What's new

AC86U overheating

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

61C, nothing to worry about. Node/AP runs cooler.

It will die form something else, not from overheating. :D

Alright, I purchased the pad recommended by @Tivi - 2.5mm
My radios are fine, just need to change the CPU pad.
Thanks for the help, I'll let you know
If you decide to use these 2.5 mm pads for the radios, they will barely touch the heatsink. Maybe tighten the screws on that side a little more (but not too much!) to make the heatsink press closer to the board.
The CPU will probably be fine even with 2 mm but the radio ICs would normally need 3 mm.

If you decide to use these 2.5 mm pads for the radios, they will barely touch the heatsink. Maybe tighten the screws on that side a little more (but not too much!) to make the heatsink press closer to the board.
The CPU will probably be fine even with 2 mm but the radio ICs would normally need 3 mm.
I ordered the one that was recommended (2.5mm), I didn't know the exact spec.
Radios hover around 50°C so I don't think I will touch them, especially after you said should be 3mm.

The Amazon delivery is coming early than expected, later today I should receive the pad and make the swap. Fingers crossed I don't break anything!

In the meantime, enjoy my poor AC86U running on one core:
Bash:
cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp

In the meantime, enjoy my poor AC86U running on one core:
Bash:
cat /sys/class/thermal/thermal_zone0/temp
I don't know how to interpret this number. If it means 96 C - that's a killer temp for a CPU chip.
I would have shut the device down or tried to cool it right away. But that's just me. :)

I replaced the CPU thermal pad yesterday and I haven't broken anything, this is success! :)

The CPU temp is not great, but has dropped by at least 15°C.

I think is enough to make it last.

1655710506474.png

FWIW - I just attached the USB fans to AC86U (running 386.4). Located in master bed room walk-in closet. CPU temps dropped 33C from 85C down to 52C.
2.4 = 55C down to 44C
5.0 = 60C down to 50C
CPU = 85C down to 52C
I will probably upgrade the router next year.

I took the plunge and replaced just the CPU pink pad with the 2.5mm gray version.

Without a fan in a 22C room my 86U was consistently going above 90C and wigging out. This was a significant worsening in its condition. I put a USB fan directly on it and could keep the temp down to the low 60s. Now, without a fan, I'm around 73C. With a fan, 53C.

Not as good as the AX88 holding steady at 48, but OK.

An unanticipated benefit was an improvement of my download speed from the low 700s up to full speed on my gigabit download. Probably just post hoc, ergo propter hoc and unrelated.

Last edited:
I took the plunge and replaced just the CPU pink pad with the 2.5mm gray version.

Without a fan in a 22C room my 86U was consistently going above 90C and wigging out. This was a significant worsening in its condition. I put a USB fan directly on it and could keep the temp down to the low 60s. Now, without a fan, I'm around 73C.

Not as good as the AX88 holding steady at 48, but OK.

An unanticipated benefit was an improvement of my download speed from the low 700s up to full speed on my gigabit download. Probably just post hoc, ergo propter hoc and unrelated.
Iam holding in a 35 degrees for the CPU with coppermod and fan.

Using an AC Infinity 120mm F3 fan USB to 4pin:

It sits on top of a 120mm fan filter and it's blowing down into the router thru the fan filter.

Temps were 45/48/75°C before and now it's 34/39/41°C for 2.4ghz/5ghz/CPU with an ambient temperature of 17.6°C.

I know this is the AX-92U setup but hopefully something similar can be adopted for other models that needs the appropriate cooling solution.

I've also got a similar dual fan setup with the AC Infinity fans (S7 for the dual 120mm fans) on the home entertainment system as well.

Fan life is good for 7 years or so running 24/7. Folks have ran it 24/7 for longer than 7 years and it's still going strong.

Screenshot_20230423_103033_Brave.jpg
20230424_162016.jpg

@Tech9 do you recommend specifically the brand of Tylenol or is generic acetaminophen fine to use?

The amount of modifications that people have gone through to achieve lower temperatures amazes me.
Screenshot 2023-04-25 at 08-35-19 ASUS Wireless Router RT-AC86U - Temperature.png

My AC86 purchased May 2018 (formerly my Main router), and without any additional cooling. I left the temps in C, for those 99% of people that won't learn Standard ;)

Last edited:
I use an AC Infinity fan, CPU temps on a +30 (Celcius) day are around 50 degree with the fan speed on medium, placed behind the fan, it makes virtually no sound even on max speed. Good quality fan which last very long. I have several on my audio equipment which have been running 24/7 for years now.

And no, I don't work for AC Infinity

This fan

That company ac infinity seems to have moved from component cooling to hydroponic/greenhouse supplier. Looked at them for a home-lab cooling solution, but use a usb laptop cooler for a fraction of the cost.
RE: post #34
I'm addicted to placebos. I could quit, but it wouldn't matter.
Steven Wright

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!