What's new

New Router and Network upgrade

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ClaretAL

New Around Here
Hi All, I am looking at upgrading my home set up to 1gig and looking at improving the WiFi with it. I currently have a Netgear Nighthawk R7800 and although been ok found it a pain to navigate, and the wifi is not very good. I have recently upgraded to a 1gig line and want to get the best out of it, both wired and Wifi but predominantly wifi. My house is brick walls with 7 rooms over 3 floors so was considering a mesh network and was looking at the zen XT8/XT9 or the EEro 6+pro, but after reading some comments on here looks like I may be going down the wrong path, so wanted to tap in to your knowledge if you don't mind please, and open to recommendations up to £400

If you were to use some sort of "mesh" system would you be able to connect the satellite access points to the main router by ethernet or would it have to be wireless? Answering that question would have a big influence on how you proceed.

I am looking at a 3 system 2 downstairs (1 being the router) connected by cat 7 and 1 upstairs wirelessly.

I had to disconnect my R7800 as it kept dropping once the new ISP line was put in, I factory rest multiple times and IPv6 auto set up as i have no idea around DNS and dhcp tables but I presume it has something to do with that, but as soon as I connect the router the ISP provided it has been steady as a rock over LAN but Wifi is rubbish, but what you would expect from an ISP router I suppose. In the event in makes any difference on setting up a router the ISP is Brsk

I had to disconnect my R7800 as it kept dropping once the new ISP line was put in, I factory rest multiple times and IPv6 auto set up as i have no idea around DNS and dhcp tables but I presume it has something to do with that, but as soon as I connect the router the ISP provided it has been steady as a rock over LAN but Wifi is rubbish, but what you would expect from an ISP router I suppose. In the event in makes any difference on setting up a router the ISP is Brsk
Is your plan to keep the ISP router and add two satellite AP's, one downstairs and one upstairs? So mostly ignoring the ISP router's Wi-Fi. Or do you want to replace the ISP router with your own device? If it's the latter then you need to work out why you're having problems with the R7800. Otherwise it's likely whatever device you buy as a replacement router will have the same issue.

Is your plan to keep the ISP router and add two satellite AP's, one downstairs and one upstairs? So mostly ignoring the ISP router's Wi-Fi. Or do you want to replace the ISP router with your own device? If it's the latter then you need to work out why you're having problems with the R7800. Otherwise it's likely whatever device you buy as a replacement router will have the same issue.
I want to replace the ISP router, but yes get your point.

@ClaretAL

My ISP router works just fine but, I prefer more control than their device provides. I had a R7800 and it worked fine until they started pushing tons of firmware updates that tended to break more when fixing the initial issues. However, as a router it worked fine and the WIFI was what ended up not working great. I ended up going DIY because I didn't see any reason to throw more money at off the shelf options.

DIY allowed me to internalize the AP function within the PC case and worked better. AX came along and no usable WIFI cards came out but, BE is upon us and there's a Qualcomm based card out that's $35 from CN right now. Sure beats the $400-$1500 companies are charging for the new WIFI 7 boxes they're peddling.

I guess what I'm trying to say is... disable the WIFI on the R7800 and add a couple of APs is the easy way to deal with the issues you're seeing. The extreme option would be going DIY and fix it a bit mote permanently. Networking is a rabbit hole though and only ends when you decide to stop chasing performance.

@ClaretAL

My ISP router works just fine but, I prefer more control than their device provides. I had a R7800 and it worked fine until they started pushing tons of firmware updates that tended to break more when fixing the initial issues. However, as a router it worked fine and the WIFI was what ended up not working great. I ended up going DIY because I didn't see any reason to throw more money at off the shelf options.

DIY allowed me to internalize the AP function within the PC case and worked better. AX came along and no usable WIFI cards came out but, BE is upon us and there's a Qualcomm based card out that's $35 from CN right now. Sure beats the $400-$1500 companies are charging for the new WIFI 7 boxes they're peddling.

I guess what I'm trying to say is... disable the WIFI on the R7800 and add a couple of APs is the easy way to deal with the issues you're seeing. The extreme option would be going DIY and fix it a bit mote permanently. Networking is a rabbit hole though and only ends when you decide to stop chasing performance.
So you would advise to stick to a straight wifi 2ghz 5ghz network as opposed to a mesh system provided from x9 or x8? Black Friday is around the corner so had them x8 x9 or Erro system in my sights but you have got me thinking .

So you would advise to stick to a straight wifi 2ghz 5ghz network as opposed to a mesh system provided from x9 or x8? Black Friday is around the corner so had them x8 x9 or Erro system in my sights but you have got me thinking .
BF doesn't mean savings nor does Prime day as they bump the prices up before the sale hits to make it more appealing.

6ghz won't do much for you unless you're right on top of it with a client. Now if your space was pre wired then blanketing it with APs would give you 6ghz coverage and benefits.

So narrowed it down to either of the below, obviously 1 is more expensive but is it worth the extra money? Priority is Wifi Reach, coverage and speed, probably going to need two devices crating a mesh network

If you really want Asus ZenWiFi set - get one from a place with return options and try. It may not work well in your brick walls and perhaps concrete floors house. The speed and coverage - many countries have 200mW power restriction on lower 5GHz channels. Many have no upper 5GHz channels available with wireless backhaul DFS dependent. Check what's the situation in your country before making a decision. Multiple wired APs may be your only available option for coverage and speed. Ubiquiti UniFi, TP-Link Omada, Zyxel even low-end Cisco have good for home application PoE APs options. Also AiMesh is more marketing name and less "mesh". Very limited control. Controller driven multi-AP systems offer better roaming as well.

Hi All, I am looking at upgrading my home set up to 1gig and looking at improving the WiFi with it. I currently have a Netgear Nighthawk R7800 and although been ok found it a pain to navigate, and the wifi is not very good. I have recently upgraded to a 1gig line and want to get the best out of it, both wired and Wifi but predominantly wifi. My house is brick walls with 7 rooms over 3 floors so was considering a mesh network and was looking at the zen XT8/XT9 or the EEro 6+pro, but after reading some comments on here looks like I may be going down the wrong path, so wanted to tap in to your knowledge if you don't mind please, and open to recommendations up to £400

Since you have good routers already - the R7800 from Netgear is quite good for an all in one, or what some might refer to as a big honking router (BHR)...

Mesh is likely your better option considering the footprint your trying to cover. - I would suggest looking into the Netgear Orbi's

No matter what you choose @ClaretAL make sure you can test it in your environment and return it if it doesn't work as expected.