What's new

AC68U to AC86U for simple VPN streaming?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Entropism

Occasional Visitor
So here's my issue, maybe you guys can lend your expertise:

I'm currently streaming my TV service, mostly through the respective apps on an AppleTV. HBO, Showtime, Netflix, NBC, etc, etc. Unfortunately, to stream my local hockey team, I had to purchase a subscription through NHL.tv and then use NordVPN to make it look like I'm out of state. I see to be getting a fairly spotty connection with the VPN, where my desktop is seeing 100+mb when connected, and my AppleTV is seeing 5-20mb/s. I'm trying to get an HD feed, so anything over 30-50mb/s would be ideal.

Currently, I have the modem upstairs, running into an AC68U. I have a MOCA adapter attached to that, and downstairs I have another MOCA leading to a switch, where my AppleTV, Xbox, receiver and TV are wired up. I have a 1gb/40mb connection, and I'm seeing about 850mb/s on the appleTV through a speedtest app.

The router is running OpenVPN, with a semi local (Philadelphia or Atlanta, I'm in NJ) IP, with strictly the AppleTV being routed through the VPN. Everything else is running an open pipe to my ISP.

So... Would upgrading to an AC86u be worth it? Should I put together a PFSense box? My other network needs are very simple, and I'd rather not tinker endlessly if I don't have to. Everything else in the house works rather well (wifi, etc). Frankly, I just want it to just work.

Let me know, and thanks in advance!

Edit: I also have a spare Raspberry Pi laying around. Would setting it up as a PiVPN work better than using a router?

Last edited: