What's new

AC86U dying: Debating on spare AX68U or buying GT-AX6000 for 1Gb

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Amiga

Occasional Visitor
I've got an AC86U that I've been struggling with for several months, via scheduled nightly reboots, clean Merlin installs, and manual reboots (like today) when there's been zero end-user activity. I'm thinking of upgrading my cable to gigabit (with 100Mb upload) and know you can tweak aspects on the AC86U, and I'm sure the AX68U, to get it happy with supporting that speed (via Ethernet). I have a spare unused AX68U that has been aging like a fine wine because I wasn't crazy about it's range (2.4 GHz) compared to my AC86U. My biggest strain on my routers is concurrently using different VPNs within Asuswrt and plenty of IoT devices. I'm toying with getting a GT-AX6000 since it's on sale for $260 USD (Amazon & Newegg) and supports Merlin. Would I be a masochist trying to use the AX68U with 1Gb service instead of getting a new Cadillac (GT-AX6000)?

EDIT
RMerlin is suggesting the RT-AX88U Pro in another thread. Looks like this is it for $350 USD (ouch):
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BTTY7QFH

Last edited:
I've tried to keep the AC86U going with nightly reboots since the AX68U 2.4 GHz range sucked in comparison. If I'm upgrading to 1Gb service, I don't want to set myself up for failure with having to tweak everything to death to obtain close to that speed with the AX68U. I rarely hear anyone say anything positive in this forum about the AX68U.

I rarely hear anyone say anything positive in this forum about the AX68U.

This model disappeared from Canadian retailers months ago. It was replaced by multiple RT-AX58U and V2 hardware variants - all RT-AX58U/AX3000, GS-AX3000/AX5400, RT-AX82U, TUF-AX3000/AX5400, etc. Seems like the chipset used for both radios was giving too much trouble. It had a long history of 5GHz connection issues. This was the only model in existence using BCM6710 for 5GHz. Not popular on SNB Forums for above reasons.

@Amiga
Hot Deals Post Currently GT-AX6000 $260 USD.
I'm running 6000 as Main with AC86 as an AP. I've experienced zero issues with our network, regarding hardware running RMerlin FW.

Last edited:
GT-AX6000 is a popular choice for people who don't care about how the router looks. The same hardware as RT-AX88U Pro.
Count me in. My GT-AX6000 "Facehugger Edition" is located safely and securely inside a dark closet on top of my server rack/patch panel where I don't have to see its sweet, sweet Aura RGB LEDs. ;)

@ Clark & Viktor
What is the broadband speed you guys have?

Didn't take the plunge yet on a router upgrade, but might be getting 1.5Gb whether I need it or not.

Last edited:
@ Christ & Viktor

Didn't take the plunge yet on a router upgrade, but might be getting 1.5Gb whether I need it or not.
I've got 1.2Gbps down and 20Mbps up. VPN speeds vary based on distance, but usually around 200Mbps with local servers using Nord.

I've tried to keep the AC86U going with nightly reboots since the AX68U 2.4 GHz range sucked in comparison. If I'm upgrading to 1Gb service, I don't want to set myself up for failure with having to tweak everything to death to obtain close to that speed with the AX68U. I rarely hear anyone say anything positive in this forum about the AX68U.
Ax68U owner.
Previously as router now as access point (I migrated to an openwrt router in the meantime).
No wifi problems, no reboots, no hangups.
Its range Is better than the tplink eap245 I used before and the speed Is similar if not better.

Last edited:
Yeah, I don't know where the hatred for the AX68U is coming from. I've replaced two AC68Us that had non-stop issues losing the 2.4GHz WiFi network over the past year with two AX68Us and have had zero problems. Maybe it's only a "Canada thing", but I'm not sure where they're getting this info about Asus discontinuing the AX68U. That's simply inaccurate.

Yeah, I don't know where the hatred for the AX68U is coming from. I've replaced two AC68Us that had non-stop issues losing the 2.4GHz WiFi network over the past year with two AX68Us and have had zero problems. Maybe it's only a "Canada thing", but I'm not sure where they're getting this info about Asus discontinuing the AX68U. That's simply inaccurate.
The hatred comes from the chipset It seems.
Anyway let the hate spread, more Ax68U in the used marked for low prices 😁

Wait for it to become EoL and the prices will drop further. There is no hate, but technical details around this device. This is where firmware delays come from. All other devices using this radio configuration were already replaced by something else. Driver related issues are Broadcom, not Asus. No matter what the issue is - better avoid this model unless you want cheap. Clearance units were offered for USD96 equivalent here in Canada. It's around USD110 on Amazon US for quite some time. Some may see it as a good deal. Everyone is free to make own purchase decisions after all.

Wait for it to become EoL and the prices will drop further.
If it'll become EOL in the next few months I'll buy an Asus AX4200 or a Netgear wax206, put openwrt on it and live an happy life for the next 10 years or more 🤷🏻
I've finished chasing the next wonderful incredible outstanding 399,99$ offer from Asus. Sorry to say, but the last real outstanding router from Asus was the AC68U, almost 10 years of support, a real deal. After that only short life models.

Last edited:
Sounds like a good plan. You can get very good Qualcomm hardware for $90 (Amazon US) for this purpose. I see it in some signatures already. More knowledge opens more possibilities. Agree on AC68U. The most successful Asus router model overall. Unusual long support was provided for AiMesh marketing purposes though.

Contrary to your expectations about my opinion, in OP case:

1. If you already have RT-AX68U available - use it or continue using it until it lasts (see post #2)
2. If you need a new Asus router today - get a better model with longer expected support like RT-AX86U Pro

In @DocUmibozu eventual further path case:

1. Instead of Asus TUF-AX4200 MediaTek hardware take a look at Dynalink DL-WRX36 Qualcomm hardware

I'm not attached to brands and I don't recommend "one size fits all" solutions. I also don't represent my opinions as facts and don't backup my opinions with my business. Instead, I explain why something is better/worse from a technical stand point. The readers may agree/disagree and this is perfectly fine.
Qualcomm is way worse than mediatek in OSS support. Filogic chipset are full supported under Openwrt and way less problematic.

I have plans to play with OpenWrt on x86 this fall and see how it goes. The board is available already. May turn into good option. I did receive DL-WRX36 as well few weeks ago, and GL-MT2500 is waiting for attention (or trouble, not sure yet). Collecting some toys around and we can share the results after some time. Wrapping up my summer outdoor activities and preparing for indoor fun. I haven't touched and dissected anything in last few months. :)

I did receive DL-WRX36 as well few weeks ago, and GL-MT2500 is waiting for attention (or trouble, not sure yet).

It'll go well, be sure... and you won't come back....
MT2500 seems unsupported by now.
DL-WRX36 is supported, but consider that NSS is disabled under openwrt, so no HW/NAT acceleration (that's one of the consequences of no full OSS support by Qualcomm). There are also some reports of very high memory consumption with few clients connected.
However we are going out of topic... see ya on openwrt forum

@ Clark & Viktor

1.2/40 from ISP (comcrap).
Two months ago, ditched all their other services/equipment, and kept data with my Arris s33.
FYI didn't realize, until modem installation, that isp has complete control over modem, while using their pushed fw.
Now waiting for their speed upgrade :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Just replaced the ac86u with the GT-AX6000 (running unROGed Merlin on it). Both are very good routers, I loved the ac86u, but I got 2000/500 WAN now, so the GT-AX6000 was the obvious choice because it has two 2,5Gbps ports. Ugly as hell, but I put it to a position where I do not see it very often (actually I like the body, I just hate the antennas, because it makes the router look gimmicky and a little cheap toyish in my opinion).

I expect more and more sales on this one, because new ROG models are coming out and the target audience ("gamers" who have a lot of money to burn) will probably go for the new and "better" models, so not many will buy it for the original price perhaps (?).

The first unit I received died after a few days, but zero issues with the one I have now. The AC86u was an awesome router of its time, but this one is considerable faster, you can easily feel it in Entware. I can recommend, I hope Merlin will support it for a long time.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!