What's new

AC86U USB Drives not recognized & Time Machine not working

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

raduray, hardware used on each model router will determine which firmware is used. Were I a manufacturer, I would build common code to support a particular cpu class and then just compile different versions to support different models. ASUS chose some variation of Linux for my model and probably yours too but for mine ASUS messed up something associated with AFP which prevents my Mac’s Time Machine from connecting to ASUS’s Time Machine.
Aah, OK. I guess ASUS QA dropped the ball in its regression testing somewhere along the line from versions P to U.

raduray, hardware used on each model router will determine which firmware is used. Were I a manufacturer, I would build common code to support a particular cpu class and then just compile different versions to support different models.

If I were a manufacturer that someone reverse engineered my backup protocol, well - going third party, and take your chances...

It'll likely fail when you need it most...

Just received an email from ASUS. They confirmed that there is a bug with Time Machine and that it will be resolved in the next firmware release. I asked for an approximate target date on that release.

I also just received a response from Asus that this is a known bug, but they couldn't provide an ETA on the next firmware release.

I just updated to:
Current Version : 3.0.0.4.384_32797-g907bbdf
Time Machine still broke on my AC-86U.

I just updated to:
Current Version : 3.0.0.4.384_32797-g907bbdf
Time Machine still broke on my AC-86U.

I also got 3.0.0.4.384_32797-g907bbdf, but results in the same error message as before:

The operation couldn’t be completed. (OSStatus error 2.)

And I was hoping the USB3 fix for drives over 2 TB would help....

I also got 3.0.0.4.384_32797-g907bbdf, but results in the same error message as before:

The operation couldn’t be completed. (OSStatus error 2.)

And I was hoping the USB3 fix for drives over 2 TB would help....
After several email exchanges with ASUS support and detail regarding new update I confirmed no USB fix. No ETA either.

After several email exchanges with ASUS support and detail regarding new update I confirmed no USB fix. No ETA either.

Appreciate the update, I just got finished writing them asking if that was supposed to be the fix. I guess it's better that it wasn't supposed to fix things as long as they still acknowledge there's a problem. Then again I'm not expecting much at this point...

ASUS has provided me with a beta version of firmware that resolves the Time Machine issue. Not sure of ASUS's timetable for releasing but it shouldn't be too much longer.

ASUS has provided me with a beta version of firmware that resolves the Time Machine issue. Not sure of ASUS's timetable for releasing but it shouldn't be too much longer.
But does it fix the problem? In my case the drive will unmount after a few minutes. I have tried bus powered and AC powered drives with the same result.

But does it fix the problem? In my case the drive will unmount after a few minutes. I have tried bus powered and AC powered drives with the same result.
My MacBook Time Machine has performed flawless backups to USB hard drive attached to ASUS RT-AC86U using its Time Machine function for the past 24 hours.

What brand and size of drive? I would prefer bus powered.
What is the firmware version? The real test is weeks as when it was working it would eventually fail and I had to start over.

What brand and size of drive? I would prefer bus powered.
What is the firmware version? The real test is weeks as when it was working it would eventually fail and I had to start over.
It is a Western Digital 1TB USB drive

This is good to know, thanks. I just hope you were having the same issue I have. I'm using a 4 TB Western Digital and tried a 5 TB as well and both result in "The operation couldn’t be completed. (OSStatus error 2.)" when i try to select the Asus in the Time Machine menu.

Same issue though I can’t test for a drive >1TB

Same issue though I heard that there was also an issue with drives larger than 1TB. I can’t test that.
The last firmware update I did mentioned something about that (hopefully the same issue): "Fixed USB hard drive over 2TB compatibility issues."

Is your drive USB 3 or 2?

The last firmware update I did mentioned something about that (hopefully the same issue): "Fixed USB hard drive over 2TB compatibility issues."

Is your drive USB 3 or 2?
USB 3

Great, I guess I'll reply to my ASUS tech support email response, but mostly I'll just be waiting for them to push the fix you have...
Be aware that the beta firmware that I am using has a couple of "flaws"; memory hog and adding unneeded directories to my USB drive, both of which ASUS says will not be in final release.

I connected a drive today and tried a Time Machine backup and it worked.

Here's what I did...
1. Drive size 1 TB - 2 Partitions....(Partition 1 - 250GB / Partition 2 - 750GB). Both partitions formatted as ex-FAT on the Macbook prior to connecting to the router. Partition 2 was meant for the Time Machine backup.
2. Connected router to the USB 3 port, and enabled Time Machine backup in the router interface, selected Partition 2 for Time Machine.
3. Went to Time Machine preferences on the Macbook and selected "Add or Remove Backup Disk".
4. Selected the backup disk on RTR-AC86U.
5. Selected encrypt backup and put in an appropriate secure password for encryption.

I'm using router firmware version: 3.0.0.4.384_32799

I connected a drive today and tried a Time Machine backup and it worked.

Here's what I did...
1. Drive size 1 TB - 2 Partitions....(Partition 1 - 250GB / Partition 2 - 750GB). Both partitions formatted as ex-FAT on the Macbook prior to connecting to the router. Partition 2 was meant for the Time Machine backup.
2. Connected router to the USB 3 port, and enabled Time Machine backup in the router interface, selected Partition 2 for Time Machine.
3. Went to Time Machine preferences on the Macbook and selected "Add or Remove Backup Disk".
4. Selected the backup disk on RTR-AC86U.
5. Selected encrypt backup and put in an appropriate secure password for encryption.

I'm using router firmware version: 3.0.0.4.384_32799
I misunderstood your post. I will attempt your solution.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!