What's new

AC86U Fault

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Grtman

New Around Here
My new AX86U has some weird faults. Worse fault followed a reboot; after which the main SSID name was replaced by the custom router login name, the later being unchanged. The second fault was IP addresses on the LAN side being incorrectly set by the router outside the specified IP DHCP range. Third, router set IP addresses showing as Static. I’m inclined to send it back. Any suggestions?

My new AX86U has some weird faults. Worse fault followed a reboot; after which the main SSID name was replaced by the custom router login name, the later being unchanged. The second fault was IP addresses on the LAN side being incorrectly set by the router outside the specified IP DHCP range. Third, router set IP addresses showing as Static. I’m inclined to send it back. Any suggestions?

Perhaps try a re-flash and a hard reset.

OE

I'm not sure about your issue regarding the custom router login name. The issue of IP addresses on the LAN side being outside the specified IP DHCP range... This happened with my AX86U when I swapped it out directly with my previous Asus router.

Despite having defined the DHCP range it seems that the devices hold their IP addresses from the previous Asus router's DHCP (which I had also set to specific static IP addresses) and when I swapped the router those devices seemed to want to hold the same exact IP they had before... as long as the router's IP was the same as the previous router's IP. Your devices might be simply holding their IPs they acquired via DHCP previous to you manually setting the IP range. So there is no need to panic since this seems to be normal behavior.

The third issue is the same as I mentioned above. If they were static addresses before they will be static on the new router even though they hadn't yet been manually added in the static IP listing (with their MAC addresses) on the new router. This actually saved me a lot of hassle setting up my AX86U because it kept all the previous client addresses the same. I took the additional step of adding them as they were to the AX86Us static address list so that for some reason they do not change in the future.

Therefore the answer to your dilemma is NO there is nothing your new router is doing with the second and third issue that all of my new AX86Us aren't doing. I can't say why the Asus routers seem to do this or if all routers do this but in my case it saved me time. Your first issue about the custom router name... I don't have an answer to except just try manually change it again... it should hold your new settings. If these issues continue to bother you then you could try a full router reset and start your setup again from scratch. Make sure you power off then on all your client devices before they acquire a DHCP address from the reset router. Good luck.

Last edited:
I am withdrawing my question about the AX86U. It might be finger trouble. I think the IP address out of range was because I did not power off WiFi connected devices leaving them with the old DHCP issued addresses. I guess the router does not close down out of range IP addresses on the LAN after a range is configured. Those old addresses then show up as Static. The swapping of the router login text with the SSID I'm going to blame Roboform for. I think somehow after a Roboform login, I re-logined again, which caused the network name to be reconfigured. I'll come back on this query if I get further news, but for the moment please ignore the question. Thanks to OzarkEdge for his reply above! Mike

I am withdrawing my question about the AX86U. It might be finger trouble. I think the IP address out of range was because I did not power off WiFi connected devices leaving them with the old DHCP issued addresses. I guess the router does not close down out of range IP addresses on the LAN after a range is configured. Those old addresses then show up as Static. The swapping of the router login text with the SSID I'm going to blame Roboform for. I think somehow after a Roboform login, I re-logined again, which caused the network name to be reconfigured. I'll come back on this query if I get further news, but for the moment please ignore the question. Thanks to OzarkEdge for his reply above! Mike
Yes, exactly as described in the previous replies to your original post... A router reset (hard reset) and powering off/on the clients should help resolve issues two and three. It's good to know you have the first issue resolved with the router login name related to a Roboform login.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!