What's new

AC86U DFS Channels Missing (Canada) Latest Firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hi rumipuffs, I am in the same situation: No DFS channels in my RT-AC86U, Asus stock firmware (not Merlin): 3.0.0.4.386_41634 (the latest).

I bought it (in Canada) from Bestbuy on Nov. 2017 (before DFS's approval in Canada, so that may be the problem in my case).

Please let us know if you ever find a way to enable DFS channels on your RT-AC86U! Thanks.

P.S> I forgot to mention that I am using it in AP mode, but that does not seem to be the issue, since you have the same problem in both "router" and "AP" modes.

That's interesting. I bought mine at Staples too. Does yours say something like US or EU then?

Even on the box it says manufactured 2020 firmware 384. So, you'd think it would have DFS since it was approved in Canada in 2018.

Sorry for the delay. Got tired up in other job. It appears mine is a US model. Packed by accident I guess when shipped to Staples.

Sorry for the delay. Got tired up in other job. It appears mine is a US model. Packed by accident I guess when shipped to Staples.

Which Staples did you get your AC86U? I just signed up an account here to reply because I am running into the exact situation here. Picked up an AC86U this afternoon from Staples and came to my surprise that no DFS channels are listed in the Wireless/Control Channel setting. How did you know yours is the US model?

Which Staples did you get your AC86U? I just signed up an account here to reply because I am running into the exact situation here. Picked up an AC86U this afternoon from Staples and came to my surprise that no DFS channels are listed in the Wireless/Control Channel setting. How did you know yours is the US model?

As to how I found out my unit is not a Canadian version, read this thread from the top. The info is herein. As to which Staples, I don't know - it was an online order for delivery. If you are hoping for a non Canadian version as well, I should think you should not hold your breath. Mine was likely a fluke of the greatest order. I'd change it back to Canada if I could (as I suspect thier is other pitfalls), but as I understand it, the region code is encrypted in the boot loader and can not be changed.

Hi all,

Posting to this thread because I have an issue just like the OP's. I just picked up an RT-AC86U and updated it to 3.0.0.4.386_42643. We live in a downtown row house with lots of 5GHz congestion and I bought this unit with the intention of using one of the 5GHz DFS frequencies. Sadly, the only channels that appear are Auto, 36/40/44/48 and 149/1553/157/161. 165 also appears if Channel bandwidth is set to 20 or 20/40/80.

I followed the SSH instructions above and this is definitely a Canadian model. The hugely informative Jerry Jongerius web page says this router should support five 5 GHz 80 MHz channels but I can't see a check box to enable the DFS channels.

Thanks for any help and thanks for a great forum!

Thanks for the quick reply ColinTaylor. My new RT-AC86U was manufactured in 2020 so should it not give me the option to select 5 X 5 GHz 80 MHz channels?
I think you'd have to contact Asus Canada and ask them for a definitive statement on what channels to expect. Just because Asus could have certified DFS channels with the Canadian authorities doesn't necessarily mean they did. On the other hand it could just be a bug in the wireless driver, so it would be worth reporting it.

I think you'd have to contact Asus Canada and ask them for a definitive statement on what channels to expect. Just because Asus could have certified DFS channels with the Canadian authorities doesn't necessarily mean they did. On the other hand it could just be a bug in the wireless driver, so it would be worth reporting it.
Thanks again - sent to Asus support just now using their web form:

I bought this router on the understanding that it would support five 5 GHz 80MHz wireless channels including three DFS channels. I don't see anything in the wireless settings that will allow me to select any channels other than Auto, 36, 40, 44, 48, 149, 153, 157, 161 or 165. How can I enable the DFS channels on this router? Thanks!

Here is their initial response:

Code:
Hi Valued Customer,

Thank you for contacting ASUS Customer Loyalty Support. My name is Jamalie P. After reviewing your email, it is my understanding that you would like to select the DFS channel.

Unfortunately, after reviewing your model, I'm seeing that it does not support this feature.

In the event that you have additional concerns, please let me know, and I will be happy to take care of them as well. Thank you for choosing ASUS. Your case number is (redacted).

Regards,
Jamalie P.
ASUS Customer Loyalty Support
http://www.asus.com/us/support/

I responded :

Code:
I understand that the USA version of the RT-AC86U supports five of the six DFS channels. Two questions:

1.    Can you confirm that the USA version of the RT-AC86U *does* support five of the DFS channels?

2.    DFS-capable routers and access points are completely legal in Canada. Why does the Canadian version not support any DFS channels?

Response from ASUS:

Code:
Thank you for responding to ASUS product support.

My name is Adam P. and it will be my pleasure to assist you!

Please be advised that we only have one version of this model in North America. It only varies on the firmware version the router is using but upon checking the specification of the router, it does not support DFS channel, unfortunately.

Adam P. went on to ask for some log files - I have no idea why. The official position from ASUS support is that DFS channels are not supported so what good would the log files do?

Last weekend I went to my local Canada Computers store and bought a Ubituiti UAP-AC-Lite. Only 2X2 MIMO but it does all six DFS channels so mission accomplished. I'm keeping the ASUS for travel. It works great with my little old Chromecast dongle when I get the urge to stream things that require a VPN.

Final word from ASUS support:
Code:
Hello,

Thank you for your response.

Thanks for your feedback. Currently DFS channel option is only supported from selected AX models.

Please find more information below:

[Wireless Router] What is DFS (Dynamic Frequency Selection) and how does it work on ASUS router?
https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1045936/

Please make note of your case number for future reference: [redacted]

Regards,
Aaron L.

ASUS Product Support
https://www.asus.com/us/support/

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!