What's new

Beta AC86U_386.1_beta4 Is it available? High Running Temps on CPU

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ASadani

It there a AC86U_386.1_beta4 available?

The Temperature on CPU on AC86U, 386.1_beta 3 is as follows
Legend: 2.4 GHz - 5 GHz - CPU
Current Temperatures: 48 °C - 54 °C - 91 °C

Whereas the Temperature on CPU on AX88U 384.19 is as follows
Legend: 2.4 GHz - 5 GHz - CPU
Current Temperatures: 47 °C - 49 °C - 75 °C

Also if I update the firmware of the primary router, how can I update the firmware of the node? Is there a way to connect to the node for the update?

Not yet. But you can just enable the CPU wait state yourself to fix the temperature issue.
Bash:
pwr config --wait on

You can upgrade node firmware from the primary router's administration. Firmware Upgrade tab.

Not yet. But you can just enable the CPU wait state yourself to fix the temperature issue.
Bash:
pwr config --wait on

You can upgrade node firmware from the primary router's administration. Firmware Upgrade tab.

Thanks for your reply. What does that command do. Will I loose out on any features. Do I have to run the command on every boot?
I believe it is fixed in .4 of the firmware. I might as well leave it

You have to run it on every boot, or just put it in a script like init-start.

Asus disabled the CPU wait feature in their code, which causes the temperature to be much higher. RMerlin reverted the change and will be officially fixed in the next beta release.

There are also a number of after market fans that are powered via USB that you can buy to attach to the back of your router; just do a search in the forum for more information.

I got a couple of these in the UK summer 2020 for my DSL-AC68U as I thought the router was going to overheat with the ambient temperature and everyone hammering it as we were all at home.

WIFI or CPU rarely break 45 degrees celcius now :cool:; although noise is noticeable as the router/fans are right next to my desk.

EDIT - Although I admit this does not resolve any underlying problem; it's only a workaround.

Last edited:
But you can just enable the CPU wait state yourself to fix the temperature issue.
Just to be clear, this reverts one specific change that contributes to the problem. But B3 is running hotter even after this reversion. In the case of my 86U, it is 8C hotter. Without the cpu wait state in place, it is 8C hotter than that.

Maybe I'm misremembering here, but any chance this is load-related?

I haven't confirmed by rolling back, but i noticed my router has a load average around 2 constantly, even when essentially idle. This seems high, and wondering if it's contributing?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!