What's new

AC86U Upgrade

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bilboSNB

Does the AX86U have a faster processor than the AC86U, if not what is the next model up that does and is supported by Rmerlin?

Edit looks like the ax is quad vs the ac dual core, so assuming better open vpn performance? Or is openvpn still single core?

Last edited:
Does the AX86U have a faster processor than the AC86U, if not what is the next model up that does and is supported by Rmerlin?

Edit looks like the ax is quad vs the ac dual core, so assuming better open vpn performance? Or is openvpn still single core?

OpenVPN itself is single threaded. It will only perform better to the extent that its access to that thread is NOT being shared w/ other processes due to the availability of other cores by those other processes. Bottomline, unless you're pushing that router to the max for some reason, it's NOT going to make much difference.

If you had to buy one today, which would you pick between the ax88u and the ax86u, if they were both the same price?

The AX86U is likely where I'll go next from my AC86U, which has been flawless for the 3-4 years I've been using it so far. It replaced the AC68U, so I should continue with the vertical standing theme really.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!