.

Recently updated from 386_7_2 to 386_9.

Dirty update without a router clear and reset and seemed to run fine for a few days.

One morning in the middle of talking with Alexa, she lost connection.

Checked all my devices and none could connect wired or wireless.

Rebooted a couple of times. No Joy.

Ran ipconfig on my Windows box and had no IP assigned, even after router reboots.

Gave up and hard reset the router.

Reloaded the 386_7_2 back and did an NVRAM restore from a previous save. (Thanks for that utility! - John?)

Anyway, I am back up and stable again, but have NEVER had that hard of an unrecoverable crash before.

Only two things changed from the previous condition I have ran sinceOct 22: 1) Updated the firmware, 2) Assigned a fixed IP to an updated NAS, which replaced an old one.

Everything was stable for a few days, until the router went wonky with to DHCP or Wireless, and no recover after reboot.

Going to sit on 386_7_2 for a little longer it appears....

Lots of similar threads here about the 68U with 386_9. Seems dirty upgrade is not an option for this step up, and even then, the router may be too NVRAM limited for it. But if you want to try it you'll have to factory reset and restore settings manually, not from a backup.

There have been several RT-AC68U users who ran into low NVRAM issues after a dirty flash to 386.9. For example see here, here, and here. I ran into it on the Alpha 386.9, see here. RMerlin explained the reasons why older AC routers are seeing these low NVRAM errors crop up, see this link. The solution seems to be, do a hard factory reset after flashing 386.9 and manually reconfigure the router (don't restore from a backed up config file). Or try some of the suggestions in this thread to lower the NVRAM.

No issues with the final 386.9 so far. Currently on 11+ days uptime since I last messed around with the router settings that required a reboot.
System_Information_Up_Time.jpg

RT-AC68U running final 386.9 with YazFi and YazDHCP.

Thanks gents,

Maybe Ive maxed out this router, if the capacity for updates is diminishing...

It has been a GREAT unit, getting my family of 5 through the pandemic and way before, TW, Teleschool, MANY devices connected, streaming everywhere, 5 separated/segregated SSIDs, parental controls, QOS, dual WAN, Diversion adblock, two USBs. Woo! Workhorse!

Wont owe me anything.

I have no clue about mesh routers, but I guess I'll start getting smart....

Knock on wood!

Stay on 386.7_2 for now and plan router upgrade. This router is great, but based on >10 years old technology, has low NVRAM left with newer firmware versions and won't be updated past 386 code base. It's in unofficial End-of-Life state. You have to upgrade to AX if you want to see 388 firmware.

Eyeballing the AX86U now....(Dont tell my venerable AC68!)

wow - this thread saved me - I have three AC68U's and one is on the verge of dying... so was going to flash 386.9 on the replacement...

I had 3 AC68Ps (1 Master and 2 AIMesh nodes) and flashed them to 386_9 and they all kept crashing etc, even after factory resets, so I downgraded them all to 386_7 and turned them in to AIMesh nodes after adding in a new GT-AC2900. I flashed it to 386_9 and it also crashed, so now everything is running at 386_7 and things have been stable for several weeks. Not too sad though, with a master router and 3 AIMesh Nodes, I have better WiFi than the office. lol