What's new

AC86u 2.4GHz max speed 144Mbps

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

zd59

Regular Contributor
Hi!

Ia have AC86U with Merlin FW 384.17
I noticed a limited speed at 2.4 GHz. No device connected can not exceed 144Mbps - Wifi Log show 144/144 and signal -34 dBm (distance 2m).
I'm in the country house with no other WiFi signal (no other routers near or other disturbances).

I know, that I achieved a higher rates (300/300) with older FW (Merlin also) but was not attentative. Now I have a headless machine, and want to achieve higher rates.

What could be the reason?

Attached are all WiFi settings on the router.

Attachments

• WiFi_general.png
    WiFi_general.png
    320.3 KB · Views: 343
  • WiFi_pro1.png
    WiFi_pro1.png
    31 KB · Views: 316
  • WiFi_pro2.png
    WiFi_pro2.png
    16.2 KB · Views: 453
It's because your 2.4Ghz channel is set to 20/40 (auto) width and it has automatically chosen a 20Mhz width. 300 is only when you have set to to 40Mhz, or for being in the middle of nowhere (and even then..) 40MHz width is never recommended for th2 2.4Ghz frequency. Even if you are in the middle of nowhere, there are a lot of poor IoT devices which just do not play well.

Also, recommend you disable Airtime Fairness on both channels.

It's because your 2.4Ghz channel is set to 20/40 (auto) width and it has automatically chosen a 20Mhz width. 300 is only when you have set to to 40Mhz, or for being in the middle of nowhere (and even then..) 40MHz width is never recommended for th2 2.4Ghz frequency. Even if you are in the middle of nowhere, there are a lot of poor IoT devices which just do not play well.

Also, recommend you disable Airtime Fairness on both channels.

Thanks a lot!

Your magic:
upload_2020-5-11_16-55-12.png

This router is fantastic:
First on a list is WiFi surveillance camera 20m away
Last one is Linux box on a attic (reinforced concrete and two floors above)
There is no WiFi extender.

Attachments

• upload_2020-5-11_16-46-41.png
    upload_2020-5-11_16-46-41.png
    6 KB · Views: 253
You can disable all those:
TX Bursting
Airtime Fairness
Multi-User MIMO
Explicit Beamforming

And enable this to save battery on mobile devices:
WMM APSD

TX Bursting
Airtime Fairness
Multi-User MIMO
Explicit Beamforming

And enable this to save battery on mobile devices:
WMM APSD
Thanks.

And another (stupid :rolleyes:) question:
Is it possible to bond 2.4 + 5 GHz in one speedier link?

If you're at two meters.I strongly suggest, you use 5 Ghz. You will get a reported speed of 867 mbit/s and real (measured) speeds above 300 mbit/s.

Last edited:
If you're at two meters.I strongly suggest, you use 5 Ghz. You will get a reported speed of 867 mbit/s and real (measured) speeds above 300 mbit/s.

You are right.

Stay home forces us to work at home. So my wife & son work 2-3 m from a router.
But a year ago I switched off 5GHz part of a router as this frequency is far more harmful to humans.
And 2.4GHz speed is fast enough for all purposes even for Samba on that wonderful peace of hardware. Video transfers to RPi4 player is over 1GB wire. For my video surveillance is only suitable 2.4 GHz, as a server is too far for 5GHz.

By the way, Zoneminder on my Slackware micro server works excellent. I can do anything and it's free. Commercial video surveillance packages are to closed and limited.

TX Bursting
Airtime Fairness
Multi-User MIMO
Explicit Beamforming
Why would one disable these?

Edit:
Explicit beamforming provides better reception, range, and throughput while minimizing interference.

Turn Bursting On When:
In general, you should turn these options on if you have 1~5 devices supported at the same time by your wireless router or access point. The more devices that your AP is supporting, the more likely that you may run into lag issues with the Tx or frame burst technology. Since most of the wifi network is pretty dynamic with different usage patterns, you will have to make that decision based on own personal usage.

Turn Busting Off When:
The only exception is that you should turn Tx Burst off if you are running N or AC only networks. Remember to read to tooltip to make sure that your router is supporting your level of technology. Most of the router’s settings do specify that Tx Burst is only supported in 802.11g wifi standards.

Airtime Fairness:
The setting takes away the monopoly in network time by the slower device (making the slower device even slower), dedicate and shift those processing time to the faster device to achieve better overall network performance.

Last edited:
Airtime is good in theory.
In the real world google/nest iot, sonos and amazon iot has a lot of problems coping with it....

You are right.

Stay home forces us to work at home. So my wife & son work 2-3 m from a router.
But a year ago I switched off 5GHz part of a router as this frequency is far more harmful to humans.
And 2.4GHz speed is fast enough for all purposes even for Samba on that wonderful peace of hardware. Video transfers to RPi4 player is over 1GB wire. For my video surveillance is only suitable 2.4 GHz, as a server is too far for 5GHz.

By the way, Zoneminder on my Slackware micro server works excellent. I can do anything and it's free. Commercial video surveillance packages are to closed and limited.
You do not need high bandwidth for cams on Zoneminder. I have several systems still running G wifi cams at 640x480 on Zoneminder that work very well. Several of those cams are 80 ft from the router.
And, turn your 5GHZ back on and use it! There are a lot more things that will kill you today than a weak radio.

You do not need high bandwidth for cams on Zoneminder. I have several systems still running G wifi cams at 640x480 on Zoneminder that work very well. Several of those cams are 80 ft from the router.
My WiFi camera is 5MP with VGA for motion detection. In need hires, for recognition of intruders and car plates. Do not want to be robbed again.
But this discussion is for a ZM forum. :)

Best regards bbunge!

Stay home, stay healthy. - this is valid for all readers here.

Not only is this thread spreading misinformation/fearmongering about 5ghz WiFi, it's not specifically related to Asuswrt-Merlin, as the whole "20mhz vs 40mhz channel width" thing is most likely a base Asuswrt firmware topic.

The 5 GHz discussion is OT. Question has been answered. Closing thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!