What's new

ac87 upgrade?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

EspHack

Occasional Visitor
hey there,

I've had this AC87U working almost flawlessly since 2018 or so, only issue being it fails to reboot as scheduled from time to time thus needing a manual reboot, and now I've noticed it stops logging network data usage kinda randomly and hangs the whole web UI until a manual reboot, apart from that it works great, but I'm guessing it might be nearing its end so I went looking for replacements,

so far the AC88U caught my eye, basically a steal of a deal just like my old 87U was, the AX86 gets all the praise but out of my budget, AX88 not-so-liked and about same price,

any other models I should consider? my current usage is a single desktop near it, a single phone on 5ghz and the occasional 2.4ghz visitor or the odd day I might need wifi down at the garage, I like the QoS thingy that magically kills lag on games regardless of other devices torrenting or whatever and thats about it for must-have features

interesting to note that my lumia 950 could get ~600-700mbps up/down on 5ghz whereas later phones hardly reach 200mbps

You might try replacing the wall wart power supply to the unit. Pretty common failure that can result in weird issues.
Otherwise, i recall a lot of issues with the AC88u and it should be EOL and not supported by now. But confirm my memory.
Save up to upgrade to a better AX-yyy if you want to stay in ASUS. Range will be about the same.
What about using your ISP's wireless router since your needs seem limited ?

any other models I should consider?

I don't know what country you live in, but RT-AX58U V2 (also called RT-AX3000 2V) or TUF-AX3000 V2 are usually under $140. They are good entry-level AX-class hardware build around BCM6756 SoC with quad-core 1.7GHz CPU and integrated 2x2 2.4GHz/5GHz radios. TUF model even has 2.5GbE WAN port for >Gigabit ISP. Both run Asuswrt 4.0 firmware (3.0.0.4.388 code base) and have recent Asuswrt-Merlin fork available from GNUton.

You might try replacing the wall wart power supply to the unit. Pretty common failure that can result in weird issues.
Otherwise, i recall a lot of issues with the AC88u and it should be EOL and not supported by now. But confirm my memory.
Save up to upgrade to a better AX-yyy if you want to stay in ASUS. Range will be about the same.
What about using your ISP's wireless router since your needs seem limited ?
i hate the ISP and huawei enough that I went to the trouble of setting up a fiber modem from ubiquiti

so there are no worthwhile upgrades other than AX models?
I don't know what country you live in, but RT-AX58U V2 (also called RT-AX3000 2V) or TUF-AX3000 V2 are usually under $140. They are good entry-level AX-class hardware build around BCM6756 SoC with quad-core 1.7GHz CPU and integrated 2x2 2.4GHz/5GHz radios. TUF model even has 2.5GbE WAN port for >Gigabit ISP. Both run Asuswrt 4.0 firmware (3.0.0.4.388 code base) and have recent Asuswrt-Merlin fork available from GNUton.

can't find that v2 on US amazon/ebay, v1 is a tricore it seems, also noticed the AX68 around that price with 3x3 radios but dual core, its a little newer so would that mean longer support?

AX86S is also around the same price with yet another 5g stream, seems like all decent models are bunched up around 100-140 usd

I see, its either ax58 or x86u/s then

apparently the ax58/x3000 v2 cant run merlin, but the v1 can, I'm running a modded adaptive qos so thats no bueno